Hello from Austin TX

RLUCIANO

Hello from Austin TX
« on: 29 Apr 2020, 12:06 am »
Hi, I have been a planar fan for a long time. Acoustat, Martin Logan, Magnepan. Thinking about a change now. I was considering the Carver Amazing Line Sources, but it seems that they are out of production for a while.

Hmmmm.  . . What’s next?

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello from Austin TX
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2020, 12:11 am »
Welcome Luciano :thumb:
I have heard ML, Eminent and Maggies and the Carver Amazing are miles ahead of they all, mainly in soundstage, Bob Carver really create something special here.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2020, 12:28 am »
Well if Carver isn't making them anymore that would suggest there isn't a demand for them anymore. OTOH Magnepan is selling more speakers now than ever before. What does that tell you?

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2020, 12:55 am »
Well if Carver isn't making them anymore that would suggest there isn't a demand for them anymore. OTOH Magnepan is selling more speakers now than ever before. What does that tell you?
All the defects that Maggies had in the 90s they still have today, it is a stagnant project, it has not evolved in 30 years. Carver Co. bankrupt in the 1990s when the company was taken by wallstreet investors, Bob himself was expelled from the company what lead him establish Sunfire.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2020, 01:08 am »
I didn't say or suggest the sound sucks. I've never heard them so I have no opinion outside of what is obvious.

Now if Carver speakers were truly amazing, then there'd be a market for them and somebody would surely satisfy that market. But ain't happening.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2020, 01:37 am »
I didn't say or suggest the sound sucks. I've never heard them so I have no opinion outside of what is obvious.

Now if Carver speakers were truly amazing, then there'd be a market for them and somebody would surely satisfy that market. But ain't happening.
I suspect Gilmore Audio take the Amazing ribbon patent and was selling a clone at $20K and then at $12K. I also dont believe how boxed speakers with xovers continue to be sold until today, even having sound emission only to front  :duh:
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2020, 05:41 am by FullRangeMan »

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2020, 12:48 pm »
Welcome!

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2020, 12:58 pm »
Here's one take on Gilmore Audio vs. the Amazing Ribbons - https://audioresurgence.com/2014/05/gilmore-audio-and-carver-amazing-speakers.html

I've heard all kinds of speakers (when my friend worked at a hifi shop for about 6 years I did basically all his delivries and installs with him).  Some of my observations (which are mentioned by many others).  The room is basically the most overlooked compoent.  System syngergy matters.  There are good and bad designs of any type of speakers and good designs that may not work well in a particular situation.  I think way too many audiophiles get hung up on too many things (know several who have gone from one type to another type in a short period of time - open baffle back to boxed or vice versa and sometimes back again and from what i've heard in particular situations they were both nice and it's a matter of preference).  To me the hobby is about getting what you can afford and enjoy and maximizing the result from it.  I for one, being seriously in the hobby for 45+ years (since I was 3 years old of course :lol:) and separates for around 40, can honestly say I am very happy with my main system and even very happy with the secondary systems.  Do I go to shows and hear systems that I wish I can afford - of course I do.  We all want better.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2020, 03:46 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC RLuciano   :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2020, 05:42 pm »
Thanks Phil for the link.

RLUCIANO

New guy
« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2020, 12:14 am »
Hi. I have a VPI TNT HRX turntable with a Lyra Skala cartridge. Audio-Research PH-6 phono stage, Pass Labs XP-32 pre amp, Holo Audio Spring DAC KTE, PS Audio BHK 300 mono amps, and Martin Logan ESL-11A speakers. I love electrostatic but I think the speakers are my weak link now.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
Re: New guy
« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2020, 12:53 am »
Luciano you are not a new guy, you already posted an introduction here in 29Apr, I will merge these topics,