My 1st mac and installing a new SSD question

flavo

My 1st mac and installing a new SSD question
« on: 13 May 2016, 12:59 am »
I have an iphone and ipad, but have always used PC's. I just bought a 2009 mac mini to use as a dedicated music server. I bought new ram and a ssd and am trying to figure out how to install the new drive and get it up and running. I found a page describing the process http://www.guidingtech.com/34311/clean-install-yosemite-os-x/ but I want to make sure I can do the set up that is described on my PC and then transfer over.
Also if there is an easier way to do it, I am all ears.
Thanks folks!  :D

Steven Stone

Re: My 1st mac and installing a new SSD question
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2016, 01:16 am »
One App you might want for your Mac "Super Duper" for cloning drives. Also a Connector that lets you attach a bare drive to your Mac via USB 2.0 or 3.0 (depending on your Mac's USB connections)- that way you can do a clone copy of your main drive to your new SSD (after you've done all your OS updates) and then switch them. Look at OtherWorld Computing for the drive adapter.

abernardi

« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2016, 02:12 am »
Welcome to the Mac side of things flavo.  A couple questions: Why Yosemite?  Why not go straight to El Capitan? 

Usually I recommend a clean install, but I just upgraded my old 2007 iMac and 2010 Mac Mini from 10.8 to El Capitan and it went flawlessly, so I think that's an easy, viable option.

Actually, as I type this, I'm going through a very similar thing right now, replacing my HD in iMac with a new SSD.  Ever since I updated to El Capitan the HD is working like crazy, I read El Capitan prefers a speedy SSD to do its thing, and I've always wanted to get the fast bootup speed from an SSD.  Anyway, I'm doing pretty much what Steven described, but slightly differently.  I got one of those USB external cradles and put a fresh SSD in there, now I'm cloning my iMac HD to it and then I'll be adding a Bootcamp partition with Windows, making it a dual system, then I'll make sure it boots up and runs smoothly from the cradle before I go through the actual installation, which is a PITA. 

So in your case, you might want to consider hooking up the raw SSD externally and do the fresh install there before actually going to the trouble of installing the drive in the Mac Mini.  If there are programs or data on the Mac Mini you want to keep, you can use the "Migration" software that Apple supplies as part of the installation (I think).  Or as I mentioned earlier, just clone and then upgrade to El Capitan. 

As to cloning, I never trusted "Time Machine" which is the Apple reccommended method for backing up.  I prefer a program called "Carbon Copy" which gives you a bootable mirror image of your drive.  But as Steven mentioned, "Super Duper" is good for that too.

Good luck with it!

vonnie123

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2016, 07:06 am »
What music software are you planning to use?   Roon, JRiver?

GentleBender

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2016, 09:30 am »
I've been using this USB 3 HDD Dock to clone HDDs when replacing spinning platters with SSDs. It is convenient to be able to clone them offline http://smile.amazon.com/Inateck-Dual-Bay-Docking-Function-Tool-free/dp/B00N1KXE9K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1463130635&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+3+hdd+dock. I've already used it for 5 PCs and 3 Macs and haven't had any issues. You could use the old HDD with the dock afterward as a Time Machine.

When I get a used computer of any flavor (Mac/Windows) I like to do a clean install since I don't know where it has been. :lol: :flame: There are plenty of tools to create a bootable USB key which will allow you to format and then install. Here is one http://mashable.com/2015/10/01/clean-install-os-x-el-capitan/#znmQbZQEIEq0

Let us know if you would like instructions on the hardware upgrades, but you should be able to find plenty on YouTube. Take your time and be careful not to damage any of the delicate cables or connectors.
« Last Edit: 13 May 2016, 12:08 pm by GentleBender »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2016, 11:23 am »
Avoid El Capitan!!

I'm a computer caveman, but when first released El Capitan was still in development (beta version).  So DACs that require drivers won't/can't be developed (kept me from buying a DAC).  My Amarra that I purchased last month has only worked intermittently (when it doesn't work I get horrible distortion).

Steven Stone

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2016, 02:32 pm »
I had similar issues with old drivers that were screwing up El Capitan - delete old drivers - especially firewire and your problems may go away - http://audiophilereview.com/audiophile-news/apple-support-makes-my-day.html
Avoid El Capitan!!

I'm a computer caveman, but when first released El Capitan was still in development (beta version).  So DACs that require drivers won't/can't be developed (kept me from buying a DAC).  My Amarra that I purchased last month has only worked intermittently (when it doesn't work I get horrible distortion).

flavo

« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2016, 02:05 pm »
Wonderful info in here, thanks so much guys. Is there a reason why I shouldn't just make a bootable usb drive? It's a new/used mac and I have no real use for any info on the OG HDD.
I looked for the connector that Steven recommended and couldn't find it. I wasn't too sure on the wording though for the search. Would that be acting the same way as a USB, just one less step?
As for the DAC and El Capitain, Is there a way to find out if my Emotiva DC-1 will work? I was figuring that it would either be recognized or I would need to install an additional driver or something. But I generally have no clue. 
Thank you

flavo

« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2016, 02:06 pm »
What music software are you planning to use?   Roon, JRiver?

I'm currently using J-River on my PC and like it. I'm not opposed to trying other services though.  Why do you ask?

flavo

« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2016, 03:05 pm »
Avoid El Capitan!!

I had similar issues with old drivers that were screwing up El Capitan - delete old drivers - especially firewire and your problems may go away - http://audiophilereview.com/audiophile-news/apple-support-makes-my-day.html

JLM, isn't your mac new? Did it come with El C installed or did you update from yosemite? Im wondering if the issue you have could be the same that steve links to?

AllynW

« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2016, 06:14 pm »
Take a look at this site, https://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/   Spend some time looking around, if a product is related to Mac, they got it and explain how to install it.

I've used the site to upgrade many a Mac.  They have the best instructional videos I have seen online.  I use Carbon Copy Cloner and a cheap usb enclosure  for HD duplication. CCC lets you use it five times before you need to buy it, very simple to figure out.  Good Luck! :)

GentleBender

« Reply #11 on: 14 May 2016, 10:41 pm »
The dual dock I use and heartily recommend does not require any computer or software. Right now it is only $34.99 on Amazon http://smile.amazon.com/Inateck-Dual-Bay-Docking-Function-Tool-free/dp/B00N1KXE9K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1463130635&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+3+hdd+dock. With the unit powered off you put the drive you want to clone in the "A" slot and the HDD to copy to in "B" slot, turn it on, hit the button and wait for it to reach 100%.  8)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 14 May 2016, 11:24 pm »
Flavo,

I use an 2012 iMac and 2014 MacBook Air (different locations, same room), so don't think drivers are "old".  Both are also personal/business use machines, so thought it was important to not get out of date.  Neither machine has Firewire.  I took El Capitan one machine at a time, but the other machine somehow got El Capitan loaded without my conscience decision.   Yes, both were previously using Yosemite.  Am  now also having issues with Amarra 3.03 that I recently installed (was using iTunes before with no issues). 

jdbrian

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jun 2016, 02:44 pm »
Just updated my 09 mini last week with a 250g SSD and 8b memory. Got the hardware from Macsales. If you buy the usb enclosure for the SSD you can partition it, copy your existing boot drive to it and then reboot in recovery and test the new SSD as your boot drive over USB. All this can be done using the OSX Disk Utility so no external software is needed.
  This allows you to preload your OS onto the SSD so that after install you are good to go.
   SSD makes a big improvement in boot up time. I am running Pure Music 3.06 and it seems to work fine using El Capitan. Running a Tranquility DAC and looking for a replacement DAC to do Hi Rez.