Indoor Air Pollution and Allergies

groovybassist

Re: Indoor Air Pollution and Allergies
« Reply #20 on: 3 Dec 2012, 06:06 am »
I'd love to modify our furnace, but we're renting the place we're in and already have upgraded the filters we're using.  We've been running our fan 24 x 7 for a while - added about $50 per month to our electric bill, which was more than expected, but it was helpful.  I need to try the saline nasal rinses - I was using a neti pot with tap water for a while (luckily no issues like we've seen of late) and it was helpful - need to get back into a (safe) routine.  Haven't tried any supplements or avoiding dairy, so can't comment there.

Right now, I'm fine for two or three weeks, then out of the blue I get slammed for a couple of days.  Those days are so miserable, I'm ready to do anything to get some relief.  "Better living through chemistry" is a last resort for me - loved Flonase, but it killed me (my Dad had problems with it as well, so I should have known).

persisting1

« Reply #21 on: 3 Dec 2012, 07:48 am »
I've been using an Austin Air Allergy machine for a couple of years now. It's been great. My wife's allergies have really improved.

I also have a couple of Areca Palms in the house. NASA made a list of air filtering plants that are great for indoor use.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_air-filtering_plants

ajzepp

« Reply #22 on: 3 Dec 2012, 07:56 am »
I'd love to modify our furnace, but we're renting the place we're in and already have upgraded the filters we're using.  We've been running our fan 24 x 7 for a while - added about $50 per month to our electric bill, which was more than expected, but it was helpful.  I need to try the saline nasal rinses - I was using a neti pot with tap water for a while (luckily no issues like we've seen of late) and it was helpful - need to get back into a (safe) routine.  Haven't tried any supplements or avoiding dairy, so can't comment there.

Right now, I'm fine for two or three weeks, then out of the blue I get slammed for a couple of days.  Those days are so miserable, I'm ready to do anything to get some relief.  "Better living through chemistry" is a last resort for me - loved Flonase, but it killed me (my Dad had problems with it as well, so I should have known).

If your bill increased that much, you may want to double check the MERV rating and make sure your system isn't in overdrive trying to pass air through that filter. Even $50 is a small price to pay for better health, of course, but it shouldn't be that much of an increase.

And yeah, if you fire up the neti pot or something similar, definitely at least boil the water. One of my patients referred me to an article a while back where someone picked up a nasty bug by using straight tap water during his sinus rinse.

ajzepp

« Reply #23 on: 3 Dec 2012, 07:57 am »
I've been using an Austin Air Allergy machine for a couple of years now. It's been great. My wife's allergies have really improved.

I also have a couple of Areca Palms in the house. NASA made a list of air filtering plants that are great for indoor use.

Air filtering plants?? Wow!!!! That is cool as hell!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #24 on: 3 Dec 2012, 08:08 am »

I've got 2 English Ivy hanging baskets, a 5' Weeping Fig tree and a 3' wide Peace Lily that I've had for years indoors. I had totally forgotten the main reason for getting them was for their air filtering properties along with the ease of care. It's indoor nature at it's best.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #25 on: 3 Dec 2012, 10:28 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.

When I was about ten years old and we moved from downtown Montreal
to the country side, my reaction to allergies was so bad,
that I could not go to school,
my nose was dripping and my eyes full of water and much, more more.
When I came to Vietnam when I was 47 years old,
everything stopped, no more allergies, nothing, 17 years of heaven.
I guess here in Vietnam there is nothing I am allergic to,
except the Vietnamese themselves... (LOL)
Four years ago, I went to Montreal to visit my mother during the month of August
and three days after my arrival, my allergies started again.
The worst time for my allergies is in June and August and September, especially September.

Guy 13
Seems that in Canada you are poisoned by chemtrail:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnWO5KT8IhI

All countries allied from USA are cursed with this chemical poison.
In my city they spray it two times a weak, Tuesday and Thursday early morning or late afternoon.
After these events the rain gone and the temperature increase alot in few days.
And the press never mention it.
So stay in Vietman for your good health.

Nick77

« Reply #26 on: 3 Dec 2012, 01:30 pm »
I have a new HVAC install in the near future, am considering the Aprilaire 5000 whole house air cleaner. Seems like the best of both worlds, employing electronic and 4" pleated filter media.
http://www.aprilaire.com/index.php?znfAction=ProductDetails&category=7&item=5000

Anyone have any experience with this model? 

