Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.

iinself

Re: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.
« Reply #900 on: 23 Mar 2017, 03:46 pm »

The tweeter positve has the stripe, and it terminates with the largest terminal.  I wouldn't clip the resistor.  I'm finding that a little bright, and it measures brighter than my simulations indicated.  There may be
some side effects from clipping that resistor due to the layout of the printed circuit board.

Hi,
can some please confirm the steps for the basic tweeter mod:
1> Change tweeter to recommended vifa
2> Add 4uf cap in series with the tweeter positive terminal
3> Remove the 0.33ohm resistor - this is not clear - in one place it is mentioned by DMurphy that it needs to be removed in another post he says it can be left as it is ?

Thanks

iinself

« Reply #901 on: 26 Mar 2017, 02:39 am »
For anybody interested in just the tweeter mod:
I snipped the 0.33ohm resistor and it made the speakers very very bright, I had to solder them back. Now the mod seems to be a good one. For a brief time I thought I screwed a decent set of speakers :)

ferrousmike

« Reply #902 on: 22 Sep 2019, 09:01 pm »
If I recall, from conversation with Dennis in 2014, the towers can't be modded as easily with this cheap mod.  Something about the top "woofer" causing too much added treble.  Anyone done the "easy mod" on the towers and find benefit?

Decided to go ahead and order the parts and try the "easy mod" on the towers and the center.  Why not, got all the parts for $60 shipped from Parts Express and it'll be fun to see what it does.

I'm curious, some folks are discussing a 4.0uF cap however Dennis used the 3.9uF from Audyn.  Assuming the .1 won't be discernible but curious why the diff?  Folks just going for cheapest and rounded up? :)

For anybody interested in just the tweeter mod:
I snipped the 0.33ohm resistor and it made the speakers very very bright, I had to solder them back. Now the mod seems to be a good one. For a brief time I thought I screwed a decent set of speakers :)
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2019, 06:49 pm by ferrousmike »

ferrousmike

« Reply #903 on: 28 Sep 2019, 06:57 pm »
So, bought three tweeters caps and screws.  Did the "easy mod" of the 3.9uf cap and Peerless tweeter and - I don't like it!  Disappointed, as I expected an improvement over stock, maybe I'm just used to the original sound.  Hard to describe, there is more "presence" with the original tweeters and listening to something like Dave Mathews playing some nice licks doesn't sound as forward with the Peerless tweeters.  Mine are from Dec 2012, maybe some of the first batches and the tweeters were better then?  Who knows...  Anywho, I have a pair of 22's we use for gaming, etc. perhaps I'll put the Peerless in those and move the towers down stairs for gaming (have a Dayton sub I can use with the 22's). If I don't, glad to send them to someone for less than new if Parts Express doesn't take them back or charges restock or some such!

I'm going to keep the 3rd one to upgrade the center channel, seems to help there with a bit more clarity.

Perhaps I'm just totally ruined now anyway, I meandered into Best Buy's "Magnolia" room and heard these for the first time (I haven't gone real speaker shopping since buy New Large Advents in 1978): https://www.bowerswilkins.com/home-audio/804-d3  Even made my wife say, impulsively, "How much are THOSE, I REALLY like them!"  If only...

wushuliu

« Reply #904 on: 28 Sep 2019, 09:21 pm »
So, bought three tweeters caps and screws.  Did the "easy mod" of the 3.9uf cap and Peerless tweeter and - I don't like it!  Disappointed, as I expected an improvement over stock, maybe I'm just used to the original sound.  Hard to describe, there is more "presence" with the original tweeters and listening to something like Dave Mathews playing some nice licks doesn't sound as forward with the Peerless tweeters.  Mine are from Dec 2012, maybe some of the first batches and the tweeters were better then?  Who knows...  Anywho, I have a pair of 22's we use for gaming, etc. perhaps I'll put the Peerless in those and move the towers down stairs for gaming (have a Dayton sub I can use with the 22's). If I don't, glad to send them to someone for less than new if Parts Express doesn't take them back or charges restock or some such!

I'm going to keep the 3rd one to upgrade the center channel, seems to help there with a bit more clarity.

Perhaps I'm just totally ruined now anyway, I meandered into Best Buy's "Magnolia" room and heard these for the first time (I haven't gone real speaker shopping since buy New Large Advents in 1978): https://www.bowerswilkins.com/home-audio/804-d3  Even made my wife say, impulsively, "How much are THOSE, I REALLY like them!"  If only...

The 'easy' mod creates a mild dip from 6-9khz vs. the original which instead rises in that range - so yes, it appears you got used to the original voicing.

ferrousmike

« Reply #905 on: 25 Oct 2019, 04:44 pm »
Anyone have Dennis' schematic for this?

His work on the Pioneer 52 is even more amazing, he takes this speaker from unlistenable to damn good.

Frank Van Alstine

smata67

« Reply #906 on: 25 Oct 2019, 09:51 pm »
He is pretty good about sharing his designs, send him an email.  And offer a donation to his favorite charity.  These, by the way, were on sale for $79 each shipped a week ago.