New DIY Tortuga preamp completed

mikebarney

New DIY Tortuga preamp completed
« on: 20 Jun 2015, 01:52 am »
I've recently completed building a Tortuga based preamp with a Pass B1 buffer, headphone amp (Grado clone), and VU meters.
Thanks very much to Morten.
Details here:
https://sites.google.com/site/mpbarney/home/tortuga-ldr-preamp
Photo below (with an Ayre QB-9 DAC).
Mike

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: New DIY Tortuga preamp completed
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2015, 02:42 pm »
I've recently completed building a Tortuga based preamp with a Pass B1 buffer, headphone amp (Grado clone), and VU meters.
Thanks very much to Morten.
Details here:
https://sites.google.com/site/mpbarney/home/tortuga-ldr-preamp
Photo below (with an Ayre QB-9 DAC).
Mike

Holy cow there Mike, that's some project! Nicely done sir. How does it sound with the buffer output?

mikebarney

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2015, 01:38 pm »
Morten-
I think it sounds great.  The run between the preamp and the amp is over 20feet in my setup, so I felt the buffer would be required given the long cables.  Still breaking it in and getting used to it, but at some point I'll experiment with bypassing the buffer.
One note:  I really like using the Apple remote, and at first thought the 1 step in volume change per press (as opposed to press and hold) would be a PITA, but its not really.  I mute it if the phone rings, and otherwise just make relatively minor adjustments in volume.
Thanks again for providing such great toys for us DIYers.
Mike

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2015, 09:02 pm »
Morten-
I think it sounds great.  The run between the preamp and the amp is over 20feet in my setup, so I felt the buffer would be required given the long cables.  Still breaking it in and getting used to it, but at some point I'll experiment with bypassing the buffer.
One note:  I really like using the Apple remote, and at first thought the 1 step in volume change per press (as opposed to press and hold) would be a PITA, but its not really.  I mute it if the phone rings, and otherwise just make relatively minor adjustments in volume.
Thanks again for providing such great toys for us DIYers.
Mike

Very curious to find out what happens with a bypass switch.

Regarding the Apple remote and lack of auto-repeat on raise and lower I recently had a revelation on that. I bought an Apple TV "hockey puck" a while back which uses the Apple remote and discovered the remote does indeed repeat if you hold down the raise/lower buttons. So obviously that functionality is there. After some research I now know that the NEC protocol used by the Apple remote has a specific repeat subset. I suspect the Apple remote is using that repeat protocol but the Tortuga firmware definitely isn't set up for it. Something to add to the ToDo list.