***X-LS Extravaganza***

kenneth815

Re: ***X-LS Extravaganza***
« Reply #120 on: 29 Apr 2020, 02:27 am »
People can't believe how good these speakers sound. Then when they get the chance to hear them, they really can't believe how good they sound. Gloss black can be a PITA but you did a great job with these.

Thanks, Mike! Indeed they sound amazing and thanks for sharing your cross over images btw, just what I needed!

Ekim

« Reply #121 on: 29 Apr 2020, 02:31 am »
Great job on your first project! Thanks for sharing :D.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #122 on: 29 Apr 2020, 03:07 am »
Thanks, Mike! Indeed they sound amazing and thanks for sharing your cross over images btw, just what I needed!

Oh, by the way, you're hooked now. That's the same speaker I started with six or seven years ago. There is no vaccine for this bug. Don't fight it, just go with the flow...  :thumb:

kenneth815

« Reply #123 on: 29 Apr 2020, 03:25 am »
Oh, by the way, you're hooked now. That's the same speaker I started with six or seven years ago. There is no vaccine for this bug. Don't fight it, just go with the flow...  :thumb:

Haha, so true!!! I'm very aware that I have been bitten! Luckily, there's lots for me to learn between builds, hopefully between that and saving up, it will slow this disease from onsetting too quickly :lol:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #124 on: 29 Apr 2020, 02:13 pm »
Looks like they turned out really well, Kenneth. Thanks for posting the progress pics, I'm sure it's encouraging for others who want to give it a go. Happy listening!

Captainhemo

« Reply #125 on: 29 Apr 2020, 04:29 pm »
Nice job Kenneth !!   I agree with Mike,  you're   in trouble   LOL
Enjoy the tunes  man

jay

Gearguy

« Reply #126 on: 14 May 2020, 11:32 pm »
X-LS Encore hi-pass question:

To relieve the X-LS speakers (and the Dynaco ST-70) of having to deal with all the low freq energy, I will try an in-line high pass filter. My powered sub says it will go to 120hz.

Question: 100hz or 70hz?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #127 on: 15 May 2020, 12:36 am »
I would go with the one that you like more.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #128 on: 15 May 2020, 02:48 am »
The decision may come down to cap availability. I recently bought caps for an inline filter to work with power amps that have an input impedance of 100k Ohms. There were only two sizes that would work with my NX-Utica MTMs. One would put the -3dB point at 159Hz and the other at 79Hz.

Once you know the input impedance of your power amp, you can find out what sizes the caps you want to use are available in, determine where those sizes will put the -3 point, then decide.

Eldergod

« Reply #129 on: 15 May 2020, 03:26 pm »
Clarifying question on the X-LS: Is one sheet of No Rez enough for the pair?

Danny Richie

« Reply #130 on: 15 May 2020, 04:06 pm »
Clarifying question on the X-LS: Is one sheet of No Rez enough for the pair?

Yes.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #131 on: 20 May 2020, 03:52 pm »
I love it when folks send or post their "completed" photos. These from Casey, in oiled walnut. They look groovy with that console...

AlexH

« Reply #132 on: 20 May 2020, 04:00 pm »
Those look great!!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #133 on: 20 May 2020, 04:26 pm »
Those look awesome, love the walnut too! Its definitely the look I'm going for when it comes time to build my Studios.

Danny Richie

« Reply #134 on: 21 May 2020, 12:39 pm »
Man, those do look really good.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #135 on: 31 May 2020, 05:09 pm »

I've had many queries about NoRez installation. Surprising to me, several have suggested, and some have installed, before cabinet assembly. Interestingly, when I showed this illustration to my wife to gauge if it actually accomplished what I was intending, she suggested just that...installing before assembly. I'll leave that to builder to decide, I guess.

Anyway, my intention is to make a video about NoRez installation in general using X-LS mules I have. Here's my question to y'all. If you were to look at this illustration and an associated dimensional drawings, would it make sense to you? I really want to clear things up on what appears to be murky to some.

Feedback solicited...that's where y'all come in.

Gearguy

« Reply #136 on: 31 May 2020, 09:25 pm »
Peter, I pre-installed the NoRez in the pair I built from your flat pack. Seemed like the easier way to me. Your illustration would be very helpful to those who would like to pre-install it.

bucky63

« Reply #137 on: 1 Jun 2020, 01:28 am »
Here are some project pics of the X-LS Encore project I started this month to give to my son for his high school graduation.   Thanks to Danny and Peter for supplying the speaker kit and the Flat-pack!

Glued and clamped

Primed

Painted backs with a dark gray hammered effect spray paint

Crackled effect inspired by Peter's build for his grandson.  I used Montana Black Crackle spray over red Rust-Oleum enamel.

Finished with Krylon Clear Gloss Lacquer spray

Danny's basic X-LS cross-over

Cross-over inserted in the box

Sorry, Danny, I used polyfill for this build

Finished speaker one

Finished speaker two

Back of speaker

Overall I'm very pleased with the finished results and so is my son!  We just got them hooked up to a Denon AVR today and both love the sound so far.  Since this was my first real serious DIY speaker project there were some learning experiences but nothing too bad and happy with going the DIY route.  Both speakers look and sound fantastic!!
« Last Edit: 1 Jun 2020, 01:40 pm by bucky63 »

cody69

« Reply #138 on: 1 Jun 2020, 01:46 am »
Feedback solicited
Makes good sense Peter. And a comment regarding the front baffle would avoid follow-up questions.

BakedFireman

« Reply #139 on: 2 Jun 2020, 08:52 pm »
Very nice, my flat pack should be here today, not sure which way to go gathering ideas.
 Reese