Poll

Do you plan on getting vaccinated for H1N1?

Yes
31 (45.6%)
No
32 (47.1%)
Not sure
5 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 68

To vaccinate or not?

Scottdazzle

Re: To vaccinate or not?
« Reply #40 on: 3 Nov 2009, 04:19 pm »
I've been getting flu shots every year for more than 20 years and have only caught the flu once in all that time.  I am a firm believer in them and will get the H1N1 shot as soon as it's available.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #41 on: 3 Nov 2009, 04:38 pm »
I've been getting flu shots every year for more than 20 years and have only caught the flu once in all that time.  I am a firm believer in them and will get the H1N1 shot as soon as it's available.

I've never had a flu shot and I've only had the flu once in at least the last 10-15 years.   I got it last year (or the year before) but I couldn't tell you the last time I had the flu before that.    It was back when I was a kid.   I've had plenty of colds, sniffles and non-flu type things.   

In terms of infecting my kids, it is typically the other way around.   The kids are the little "Typhoid Marys", they bring it all home and sneeze, slobber and basically pass all the body fluids around.   They are the ones that were sick this year.   I managed to stay clean, and so did my wife even though she was constantly around them. 

I don't have any issue with the vaccine though.  There is nothing new about a flu vaccine.   They newly develop it every year.   The cocktail has to be modified to keep up with the yearly changes in the virus.   The H1N1 vaccine is no different, other than they had to pull some overtime to update the cocktail.   

Crimson

« Reply #42 on: 3 Nov 2009, 04:39 pm »
I've been not getting flu shots for over 40 years and never caught the flu.  :wink:

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #43 on: 3 Nov 2009, 04:43 pm »
I've been not getting flu shots for over 40 years and never caught the flu.  :wink:

Have you had a gaggle of little kids sneezing, coughing up phlegm, and wiping buggers on you?      I thought I had a killer immune system until it was put to the test.    :lol:

Crimson

« Reply #44 on: 3 Nov 2009, 05:38 pm »

Have you had a gaggle of little kids sneezing, coughing up phlegm, and wiping buggers on you?      I thought I had a killer immune system until it was put to the test.    :lol:

I have two of my own and my wife's a pediatrician. I've caught the cold, etc., but never the flu (knock on wood).

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #45 on: 3 Nov 2009, 10:25 pm »
My employee is providing flu shots today. I got mine about  2 hours ago and I feel fin... acck (thud).

:lol:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #46 on: 3 Nov 2009, 11:26 pm »
46 years and to my knowledge I've never had a flu shot.  Last month I had mild flu symptoms that lasted a week.  I attribute that one incident to stress and poor diet at time.

My understanding is swine flu originated or transferred to humans last spring in Mexico.  News reported that schools, including universities, museums, theatres, bars and even churches were being closed down in Mexico City.  It was almost as if the place became a ghost town.  In a crowed city of 20 million, less than 100 died.

We live in a culture of fear.  It drives the economy controls most people like clockwork. 

mcgsxr

« Reply #47 on: 3 Nov 2009, 11:44 pm »
I get the flu shot every year, as does every member of my family.

We just all received the H1N1 shot this evening, after a 5 minute wait here in Burlington, ON.

I will advise if I grow an extra head, or if black helicopters start following me around...

Big Red Machine

« Reply #48 on: 4 Nov 2009, 12:21 am »
Dan, you're a funny guy.  RIP! :green:

WC, well said.

Can't understand the herd mentality sometimes to inject yourself with chemicals that are untested, potentially harmful, have questionable efficacy, and are not needed for an affliction that normally healthy human beings can easily withstand.  Oh well......to each their own.

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #49 on: 4 Nov 2009, 12:52 am »
... are not needed for an affliction that normally healthy human beings can easily withstand.

That's the key point of the entire issue WRT flu vaccines. You're right that in many cases healthy adults can fight off influenza and even if they do become sick, they fully recover within 7-10 days. That's true even for the elderly.

