Cooler weather = Dry Air = Dry Itchy skin

Antman27

Cooler weather = Dry Air = Dry Itchy skin
« on: 3 Nov 2010, 08:57 pm »

Hello all I am in a smal apartment with hot forced air / ac unit amd my apt gets so dry - when I walk i get shocked 
I have realy dry skin and it gets so itchy when its dry
I am thinking of getting a humidifer any thoughts on will this help and what kind /brand I should get cool mist /warm mist ? Quiet fan a Huge +
Thanks

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Cooler weather = Dry Air = Dry Itchy skin
« Reply #1 on: 4 Nov 2010, 02:04 am »
Just leave a large frying pan of water out. You can leave it on the stove, or in the kitchen. It will evaporate every few days, so check it ofen enough to keep it full. You may find that alone is enough.
A hint to avoid dry skin is do not use soap on your body except those private areas, and under arms. Just rinse your body with plain water, no soap. It will take a few weeks to stop your skin from being stripped of the natural oil, and then your body will stop being too dry. Soap is hell on skin.
I have NOT used soap on my skin for 20 years. (only on those 'special' areas...) Just shower with plain water.
Water is all that normal body skin needs.
(If you are a coal miner.. or some other occupation where dirt is a problem... skip this advice.!!!)

werd

« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2010, 02:20 am »
Keep yourself hydrated with lots of water intake. If you are deyhydrated your body can't flush the phosphorous compounds out. They end up making their way to your skin and cause dry patches. Drinking lots of water is one best ways to keep dry itch down.
http://www.kidney-friends.net/showthread.php?tid=4647

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2010, 02:33 am »
I use Lac Lotion 12 for chronic dry skin on my legs/feet and anywhere else where dry patches pop up. For soap, I use Dove for Sensitive Skin. I've tried humidifiers but I found them to create more problems than they prevented for me. The fact that I live in an old rundown house doesn't help any but it is what it is and I deal with it,,, find what works and run with it.

My neighbor has forced hot air and she has an inline humidifier installed on her furnace. It only holds a couple quarts of water tho and she has to fill it up twice a day during the winter months but she says it does help. Plus she's getting exercise running up/down them cellar stairs.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

ltr317

« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2010, 03:54 am »
I have dry skin also.  What the others have said.  I have never used Lac Lotion 12 that Robin uses.  I use Lubriderm in the winter.  Several pharmacists have told me it's the best of the over the counter moisturizing lotions. 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 4 Nov 2010, 04:03 am »
I like this one......works well... :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 4 Nov 2010, 04:07 am »
I have dry skin also.  What the others have said.  I have never used Lac Lotion 12 that Robin uses.  I use Lubriderm in the winter.  Several pharmacists have told me it's the best of the over the counter moisturizing lotions.

I needed a doctors perscription for Lac-Lotion 12 Paul,, it's not an over the counter lotion for dry itchy skin.

kgturner

mort

« Reply #8 on: 4 Nov 2010, 04:12 am »
Move to Washinton or Oregon. Im running a dehumidifier right now. It's too dam loud I have to shut it down when listening to tunes. Temperate climates rock never too wet or too dry, always close to the right tempurature!

ltr317

« Reply #9 on: 4 Nov 2010, 05:15 am »

I needed a doctors perscription for Lac-Lotion 12 Paul,, it's not an over the counter lotion for dry itchy skin.

Ah, that explains why I never used it.   :duh:

werd

« Reply #10 on: 4 Nov 2010, 05:22 am »
This is the best i have had. You guys should try it, used to be prescription but now its just over the counter

http://www.spectroskincare.com/eczema_skin_care_product.aspx

ltr317

« Reply #11 on: 4 Nov 2010, 05:45 am »
This is the best i have had. You guys should try it, used to be prescription but now its just over the counter

http://www.spectroskincare.com/eczema_skin_care_product.aspx

Thanks.  Do you know if I can get the stuff in a pharmacy, or only online? 

Doublej

« Reply #12 on: 4 Nov 2010, 10:41 am »
Consider using a shower water filter on your to remove the chlorine in the water. Chlorine can make dry skin worse. Also switch to a moisturizing soap like Dove.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 4 Nov 2010, 11:34 am »
I recommend

and wash all areas with this

mca

« Reply #14 on: 4 Nov 2010, 03:50 pm »
Along the same lines, I get dry, itchy scalp this time of year. I've tried tea tree shampoo and a few other "specialty" shampoos, but none of them seem to help any. Anyone have any ideas for the head  :scratch:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 4 Nov 2010, 03:52 pm »
Along the same lines, I get dry, itchy scalp this time of year. I've tried tea tree shampoo and a few other "specialty" shampoos, but none of them seem to help any. Anyone have any ideas for the head  :scratch:

audioengr

« Reply #16 on: 4 Nov 2010, 06:11 pm »
I live at 3300 feet elevation in the mountains.  It's really dry here in the winter.  Fingers crack etc..

They developed locally an excellent skin moisturizer/block that really works.  I have tried them all, including Eucerine.  This ones stands alone.  It is used by the US military in the middle east.  It does more than moisturize, it blocks evaporation from the skin.

It is called "working hands".  I use it on my legs and hands:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=working+hands+cream&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3280669651&ref=pd_sl_4j4n7ncb52_e

Another thing I do is run one or more ultrasonic humidifiers 24/7.  Search on them on ebay.  A good brand is Air-O-Swiss.

I also use Cetaphil soap.  Does not take the oil out of your skin.

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #17 on: 4 Nov 2010, 06:15 pm »
Move to Washinton or Oregon. Im running a dehumidifier right now. It's too dam loud I have to shut it down when listening to tunes. Temperate climates rock never too wet or too dry, always close to the right tempurature!

Even though it rains in the Northwest, it's can be really dry in the winter.  Lived here for 25 years, including Portland.

Steve N.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 4 Nov 2010, 07:08 pm »

I've always had dry scalp, even tho I'm blad,,, go figure.  :lol:  I use Head & Shoulders 2 in 1 for Dry Scalp Care. It contains both moisturizers and a hair conditoner, all all in 1 solution. Works great for my 1/2 moon.  8)

Cheers,
Robin