CD player to match w/Tempest and Stratos

djbnh

« on: 2 May 2003, 02:19 am »
I am soliciting input re: new CD player to go w/my system. I have a Tempest pre, running an NAD 2200PE while awaiting delivery of a Stratos w/cap upgrade.

Has anyone run the AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD player w/ the TjoUpsampler 24 Bit /192 kHz Upsampling Board, in conjunction w/ the Tempest-Stratos combination? Also, are there any other suggestions for cd players, tubed or SS (the 4000 is tubed) around this price point?

In advance, thanks for your responses.

BlackCat

« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2003, 02:42 pm »
I have the Ah! and a Rega Planet going into my Xtreme Monoblocks through a passive preamp (Monolithic Audio). Both are in the same price range $800-$1000.  The Ah! is a DIY'ers dream, even comes with a set of Torx wrenches so you can get inside it and play with the tubes.  The Rega has an elegance all of its own.  I slightly prefer the Rega for musicality, but the Ah! is warmer because of the tubes.  Also, you get to roll the tubes in the Ah!, guaranteeing that you will spend hundreds of $$ in the future trying to find the 1960's vintage tube that sounds great to you.  Honestly, give both of them a listen with the Odyssey setup,  the synergy is excellent.

KeithR

« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2003, 07:37 pm »
I had a CAL CL-15 that worked great with my Stratos once upon a time.  Great build quality too.  You can also try running it direct and see what happens...

drphoto

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2003, 08:40 pm »
I had the Ah 4000 (but no upsampler) w/ Odyssey. My Stan Warren modded aiwa/MSB Link Dac spanks it. You may be able to find one of these set-ups on AG.

Or try to find a norh CD1 or oem version of that. Excellent unit, way better than the Ah.

markC

« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2003, 10:13 pm »
I have the OEM Norh, (QDS-15), with tubed pre and Odyssey dual mono :D . Great authorative bass,smoooth mids and clean highs. You can find the odd Norh/QDS used, but you will likely pay close to full original price as they are no longer available new. I'm running 1963 Raytheon 5751 tubes in mine, and except for being too cheap to shell out for Sylvania's, they are the best sounding tubes for my ears so far that I have tried. Even run of the mill GE JAN 5751's blow 12ax7's away in my opinion.

byteme

« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2003, 06:23 pm »
Scott Nixon Tubedac www.scott-nixon.com for $350 and find a used Cal Delta or Sony DVP-S7700 for a transport for about $275.  That puts you at $625 plus $100 for a digital cable and you'll blow the doors off the Norh, Ah! or Rega.

barvindh

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2003, 01:53 am »
OK. Couldnt take it anymore.
I have been a proyd Tempest/Monoblocks owner for 3 months now
So much of a user, my wife hates me. THANKS A LOT KLAUS

Anyway. I am surprised the Arcams didnt figure
The detail is there and the music is SO SO SMOOTH
No fatigue at all, hour after hour, in a room with hardwood floors and all glass and metal

I think this is the most warm sound I have seen in a solid state setup

But wife still hates me.