-Ed

warnerwh

Re: Parts Express
« Reply #41 on: 12 Mar 2005, 03:53 am »
Quote from: sbcgroup1
Oh no...a parts express amp & $400 sub:(

What is the world coming to.......

-Ed

The world is coming to be a better place for audiophiles. That's a great way to go. The amps are good and with high quality subs like VMPS you have great bass that's easy to hook up and use.  Note this is the best and most expensive amp Parts Express sells and is well designed.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
After 21 years--Powered Subs!!
« Reply #42 on: 3 Apr 2005, 08:34 pm »
Wow!!!!!!!!!!  What a coincidence!!!!!!!!!!!  The same exact amp I told Brian about, two years or so ago, when it first arrived.  Remember my posts about it back then?  

Cheers!

ScottMayo

« Reply #43 on: 10 Jun 2005, 01:49 pm »
The world is coming to be a better place for audiophiles. That's a great way to go. The amps are good and with high quality subs like VMPS you have great bass that's easy to hook up and use.  Note this is the best and most expensive amp Parts Express sells and is well designed.

Has anyone looked at Outlaw's M-200? It's also a class G (AB with downconverting power supply), it's cheaper, it has auto-shutoff, and it seems to have *much* better numbers all around. Where it falls down is in wattage - 300W into 4 ohms.

Now I realize that the human ear isn't so fussy about THD at 20Hz, and that, subjectively, more power means more impact - and stuff below 30Hz is all about impact. Few people buy subs, I'm guessing, to have purely polite, dry, restrained deep bass experiences. But I wonder if a more precision and less shatter-the-neighbors-windows power is a reasonable tradeoff. Anyone have any experience in this area?

hoosier21

« Reply #44 on: 27 Jul 2005, 05:45 pm »
Quote from: ScottMayo
Has anyone looked at Outlaw's M-200? It's also a class G (AB with downconverting power supply), it's cheaper, it has auto-shutoff, and it seems to have *much* better numbers all around. Where it falls down is in wattage - 300W into 4 ohms. quote]

Doesn't have the crossover either, so it's not a real good deal if one needs the crossover.

Russ

John B

« Reply #45 on: 13 Aug 2005, 04:15 am »
I'll be demo'ing the VMPS Dedicated Powered Sub tomorrow for some members of the Bay Area Audiophile Society.  They have heard my system with the "BOMBs", which is a bass enhancement device for my monitor speakers.  It did a pretty fair job of making small speakers (two 6" midbass drivers each) sound full range. It was a comment by one of the members of the club that got me into investigation mode for adding a powered sub.  He said that though the bass was certainly there, even down to a measured 25hz, to him it was more of an intellectual bass experience; not something exactly realistic or viseral.   Wait till he hears it now!   Nothing intellectual about B's Bass  :mrgreen:  If any local Circle members would like to join us email me at jmbeavers@sbcglobal.net for directions to the debut of some real B Bass in the Beav's system.   :lol:  The debut starts at 1 p.m.

John Casler

« Reply #46 on: 13 Aug 2005, 06:10 am »
Quote from: John B
 Nothing intellectual about B's Bass ..

Hmmmm....I wonder if B, would rather be known as intellectual, or visceral??? :o

In any event, I know mine is "aural-cerebral" with a "body punch" :rock:

jhenderson010759

• http://www.innovative-dsp.com
M200
« Reply #47 on: 13 Aug 2005, 01:38 pm »
Quote from: ScottMayo
Has anyone looked at Outlaw's M-200? It's also a class G (AB with downconverting power supply), it's cheaper, it has auto-shutoff, and it seems to have *much* better numbers all around. Where it falls down is in wattage - 300W into 4 ohms.

Now I realize that the human ear isn't so fussy about THD at 20Hz, and that, subjectively, more power means more impact - and stuff below 30Hz is all about impact. Few people buy subs, I'm guessing, to have purely polite, dry, restrained deep bass experiences. But I w ...

I use the M200s with the Poseidon subs on my primary rig.  Great amp, but you do need an external XO, such as the DCX2496 or DEQX.  

Jim

Corbin Johnson

« Reply #48 on: 7 Sep 2005, 06:30 pm »
I just purchased one of the 1000 w amps from VMPS and I'm pleasantly surprised.  I was using on of the 300 watt channels from my Cinenova 3, which I liked, but I wanted the convenience of being able to connect and separately control the input from my MiniMax preamp for stereo and my sub LFE from my surround sound receiver.  

I'm most impressed that the bass is tighter and has more punch than with the Cinenova.  The impact from a kick drum has more dynamic slam than before.  The deep sound of an acoustic bass is nice and tight with the low vibrations, but it was also equally nice and tight with the Cinenova.  I don't know if the improvement is due to the extra wattage or some other factor, but I like it.

Corbin

John Casler

« Reply #49 on: 8 Sep 2005, 12:49 am »
Quote from: Corbin Johnson
I just purchased one of the 1000 w amps from VMPS and I'm pleasantly surprised.  I was using on of the 300 watt channels from my Cinenova 3, which I liked, but I wanted the convenience of being able to connect and separately control the input from my MiniMax preamp for stereo and my sub LFE from my surround sound receiver.  

I'm most impressed that the bass is tighter and has more punch than with the Cinenova.  The impact from a kick drum has more dynamic slam than before.  The deep sound of an acoustic  ...

