MB-100/Le Amp (newest version) vs. Le Amp II

byteme

« on: 7 Apr 2003, 07:34 pm »
I'm at this point debating between two of these two amps for the mains in my HT as well as to improve dedicated two channel sound.  My current amp is a Sherwood Newcastle AM9080 (125wpc), Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 pre to heavily modded Polk RTA11tl's.  Source is McCormack SST-1 transport and Tubedac.

The Polks are 6 Ohm 90db efficiant speakers.  I've got a line on a pair of used MB-100's or I can wait for the Le Amp II's for about $150 or so more.  I don't know if the power is going to be an issue or not and while the $150 doesn't kill me it could be put to use for something else!

Curt, do you have anything to do with the Le Amp II or is that strickly a nOrh product?  Anyone with input on direction here?

Thanks!

Brian.

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2003, 07:39 pm »
Brian,

Many of us here will go to Lima, Ohio for the Midwest Audiofest.  It is April 11th and 12th (this weekend).

If you can go down to it you will be able to listen for yourself how the LA II's sound.

If you can't make it, many here will probably report how they sound with the rest of the nOrh gear.

It is really shaping up to be a great show with many great retailers having rooms.

For little old Lima, it looks like it is going to be a happening :-)

byteme

« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2003, 07:48 pm »
Marbles, I'd love to go but unfortunately that won't work for me.  Damn shame too, because there are people I'd like to meet and gear I want to hear!!  I'll have to wait for the reports.

Curt

Re: MB-100/Le Amp (newest version) vs. Le Amp II
« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2003, 07:03 pm »
Quote from: byteme

The Polks are 6 Ohm 90db efficiant speakers.  I've got a line on a pair of used MB-100's or I can wait for the Le Amp II's for about $150 or so more.  I don't know if the power is going to be an issue or not and while the $150 doesn't kill me it could be put to use for something else!

Curt, do you have anything to do with the Le Amp II or is that strickly a nOrh product?  Anyone with input on direction here?

Brian,

With 90dB@1W/m loudspeakers MB-100s would be very, very loud. You probably would never turn them all the way up. More power might just go to waste.

As I've said many times before, I don't believe you can get a better amp anywhere for the price of the MB-100. Getting them used is even cheaper.

We sevice them in Charlotte NC for as long as you own them (new or used).

Hope this helps you decide.