Bed Replacement Mattress Recommendations? (for best sleep/health)

brj

Interesting.  What mattress brand/model is this?

The Bella Sera Nove 3

The Nove 3 is their least expensive model (which admittedly still wasn't inexpensive, despite the sale and the further deal that my haggling eventually produced).  I didn't see the need for more layers or a pillow top, especially with the wool topper.  I love the shredded latex foam pillows every bit as much as the bed itself.  Once you form them for the night to support your head and neck in whatever fashion you want, they stay put.

I still consider that bed the second best purchase I ever made, right behind my LASIK vision correction.  And that ranking includes all of my audio gear.

maxwalrath

I bought this, it should be here next week http://www.brooklynbedding.com/latex-mattresses/14-inch-aloe-latex-mattress. It has two 3" layers of talalay on top of foam, details can be found in the link. I was able to try another talalay-over-foam mattress before pulling the trigger.

www.themattressunderground.com was very helpful and informative.

Brad

I had been searching for a new pillow a few months ago and ended up with a Latex one and that made a difference in my sleep.
It was around $50 when I got it (queen size, low loft, firm).   Highly recommended.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049DT97E/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After reading through a lot of the links, I will have a Talalay latex mattress on my purchase list for this year.
 :thumb:

TheChairGuy

Glad this topic was unearthed again....

We finally bought a twin bed for our daughter - 8" natural Talalay latex bought here for ~$1200: http://www.foamorder.com/latex-mattress.html

It's amazingly comfortable and NO off gassing of the volatile compounds most furniture has these days to meet California Prop 65 flammability laws.  They use natural wool (non-flammable) as a wrap for each layer of natural latex.

Worked out so well, we're pretty sure we'll get an Eastern King in the same config for us shortly after we take care of some more pressing matters in the house that require attention (and $$)

sunnydaze

I bought this, it should be here next week http://www.brooklynbedding.com/latex-mattresses/14-inch-aloe-latex-mattress. It has two 3" layers of talalay on top of foam, details can be found in the link. I was able to try another talalay-over-foam mattress before pulling the trigger.

www.themattressunderground.com was very helpful and informative.

:thumb:
I think you made a great choice.  Over the past week I've done tons of online research and local shopping, and am on the verge of pulling the trigger on this one:

http://www.brooklynbedding.com/memory-foam-mattresses/14-inch-aloe-memory-foam-mattress

Exact same bed, except the Adelle comfort layers are 3" latex + 3" gel infused memory foam vs. the 6" of latex contained in your Alexis model.  I felt it would give better flexibility than all latex for "fine tuning" the feel.

In both models, different densities of latex can be swapped in to vary the softness / firmness.  But since the Adelle layers are different materials, either the latex can be placed on top, or the memory foam can go on top.  Again, helpful in fine tuning as each has a slightly different feel.

The mfr offers a free latex layer exchange program, first 120 days, till you get it right.   No charges at all, mfr even pays the shipping both ways.

The beds and the company have rave reviews all over the web.  They are also sold on Amazon under the name Dreamfoam.  Customer service is reported to be exemplary.  Spoke to Chuck on phone ystrdy.  Good guy, no pressure or push, just answered questions.  Struck me as real straight up and honest, and was confident I'd love either model, without coming across as a pushy and sleazy salesman.  Just sounded like a guy who really believed in his product.  After chatting about my specific needs, aches and pains, etc. he thought the Adelle model might be a better choice, but either would be fine.  This was my instinct, and how I was leaning, pre-chat.

A bit risky to buy without trying, but after all my research and trying countless beds locally,  I've learned quite a bit about the different approaches, constructions and materials.  Brooklyn Bedding seems high quality to me.  This, combined with the slew of positive owner comments,  gives me confidence in  either of these models.    Additionally, the ability to fine tune things w the free layer exchange program is really appealing, and effectively eliminates the risk that it won't feel "right".

I'd love to hear your feedback after sleeping on it for awhile.
« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2013, 04:41 am by sunnydaze »

sunnydaze

I ordered the 14" Aloe Adelle from Brooklyn Bedding Company.  Great customer service, patient and helpful with all my questions, built and out the door in one day.   Should have it end of next week.

tonyptony

I've been reading through this thread with both interest and frustration. From the sound of it I'd love to try one of these newer Talalay natural latex foam beds. But back in 1998, in the early days of "new technology" bedding we bought a king size, dual chamber Sleep Number bed. Pretty much the best one they made at the time. It was great for a while, until the pillow top started flattening out and the some of the interior layers started breaking down (the channel foam layer actually split over time - and I'm a tall 200 pounds (wife is nowhere close to that)). I'd say we got maybe 5 years of "as intended" sleep out of it before things slowly got less and less comfortable over time. We just got used to how it degraded and thought "someday we'll just get rid of it and buy a new bed".

BTW, as an aside I will say that the whole air chamber part of the bed - motor, controller, valves, the chambers themselves - has been faultless.

So we went looking for new beds, thinking we'd want to start looking at what was new out there. We almost passed out when we saw the prices. We paid a lot in 1998 for this bed - "equal" beds now were getting into the price of a small car from maybe 10 years ago. Given the longevity of these things I refused to consider paying that high a price.

In frustration I called Sleep Number to complain loudly about the price of their current day offerings (they weren't the worst offender, but they were up there). In the back of my head I always knew I could buy replacement parts for my own bed, but felt I just wanted to try something different. When I priced out (including the savings from what I got out of the warranty) what it would cost to get new parts for my current bed - essentially making it brand new - it pushed me into the upgrade option. There was no way I could get anything close to an arguably equal replacement for that cost.

That is what led to my final frustration, the realization that because Select Comfort was so clever in making their beds piece-part replaceable I will probably never be able to leave this bed without feeling like I spent more money than I should have.

As a final note, yes with all the new parts in place the bed has regained the feeling that it might be contributing to a better night's sleep. :|