Hi Corbin,

Glad that the amp did the job for you.

With much more power and the ability to make all the adjustments at the amp it should allow you more "tweakability" :mrgreen: , and you know how we like that. :lol:

Did they send you a manual with the amp?  If not it is on line.  E-mail me if you need the address.  I just ask since you might want to play with the equalization capabilities too.

Corbin Johnson

« Reply #50 on: 9 Sep 2005, 01:38 pm »
John,

I did get a manual I also downloaded the graphs showing how the Q knob on equalizer can adjust the slopes.  Initially I didn't think I could hear any benefit from the equalizer since I have the crossover set around 40-50 HZ.  But after further tweaking I have found a little improvement by slightly turning down the frequency in the 20-30HZ range and turning up the overall input level accordingly.  This gives even more more impact in the low-mid bass range without the very low end overpowering the room.  I have found the equalizer adjustments to be very sensitive since the range of adjustments are very broad and I'm only using amp for the narrow frequency range of 45Hz to 20Hz.  Yes, tweakability is fun and often good.

Thanks,

Corbin

ricmon

« Reply #51 on: 18 Nov 2005, 06:00 pm »

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
amp
« Reply #52 on: 18 Nov 2005, 06:16 pm »
The sub amp is available from P.E. or from VMPS at the same price.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #53 on: 13 Dec 2005, 12:46 am »
Here it is from a canadian website:
http://www.solen.ca/sub1000.htm
Not sure on price yet...

John Casler

PBS (Powered Bass System) now available for all Floor Standers
« Reply #54 on: 29 Sep 2006, 09:21 pm »
PBS for all FLOOR STANDERS

Well things just keep getting better and better.

As most of you know, Brian, some time ago, found a 500/1000w amp with Class AB output stage with high efficiency downconverting power supply and excellent sound quality.

This was in the form of a "plate" amp, but fully enclosed to reduce vibration problems.

It has been successfully added to all the SUBs in the VMPS line.

Well I get the bright idea to power the RM40 and RM2 "bass systems" (only cabinets that it will fit in) and so came the PBS (Powered Bass System)

Downside was, you have to "cut the cabinet" and the intrusion reduces cabinet volume, as well as making it a project to mount the other binding posts.

But the feedback was pretty good, and a couple "tubeaholics" found it just what the doctor ordered.

The other problem was that it wouldn't fit the RM30.

Well now that has changed.

The amp has now been introduced as a "stand alone" component, and can be implemented to "any" of the Floorstanding speakers.  It can be placed in your equipment rack, or placed behind the speaker with your OXO, it is up to you.

I have heard some swear by short speaker cables to their woofs and others like short IC's.  No matter, since this gives you the ability to do either.

Brian, does have to "MOD" the amps to perform to his parameters, so these are not stock amps when used in the PBS application.

The other good news is that not only can "new" VMPS'ers use them, but so can those with the most recent x-over changes (where the low pass is slightly above 200Hz)

B, is offering these for $598 each, either with new orders or for the older speakers.

I think they will be especially incredible with the RM40, what with the new "midbass" driver and vitrified Passive Radiator :o :o  WOW!!

The RM2 which already has significant bass will be "off the hook" as my daughter used to say.

And while some have thought the RM30 slightly bass shy.... This promises to extract every drop of performance from that woofer system and leave bruises from the 6.5 inchers from every rim shot.

Gentlemen-------

Smokem if ya gottem :smoke:

And if you don't hav'em, your VMPS dealer can tell ya where to go :lol:

To get them :green:

thegage

Re: PBS (Powered Bass System) now available for all Floor Standers
« Reply #55 on: 12 Oct 2006, 09:52 pm »
John,

Can you clarify a couple of points?

1. How many amps are needed for a pair of speakers, one or two?
2. Do you need an OXO to use them?
3. Can they be used with the RM1? (I run with a tube amp, an have longed for a decent bass amp for a while!)

John K.

John Casler

« Reply #56 on: 12 Oct 2006, 10:56 pm »
John,

Can you clarify a couple of points?

1. How many amps are needed for a pair of speakers, one or two?
2. Do you need an OXO to use them?
3. Can they be used with the RM1? (I run with a tube amp, an have longed for a decent bass amp for a while!)

John K.

1) You need an amp for each speaker

2) You do not need the OXO

3) They can be used with all the RM series that have two pair of binding posts (Bass and MR/Tweater)

You simply connect to the Bass Posts (upper)

Eugene2

« Reply #57 on: 13 Oct 2006, 02:40 pm »
What about Gallos bass amp? Would that work well?

BobRex

« Reply #58 on: 13 Oct 2006, 03:42 pm »
If the Gallo provides a 24dB crossover at 280Hz, then maybe.  But I wouldn't bet on it.

John Casler

« Reply #59 on: 13 Oct 2006, 06:18 pm »
What about Gallos bass amp? Would that work well?

Not totally familiar with the Gallo, but I don't think their LP filter is sufficiently flexible to reach the frequencies without rolloff.  Their literature claims 200hz max, and the PBS is "modded" to reach the 220+Hz needed for the newer VMPS

It is not nearly as powerfull.  You would need to purchase 2 and bridge them and even then they would only be 650w not 1000w, and the bridging would likely "double" the distortion in the higher frequncies.

Also if memory serves me correctly, it has a fan.