Of course, if you have a cold or some other relatively minor ailment you are far more likely to become sick if you are exposed to the flu. Because your immune system has been weakened by the original illness, the flu can also be far more dangerous. Or it can be the reverse, if you do get the flu, even a mild case, you become far more susceptible to other infections. That's the case with most elderly people whose deaths are attributed to the flu. In reality, most die from pneumonia or other bacterial infections that they normally would have been able to fight off, but couldn't because their immune systems were weakened by the flu.

In the case of H1N1, it isn't healthy adults that are at risk, it's kids and pregnant women. Their immune systems are already compromised, even without being sick. Women because pregnancy suppresses the immune system and kids because their immune systems and lungs have not fully developed.

The other issue is a moral one. Even if you aren't sick you can still spread the flu if you have been exposed. Your healthy immune system may successfully fight off the flu or limit it to a mild case, but while it's doing that you're shedding influenza virus worse than a long-hair dog shedding a winter coat in spring. Not everyone can get a flu shot, some people are allergic or have other medical conditions that make the flu shot unsafe for them. But they can still catch it from you.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #50 on: 4 Nov 2009, 01:05 am »
Thanks Dan, I was just typing that those who choose to receive the vaccinations are protecting those who are weakest.  It is most importantly out of concern for others that they choose to "take one for the team".  This is based on solid science, not anecdotal guessing that many hang their opinions on.  I hope that message gets across to every adult.

Mass immunization breaks the transmission cycle.  In this age of international air travel it should be easy to understand how one carrier (healthy like typhoid Mary or not) can infect hundreds in a plane and they infect thousands of others.  Keep in mind that disease like the flu that is transmitted person to person via cough/sneeze typically takes days before you become infectious and longer to show symptoms.  The longer the worse as it makes tracking and containment of outbreaks harder. 

As an example imagine being infectious 10 -14 days after exposure without showing symptoms (fairly typical of flu).  How far could you have traveled and how many could you have infected in that time?  Repeat this for each generation of infection and you should understand the issue at hand.  Even if the H1N1 isn't the cause of death, it can be a factor in loss wages/productivity, medical complications, expense, and of course suffering (mostly to the innocent "bystanders").

TheChairGuy

« Reply #51 on: 4 Nov 2009, 02:34 am »
I've never gotten a flu shot in my life...nor has my wife or kid....and I won't be falling for this most recent ruse by Big Pharma, either :nono:

I'm immune compromised, as well (born that way...I am what is termed a 'non-secretor' which leaves you less able to fight off bacteria, virus, etc. and more prone to autoimmune disorders).

That has been vastly overcome by zealous attention to my diet and exercise...and learning about the very helpful substances available as close as your supermarket and or health food store.

They'll be a time, hopefully in the not-too-distant future, where such things as chemotherapy, flu and immunization shots will be thought of as modern day barbarism practiced by doctors today much as blood-letting was in the 19th century.

There's very little real, innate science as to reasons for these flu shots and far more herd mentality and profiteering at work than anything else.

My first name ain't Guinea, nor my last name, Pig.  No thanks 8)

John

maxwalrath

« Reply #52 on: 4 Nov 2009, 02:49 am »
I've never gotten a flu shot in my life...nor has my wife or kid....and I won't be falling for this most recent ruse by Big Pharma, either :nono:

I'm immune compromised, as well (born that way...I am what is termed a 'non-secretor' which leaves you less able to fight off bacteria, virus, etc. and more prone to autoimmune disorders).

That has been vastly overcome by zealous attention to my diet and exercise...and learning about the very helpful substances available as close as your supermarket and or health food store.

They'll be a time, hopefully in the not-too-distant future, where such things as chemotherapy, flu and immunization shots will be thought of as modern day barbarism practiced by doctors today much as blood-letting was in the 19th century.

There's very little real, innate science as to reasons for these flu shots and far more herd mentality and profiteering at work than anything else.

My first name ain't Guinea, nor my last name, Pig.  No thanks 8)

John

I applaud the attention that you pay to your health and your positive outcomes.  People in good health that eat well and take care of themselves...absolutely they have less to worry about.  However, your opinions about Pharma and modern day medicine, while totally understandable to a lot of people, are really dangerous in the hands of the average (overweight, unhealthy, uninformed) American. 