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #27 on: 3 Dec 2012, 07:06 pm »
I have a new HVAC install in the near future, am considering the Aprilaire 5000 whole house air cleaner. Seems like the best of both worlds, employing electronic and 4" pleated filter media.
http://www.aprilaire.com/index.php?znfAction=ProductDetails&category=7&item=5000

Anyone have any experience with this model?

I would really save your money and get a 1000 or 2000 series or equivalent Honeywell F100 series.  The extra bells & whistles of the higher series just add cost & complexity and do little to nothing to actually improve air quality.  The 4000 series add redundant blower motor control (this can be done via the thermostat controls), and the 5000 series adds an ionizer w/ debatable air quality improvement (and some else to clean & maintain).

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #28 on: 3 Dec 2012, 07:26 pm »
I own two of the larger Honeywell units. They have a foot in diameter drum for the Hepa, with a wrrap of black foam.
They have not needed replacing in fifteen years.. The foam can be vacuumed off every so many months. I wouuld say five years ago i did replace one foam wrap for $15.
So the Honeywell just last.

I hope you don't mean that you haven't ever replaced the HEPA filter.......

These should be replaced at a minimum once a year.  If you haven't replaced it in fifteen years since purchase, I really don't think it's going to do much for you........

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #29 on: 3 Dec 2012, 08:27 pm »

You could always talk w/ the landlord about adding a media air cleaner to the furnace.  You can get a basic housing for around $150, and the filters are $20-$30 tops & last +6mo's.  Figure maybe another $150 to get it installed.  If you were willing to pay for all or part of it, I don't see why a landlord wouldn't go along.  It's not a hugh investment & the improvement in air quality and general cleanliness of the property would be a bonus for the property owner.  Just a thought.......

$50 extra a month seems awfully high for running the blower more frequently : you're sure it's just the blower running, or is the AC or heat also on at the same time? If it's not that, I'd assume you are in a high electricity cost area, or have an air handler which might be particularly old or inefficient (?)

groovybassist

« Reply #30 on: 3 Dec 2012, 08:29 pm »
Amazon is amazing!  We processed the exchange of the defective Blueair 203, for a new Blueair 503, on Saturday.  Per their info, UPS would pick up the 203 on Monday (today) and the 503 would arrive Tues (tomorrow).  UPS just pulled up, and not only did they have the pickup label set to go, but they delivered the new 503 as well a day early.  The 503 is now spinning along filtering our indoor air - hopefully better luck than the 203.

-Mike

groovybassist

« Reply #31 on: 3 Dec 2012, 08:37 pm »
jarcher:

There's already a media housing in place on the furnace.  Interestingly enough, I've already tried adding a filter to the housing and it made my allergies worse - don't know why.  I made sure to do my research and size it correctly in terms of filtration/airflow and it didn't do a darn thing.  I was quite surprised.  Part of the problem is the system itself - my office is at the far end of it, and my guess is it's not sized properly, so little air gets circulated into the space I spend a lot of time in.  This was part of the appeal of a portable unit.

We're in a relatively low cost electricity area and I'm sure it's only running the fan - just think it's a crappy spec unit thrown in by the builder as the standard item.  If/when my wife and I buy a place, I'll be sure to install an appropriate system - until then, looking for answers.

-Mike

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #32 on: 4 Dec 2012, 01:10 am »
jarcher:

There's already a media housing in place on the furnace.  Interestingly enough, I've already tried adding a filter to the housing and it made my allergies worse - don't know why.  I made sure to do my research and size it correctly in terms of filtration/airflow and it didn't do a darn thing.  I was quite surprised.  Part of the problem is the system itself - my office is at the far end of it, and my guess is it's not sized properly, so little air gets circulated into the space I spend a lot of time in.  This was part of the appeal of a portable unit.

We're in a relatively low cost electricity area and I'm sure it's only running the fan - just think it's a crappy spec unit thrown in by the builder as the standard item.  If/when my wife and I buy a place, I'll be sure to install an appropriate system - until then, looking for answers.

-Mike

I think there may be other issues that may have made your allergies worse that are unrelated to the installation of the filter - e.g. w/ the HVAC system in general, particularly if you were running it constantly, that caused more dust or allergens to become unsettled whether in the airstream of the property or w/ in the HVAC system or ductwork. 

Despite all that - hope the new Blueair unit helps & best of luck!

Jon

groovybassist

« Reply #33 on: 4 Dec 2012, 01:34 am »
Jon:

I suspect the ductwork is caked with allergens and the prior tenant (the owner's father) must not have had an issue.

