Shaving

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Shaving
« on: 6 Oct 2012, 05:27 pm »
Having sported a full beard for the past 25 years, I recently got bored with the look and decided to go with a goatee. Of course, this has neccessitated shaving again. Every single damn day.  :duh:

Shopping at the local drug store, I selected well known three-blade-throw-away razors and Edge gel. Works well enough, I guess, but the sides of my face feel like I've been shaving with an 80-grit belt sander for the past two weeks . Accordingly, I did a quick Google search for best shaving products for men. Good grief, the audiophile marketing community has nothing on the shaving industry's model.

Your thoughts? Seems there are some fine razors; what's good? What's a good shave cream? Aftershave that doesn't make you smell from six+ feet away? Trusted web vendors? Tips, tweaks or tricks?

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

django11

• Canuckistani
Re: Shaving
« Reply #1 on: 6 Oct 2012, 05:38 pm »
I use Gillete Mach Three Turbo razor and blades  (what a silly name).  It has a different angle than previous razors I have used and three blades  and makes for a smooth shave.  Apparently they have some with five blades also.  A bit pricey. 

Your face might be a bit tender having gone all those years without seeing the light of the sun... :D

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #2 on: 6 Oct 2012, 05:52 pm »
Hi Jerry, I know where you're at, I've been growing a beard for 40 years, ever since I got out of the Army back in 1972. There's only been less than a handful of times that I've actually shaved it off, always in tne heat of the summer and each time, I'd tear my face up with a razor and develop a rash,,, without fail. This summer I shaved it off for the entire summer but I didn't use a razor. Instead I used a Wahl Mustache & Beard trimmer which I have used for years to trim the facial hair. I've had many models, mostly battery but the one I now have and it's been the best one I've owned by far is electric with rechargable batteries(which I've never used) and a suction trimming container. While this method doesn't give you that smooth skin feel, it does take the hair down to the skin and it does so wthout tearing up my face or causing skin rash. I used it twice a day for 3 months w/o any issues.

Wahl Model 5577,,,, I didn't realize how old this trimmer was til I Googled this discontinued model. I've used it daily for well over 8 years and have never even replaced or sharpened the cutters. And considering the shaving I did with it all summer, gotta say I'm left impressed. That and I think I better get me a replacement set of blades,,, if they're still even available.  :lol:  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2012, 05:57 pm »
Almost as important as a razor is the shaving lotion you use.  I've gone through a ton of them and the ones from The Art of Shaving are easily the best:

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2012, 06:05 pm »
There's a web sight called badgerandblade. If you interested in learning to shave properly and with the right equipment and products you should check it out. BTW. Those multiple bladed razors with crazy priced blades are the worst things you can put to your face.

Doc

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2012, 06:53 pm »
I've gone the old school route and got a DE (double edge) safety razor, badger hair brush, shaving soap and cream, an alum bar, and good, old fashioned aftershave and couldn't be happier. Check out some tutorials on youtube (you'd be surprised).

Personally, I use an Edwin Jagger model 86 DE safety razor and brush. As for soap, good old fashioned Williams (like my dad used) can still be had at CVS for about $2.00. Add a dollop of shaving cream and you'll get at least 3 good passed for your shave. I also use a Coronel Conk ceramic shaving bowl which is real easy to handle (cups with handles and SS bowls tend to tax my fingers and grip).

As good as Art of Shaving is, I feel it's best to just go there to see what they have and how it feels in your hands and order from any of the reputable on line sites (amazon, westcoastshaving.com, badger and brush, etc-just google it and lots will come up).

It all may seem a bit much, at first, but I now shave quite quickly employing three passes to cover all hair directions and it's fun, to boot, to go retro. These are some very high quality shaving tools and you can keep the costs for the razor and brush in the $40-$50 dollar range and  get a great product. One thing though, once you start, like any hobby, it will grow a mind of its own and you'll find yourself trying out all the different shaving creams and replacement blade until you find the ones you like.

One caveat though, as great as the Feather brand of replacement blades are, be careful as what would pass as a nick for other brands will get you a trip to the ER with a cut from a Feather.

All the best.
Nonoise

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #6 on: 6 Oct 2012, 06:56 pm »
If you have sensitive skin or a curly beard, you may find modern double and triple blades to be irritating. Consider buying a Merkur safety razor and boar bristle brush. The Merkur blades are very sharp, but you may find you prefer a "duller" blade like Feather, which is made in Japan. For shaving cream, I really like Taylor of Bond Street.

Crimson

« Reply #7 on: 6 Oct 2012, 07:24 pm »
My neck is quite sensitive, to the extent that the only combo that works for me are Feather blades and the Art of Shaving unscented cream. Anything else and the bumps and burn are intolerable.