What works for some is getting echoed at an alarming rate that could be very dangerous for a lot of "average" people out there. 

As for me, I'm in nursing school now so I had to get my shot.  My balls haven't fallen off yet as a result of the shot, but I'll keep you posted. 

sts9fan

« Reply #53 on: 4 Nov 2009, 02:54 am »
Barbarism?  Vaccines are great.  Using your own immune system and all you do is introduce a few peptides!  Vaccines can be extremely elegant.  Think about it.  You could find the perfect small peptide and defeat amzingly potent pathogens. All with the amazing power of the immune system.   

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #54 on: 4 Nov 2009, 03:13 am »
Such passion on all sides of the discussion! One would think we might be discussing audio. Oh, thats right, we all agree about that.  :duel:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #55 on: 4 Nov 2009, 04:23 am »
Barbarism?  Vaccines are great.  Using your own immune system and all you do is introduce a few peptides!  Vaccines can be extremely elegant.  Think about it.  You could find the perfect small peptide and defeat amzingly potent pathogens. All with the amazing power of the immune system.

Yep - barbarism - you read right.

Immunizations are considerably less than elegant when mixed with deadly thimerosol (aka, mercury) and other far-less-than-helpful other ingredients.  There is little I find elegant about death and autism :( (and more 'elegance' to come in future years as further studies are linked to their effects).

It's merely science of the times....not of the ages, at play right now.  Mixed with a dollop of profiteering...and you have an unpleasant, rotting and ultimately deadly idea.

In 1969, the then Upjohn Company tested the Olive Leaf and isolated (and was unable to patent) it's most important compound, oleuropein.  To date, not a better anti-viral or anti-bacterial has been found.....and it's but a $8 jar away at your nearest health food store.

Despite this, increasingly ineffective antibiotics and cooked up and used every few years...as each generation grows inoculated whatever positive effects they have...yet an $8 bottle of Olive Leaf Extract would do considerably more, for less and with consistent results over generations. 

This compound was proven to have the capacity to destroy and inhibit the growth of an incredible array of pathogenic organisms including bacteria, yeast's and viruses when tested in-vitro (ie. in a petri dish). The organisms that were wiped out included common infectious illnesses such as cold and flu viruses, herpes and retroviruses like HIV. Types of bacteria and parasites included planterum, E. Coli and malariae.

Rather than shoot/immunize yourself with some shit concocted in a definitively for-profit Pharma that cares little for your actual health....go try some Olive Leaf Extract and be all the better for having done so. Yes, it's a compound isolated from the common leaf of an olive tree.

I'll potentially save one or more family members out there by telling you the following.

Lymphoma is a cancer that either rides on virus-laden cells or is in fact a virus itself.  Wipe the virus out and you will wipe out many of not most forms of Lymphoma.  My Dad had a particularly aggressive non-Hodgkins Lymphoma (called Burkitt's), the docs gave him 90 days to live with the golf ball sized mass in his chin area....which was wiped out without a trace within 30 days when he saw his doctor next.  That was 7 years ago and he's a positively radiant 80 year old now :)

The only thing the oncologist(s) at Long Island Jewish and Sloan-Kettering could offer up was chemotherapy with a 5% chance of success of his reaching one year even with it. Olive Leaf Extract, two bottles, saved this fantastic man's life (I call him 'fantastic' not because he's my Dad, but because he really is)

Today's flu shots and vaccines are barbarism, 21st century style; a slew of today's medical practices will be ridiculed in the near future. You can take that to the bank.

John

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #56 on: 4 Nov 2009, 05:09 am »
I'll be in line to get my shot.  I have more faith in the currently accepted science than non traditional "cures".  Although there are always those that beat the odds with a low percentage treatment, vaccinations are a very well established and effective means of avoiding viral disease. 

By the way, John, have you any experience with the Signet "Microline" cartridge?

EDS_

« Reply #57 on: 4 Nov 2009, 05:18 am »

Yep - barbarism - you read right.

Immunizations are considerably less than elegant when mixed with deadly thimerosol (aka, mercury) and other far-less-than-helpful other ingredients.  There is little I find elegant about death and autism :( (and more 'elegance' to come in future years as further studies are linked to their effects).