Question for you though:

The way the system is set up right now, there's a filter we replace monthly behind a return grate in the ceiling of our dining room and the filter media holder on the furnace is empty.  If I put a better filter in the filter media holder on the furnace itself, should I remove the filter that's behind the return grate on my dining room ceiling?  Any advice you have is appreciated - thanks.

-Mike

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #34 on: 4 Dec 2012, 02:05 am »
Jon:

I suspect the ductwork is caked with allergens and the prior tenant (the owner's father) must not have had an issue.

Question for you though:

The way the system is set up right now, there's a filter we replace monthly behind a return grate in the ceiling of our dining room and the filter media holder on the furnace is empty.  If I put a better filter in the filter media holder on the furnace itself, should I remove the filter that's behind the return grate on my dining room ceiling?  Any advice you have is appreciated - thanks.

-Mike

Is the furnace media holder for a standard 1 inch or a larger 4+ inch media?

Is the dining room return the only return to the furnace?

If the answer is 1 inch and yes, I'd leave things as they are. If the answer is 4 inch and no, I'd use the furnace level one and remove the dining room ceiling one. This way the filter would treat all return ducts with a filter with more surface area.

Fit of the filter is very important to me. If the furnace level one is just an open slot with a loose  fit, then avoid.

I wouldn't do double filters - too much of a pressure drop and stress on the blower motor.

groovybassist

« Reply #35 on: 4 Dec 2012, 02:22 am »
Jon:

Answers are 4"+ and yes, so I'll try the larger filter at the furnace and see what happens.  The fit is pretty tight at the furnace - it's behind a door, slides in, and the door gets closed and latched behind it, holding the filter in place.  Thanks!

-Mike

morganc

« Reply #36 on: 4 Dec 2012, 03:45 am »
You could always talk w/ the landlord about adding a media air cleaner to the furnace.  You can get a basic housing for around $150, and the filters are $20-$30 tops & last +6mo's.  Figure maybe another $150 to get it installed.  If you were willing to pay for all or part of it, I don't see why a landlord wouldn't go along.  It's not a hugh investment & the improvement in air quality and general cleanliness of the property would be a bonus for the property owner.  Just a thought.......

I would love to do this at my office.  What type/model of media air cleaner would you recommend?   How easy are they to install?

Just an FYI for those of you with mold problems, their is a good book, Surviving Mold, that details all the problems it causes as well as many treatment options........

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #37 on: 4 Dec 2012, 05:54 am »
I would love to do this at my office.  What type/model of media air cleaner would you recommend?   How easy are they to install?

Just an FYI for those of you with mold problems, their is a good book, Surviving Mold, that details all the problems it causes as well as many treatment options........

I would suggest one of the "F100" models from Honeywell.  Many other companies seem to make similar things (e.g. Aprilaire), but the Honeywell ones seems to be well made & well priced.  This is what I use at home.

They are typically mounted at the air return duct just before the air handler blower motor.  Installation is not complicated, but it's best to get either a qualified HVAC contractor or a handyman to cut the duct work and install the unit (unless you're handy w/ that sort of thing).  This shouldn't be more than about an hour or so labor. 

The specific model will depend on the size of the duct work.  You'll have to measure out your air return ductwork size.

Here are some of the model #s:

F100F2028 = 16 x 20
F100F2002 = 16 x 25
F100F2036 = 20 x 20
F100F2010 = 20 x 25
F100F2044 = 25 x 20
F100F2051 - 25 x 22

www.pexsupply.com seems to often have the lowest price : $87.55 + shipping. You can also try googling the model #'s.

I find that the basic old EPA A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture , and your Home is a very decent guide to mold & how to deal w/ it for the typical residential environment.  It's what I tend to give residential customers.

See: http://www.epa.gov/mold/moldguide.html

You can also download it in the PDF format. 

Hope that helps!

morganc

« Reply #38 on: 4 Dec 2012, 06:08 pm »
Yes, that helps a lot.  My office manager is on it!

Do you use outlet filters also at each vent?  I am right now super sensitive to mold and am doing everything possible to clean out every possible exposure source!

Thanks,
Morgan

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #39 on: 4 Dec 2012, 06:18 pm »
I don't as I wouldn't want to further restrict air flow or put additional strain on the blower motor. Sometimes it is worth having the HVAC system (particularly the ac coils) and ductwork checked out for cleanliness if it's more than 10 years old. Consult with an HVAC contractor with indoor air quality credentials though, not just some duct cleaning outfit - the latter are likely to suggest there's a problem no matter what.