Bicycle Review Site Recommendations Please?

Doublej

Bicycle Review Site Recommendations Please?
« on: 3 Mar 2007, 04:06 pm »
Where can I go to read reviews on bicycles? With spring around the corner I am starting to think about buying a new one.

mca

Re: Bicycle Review Site Recommendations Please?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2007, 04:20 pm »

bikes and beats

« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2007, 04:55 pm »
DoubleJ,
What sort of cycling are you looking to do? That's the first question to ask yourself. Do you want to ride with kids? Do you want to tour? Are you a downhill trail tamer? Sorry, I work in the bicycle industry and I'm all-too familiar with hype. But generally, bikes are really simple. You get what you pay for, and often, you get more! If you tell me where in the country you are, I can tell you of a reputable shop to go visit. I think pulling on the coat of a bicycle sales person will get you better answers than a consumer review site. my two-sense.
Good luck!

nodiak

« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2007, 05:18 pm »
http://www.bentrideronline.com/
may as well check out all the options.

aerius

« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2007, 05:40 pm »
There's 1001 places on the web where bicycles reviews can be found, unfortunately I don't know of a site which has consistent trustworthy reviews, and which hasn't been overrun with immature idiots.

Bike and Dirt Rag do a pretty decent job of reviewing things in print on the mountain bike side, but of course they don't come anywhere close to covering the entire market.

Best bet as bikes and beats noted is to identify your needs, ask yourself what you like & don't like about your old bike, what you want to improve on, what you want to do with your new bike and a rough ballpark figure on cost.  Then find a good bikeshop, one where they guys actually ride their bikes instead of driving to work in SUVs, an almost sure sign of goodness is a store which organizes & leads regular group rides.  Talk to both the sales guys and the mechanics, some bikes are technological marvels and ride really well but are prone to frequent & expensive breakdowns, the sales guys might not know about it but the mechanics sure will.

And make sure you test ride the bike.  Always test ride the bike.

PhishPhan

« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2007, 06:01 pm »
http://www.roadbikereview.com/

Good site if you're thinking about road bikes. Has a very active forum with tons of helpful members who know their stuff.

PhishPhan

« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2007, 06:03 pm »
And make sure you test ride the bike.  Always test ride the bike.

This is the best advice. Brand, frame material, components etc. don't mean diddly if the bike does not fit you properly.

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 5 Mar 2007, 06:03 am »
Feel free to PM me with any questions about my opinions on parts, models, etc...

Definatly make sure you get one that is fit to you for sizing. Remember gizmos (fancy stuff like 8 inches of front travel, and other things) do not always make for the best experience, depending on what you do.