It's merely science of the times....not of the ages, at play right now.  Mixed with a dollop of profiteering...and you have an unpleasant, rotting and ultimately deadly idea.

In 1969, the then Upjohn Company tested the Olive Leaf and isolated (and was unable to patent) it's most important compound, oleuropein.  To date, not a better anti-viral or anti-bacterial has been found.....and it's but a $8 jar away at your nearest health food store.

Despite this, increasingly ineffective antibiotics and cooked up and used every few years...as each generation grows inoculated whatever positive effects they have...yet an $8 bottle of Olive Leaf Extract would do considerably more, for less and with consistent results over generations. 

This compound was proven to have the capacity to destroy and inhibit the growth of an incredible array of pathogenic organisms including bacteria, yeast's and viruses when tested in-vitro (ie. in a petri dish). The organisms that were wiped out included common infectious illnesses such as cold and flu viruses, herpes and retroviruses like HIV. Types of bacteria and parasites included planterum, E. Coli and malariae.

Rather than shoot/immunize yourself with some shit concocted in a definitively for-profit Pharma that cares little for your actual health....go try some Olive Leaf Extract and be all the better for having done so. Yes, it's a compound isolated from the common leaf of an olive tree.

I'll potentially save one or more family members out there by telling you the following.

Lymphoma is a cancer that either rides on virus-laden cells or is in fact a virus itself.  Wipe the virus out and you will wipe out many of not most forms of Lymphoma.  My Dad had a particularly aggressive non-Hodgkins Lymphoma (called Burkitt's), the docs gave him 90 days to live with the golf ball sized mass in his chin area....which was wiped out without a trace within 30 days when he saw his doctor next.  That was 7 years ago and he's a positively radiant 80 year old now :)

The only thing the oncologist(s) at Long Island Jewish and Sloan-Kettering could offer up was chemotherapy with a 5% chance of success of his reaching one year even with it. Olive Leaf Extract, two bottles, saved this fantastic man's life (I call him 'fantastic' not because he's my Dad, but because he really is)

Today's flu shots and vaccines are barbarism, 21st century style; a slew of today's medical practices will be ridiculed in the near future. You can take that to the bank.

John

Our disagreement vis-?-vis this topic in no way changes my opinion that you are my favorite poster on AC.

?   The doc who generated just about all of the? vaccines cause autism? tripe was recently shown to be a fraud.  His data wasn?t just rigged it was essentially false.
?   You, me and 97.5% of all first world people over 20yo have mercury in our mouths all the time.  Ask your dentist next time you visit for a cleaning.
?   My grandmother, rest her soul, told me about arguments similar to your side?s decrying the polio vaccine.
?   The heavens forbid, you arrive at the ER suffering from a severe case of staph clutching a bottle of oleuropein in your hands??..most likely the doc will sedate you, throw your bottle of oleuropein in the trash and save your life with vancomycin.
?   If oleuropein is this great undiscovered miracle med.; send me the info.  If convinced I?ll front a couple hundred grand seed money and raise $50million in Dallas based VC money in three or four weeks, these guys are always looking for ?winners?.  Then we?ll both get fantastically rich and rid the world of the common cold, flu and all else this stuff takes care of-. Heck we'll win Nobel Prizes for ridding the world of AIDS/ARC etc. Come on.
?   Thimerosal has saved millions of lives. Several early vaccines killed significant percentages of those vaccinated due to the vaccine going ?bad? between production and injection.  If you were a kid in the 1930s would you rather have had a diphtheria vaccine with thimerosal or no vaccine?

Browntrout

« Reply #58 on: 4 Nov 2009, 05:19 am »
Well said! John The Chair Guy  :thumb:
 EDS Your attitude is all wrong, helping people should not be about making money, business or getting Noble Peace prizes. As soon as you involve business and money things become clouded by greed.
  The argument is not really about whether vacines can work or not it is whether poeople can trust the Government or the large companies that are involved. I think anyway. :D

jules

« Reply #59 on: 4 Nov 2009, 05:32 am »
So even if the vaccines work and save lives, you should avoid them if you don't believe you can trust government or large companies?

jules