Sub connection to the Purist

RonK

« on: 9 Jun 2004, 03:06 pm »
This is directed to any purist owners. The purist has two sets of outputs. I assume that I could hook a sub to the second output but not sure exactly how to do it. I currently use one cable from my receiver and can use either the left or right input on the sub. Would I have to have two cables running from the purist into the sub's two inputs?

Carlman

Re: Sub connection to the Purist
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2004, 03:15 pm »
Quote from: RonK
This is directed to any purist owners. The purist has two sets of outputs. I assume that I could hook a sub to the second output but not sure exactly how to do it. I currently use one cable from my receiver and can use either the left or right input on the sub. Would I have to have two cables running from the purist into the sub's two inputs?

You have 2 sets of L&R outputs from many preamps.  Many/most receivers combine the L&R signals and call it a 'sub out'.  Some send only low frequency signals to that sub output.

The Purist and other preamps send a full signal for each channel for you to use for bi-amping.  If you're connecting to 2 subs, this would be great because you can send the left output to the left sub and then right to right.

In any case, the way the Purist is designed is standard and gives you many options.

To complete a simlar scenario to what you had, you need to run 2 cables, 1 from each output to the 2 inputs of the sub.  You could possibly get a Y cable that combines the signal but, I haven't done this and I don't know what that would do.

Hope this helps.

Curt

Re: Sub connection to the Purist
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2004, 07:41 pm »
Quote from: RonK

Yes, for a single sub you need to feed it both L&R ch's. This is the only way you will get all the music. The sub combines the signals internally, LP filters the signal, amplifys it then feeds it to the sub's speaker.

For two subs, one Lch and one Rch, you feed each sub the required ch. This is still two interconnects. Most people use one sub (at least to start).

Your receiver most likely has an LE (low frequenct effects) output which is already summed (L+R) sorta', this type of signal was mostly designed for HT applications.

Your 2ch bass will sound much better coming from the Purist's second set of outs and a decent "music grade" (not HT thumper) subwoofer.

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2004, 08:30 pm »
If you keep your reciever for HT duties and want to use the xo in the receiver for HT you could combine the outs of the Purist for one input on the sub and use the other sub input for the receiver sub out.

Curt

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2004, 09:07 am »
Quote from: MaxCast
If you keep your reciever for HT duties and want to use the xo in the receiver for HT you could combine the outs of the Purist for one input on the sub and use the other sub input for the receiver sub out.

This is a bad idea, IMO, too many problems.

Some will simply use a low cost HT thumper sub with the receiver and a music sub with the Purist for 2ch. This is a much better solution.

You select what sub you want by turning it on, leave the other one off.

Another option is an A/B switch combination (A=Rcvr LE/ B=Purist) output of A/B switch combo goes to the single sub. This can get complicated and require up to three A/B switches. Not my favorite option.

There are a few ways to get the bass hooked up in a multi-purpose system.

MaxCast

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2004, 10:56 am »
This is good that we explain options to Ron.  Ron, another option if you are using your receiver for HT is to run the mains full range and bring in the sub under the natural roll off of your main speakers.