Thirsty

« Reply #8 on: 6 Oct 2012, 08:53 pm »
I've been using Proraso Shave Soap and a synthetic Boar Brush for a long time, I'll never go back to that stuff in a can, I still need to pick up a good safety razor, Merkur always seems to get good reviews. I buy from Amazon.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #9 on: 6 Oct 2012, 09:03 pm »
I find shaving soap to be too dry. Shaving cream seems to contain added lubricants that help the razor blade do its thing.

slc247

« Reply #10 on: 6 Oct 2012, 10:04 pm »
Try using a pre shave oil under your shaving cream.....really makes a difference for me.
"Grooming Lounge" as a vendor for all things manly.....

Photon46

« Reply #11 on: 6 Oct 2012, 10:44 pm »
What I've found works really well for me is a mixture of the Art of Shaving cream and German Nivea shave foam. The two of them mixed together are far better than either alone IMO. It's also important to learn what parts of your face need shaving in a certain direction. If I shave against the direction of hair growth on certain parts of my face & neck, ingrown hairs & rash are sure to result. If they do, a skin treatment with salicylic acid will help healing. Something like this: http://www.anthony.com/store/product/ingrown-hair-treatment/

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #12 on: 7 Oct 2012, 12:52 am »
Electric Shave and a Norelco works for me.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #13 on: 7 Oct 2012, 01:09 am »
Electric Shave and a Norelco works for me.

Maybe for a full shave but is a Norelco any good for trim type shaving that a goatee requires? Having never used one, I don't have a clue.  :dunno:

Cheers,
Robin

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #14 on: 7 Oct 2012, 03:43 pm »
There's a web sight called badgerandblade. If you interested in learning to shave properly and with the right equipment and products you should check it out.
Doc

Thanks, Doc. Just using a few of the newb pointers they have up made this morning's shave eminently more comfortable.  :thumb:

mca

« Reply #15 on: 7 Oct 2012, 04:19 pm »
Has anyone tried dollarshaveclub.com? I would be curious to know if their blades are any good.

PS - It's worth checking out their site just for the funny video  :lol:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #16 on: 7 Oct 2012, 05:38 pm »
Sure, a Norelco will be fine for a goatee unless you've got your initials going in the whiskers or something. 
Just be careful as it's easy to lop off too much and hold the trimmer portion going down towards your feet. 
Do it with the trimmer up and I've heard it'll yank your hair out.
Oh, the product is Lectric Shave, not Electric Shave.

ton1313

« Reply #17 on: 7 Oct 2012, 05:58 pm »
That dollarshaveclub video is great :thumb:

gooberdude

« Reply #18 on: 8 Oct 2012, 05:31 am »
I'm really surprised that nobody has mentioned Cremo Cream.  I've been using it for years & have tried every product listed in this thread so far.  Cremo Cream blows them all away, including Poraso, Taylor St or anything Nivea or anyone else produces.

I suffer from a tough ass beard, really thick facial hair growing in all directions.  Just sux!  Cremo Cream + a gillette Mach 3 or 5 does the trick. Especially the vibrating ones.

To the OP, shaving daily is bad. Its best to give the hair 2 days, so the follicle is thin at the base & easier to shave.  Cremo Cream + a good razor easily allows 2 days between shaves & you'll look groomed & professional 24/7. 

Funny thing is i've never emptied a tube of Cremo Cream.  I usually get to about 10% left (after 6 months or more) then give the tube away, thus improving my karma.   :thumb:   

Each & every one of my ex's uses the stuff, its amazing on the ladies.  Pretty sure the company makes a chic specific product now too. 

One often overlooked step is exfoliating before you shave, while in the shower. I use Kiehl's products mostly, but if you want the wildest stuff on the market get the liquid sandpaper from Johnny Dangerously.  I think its called Sucker Punch.  You'll look a few years younger and it takes all the hassle out of shaving. Exfoliating removes a super thin layer of skin revealing the thinnest part of the hair follicle.  Shaving in one direction or another becomes waaay less important. Rash, bumps & ingrown hairs a thing of the past.

Years ago when I decided to grab the bull by the horns & make my life a little more comfortable I researched old skool straight blades, strops & what not.  Glad I stayed with current technology & use Cremo Cream + a Gillette vibrating razor.  One trick I learned is to clean/dry the razor blade with a Q tip after each shave, removing any calcium, lime or rust from settling on the blade - keeping it sharp. I use 1 new blade per month.  Not sure if its still sold, but an As Seen On Tv product is the razor blade sharpener.  Its dope, but eventually rubs away all the rubber nubs on the face of a Mach 5 blade.  The blade itself stays crazy sharp though, and that's the real secret.   Blades don't dull, they get gunked up with CLR. I heard somewhere that Gillette now makes the sharpest blades on the planet. 

Doublej

« Reply #19 on: 8 Oct 2012, 12:13 pm »
Reading this makes me think that blade shaving is like vinyl and using an electric razor is like digital. Electric is like a lot simpler; I just slap on some Letric shave, wait a minute and shave, but it's not as good as one can get with an optimized blade ritual.

gooberdude, your post makes it sound like you turn over ex wives faster than your audio gear  :)