Leaving on all the time??

JoshK

« on: 4 Mar 2003, 04:50 pm »
I have a question because of an odd problem I have with my system.  I am forced to power up the preamp, wait till it warms up a bit and then turn on my amp.  If I do it the other way around the pop made by the preamp when the tubes heat up causes the amp to shut off (protector circuitry) which is really annoying.  So if I am playing around with switching IC's or other stuff then I have to power down the whole system.  

I am wondering. The rest of my system draws minimal current on idle (thanks to the digital amp).  Can the Ultra 2m be left on continually? I know this will wear the tubes out sooner but there are only two and I am sure that powering on and off all the time isn't great for the tubes anyhow.  What are you thoughts on this?

(P.S. I will only do this once I get a good line conditioner so I don't have to worry about surges taking out my system)

Brad

« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2003, 06:56 pm »
Josh,

Leave it on all the time.
Tube life should be 5-10k hours.
Replacement tubes are $15/set at this point.

Convenience!!!

Wocius

« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2003, 08:14 pm »
Quote from: Brad
Leave it on all the time.
Tube life should be 5-10k hours.
Replacement tubes are $15/set at this point.

Brad,

I make 5-10k hours to be about 10.5 months on average, if left on all the time, but many years if left on only when listening.  Even if replacement tubes are only ~$15, 10.5 months still seems like a short useful life.  Is the wear and tear of turning the gear on and off every time so serious, in terms of tube and component life?

Wocius

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2003, 08:53 pm »
what kinda toobs are those - 6sn7's?  good ones will run a *lot* more than $15 - *each*.  i'd yust turn the pre on/off as needed.  but, regardless of how ya operate it, pearl tube coolers should extend toob life considerably - at least double, depending on application...

http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/pcx_tubes_1.0.pdf

of course, (shameless plug time!   :) ) if the toobs are microphonic at all, ya mite wanna get yust a *little* extra cooling, w/great reduction in microphonics, for better sound, & buy a pair of the midas toob dampers i have for sale here!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=1373

doug s.

Brad

« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2003, 10:00 pm »
12sc7's & 12sn7gt's in the Ultra 4m

12SN7GT in the Line 2m

If I'm not going to be listening for several days, I'll turn everything off.
If I know I'll be able to listen the next day, I'll generally leave everything on.   Tubes wearing out are also a good excuse to tube roll   :wink: