Tube Preamps and NCore

genjamon

Tube Preamps and NCore
« on: 15 Aug 2012, 05:27 pm »
This is a thread to post about tube preamps you have heard match well to NCore amps, and also to list recommendations.  If you're listing a recommendation that you have not actually heard paired with NCore, please indicate why you think it would be a good match.  Actually, it would be great if those who are listing good matches they have heard could list both the good/bad or good/not-as-good.

I'm looking around at options and would appreciate guidance, but I suspect others may value seeing what others have tried or want to try. 

Also, it would be great if there are some experiences and recommendations of preamps that are on the less expensive side for those of us who went with NCore because it was a great way of getting into truly high end performance while still in the upper mid-fi budget realm.  I personally can't realistically see myself being able to afford more than a $2000 preamp anytime soon, and hopefully significantly less.  But all pairings would be welcome.

mjock3

Re: Tube Preamps and NCore
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2012, 05:46 pm »
Genjamon,

I was just getting ready to make the same post. :thumb: It would be great if there were any diy tube preamps that were up to snuff with the Ncores.

Thanks,
Mark

Jerrin

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2012, 06:02 pm »
On the less expensive side, I'd recommend a Dodd buffer.  Very transparent sound with black background. 

On the more expensive side, you can't go wrong with a Dodd Pre-amp.  He even has a new model that lets you adjust from no gain to gain.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2012, 06:04 pm »
On the less expensive side, I'd recommend a Dodd buffer.  Very transparent sound with black background. 

On the more expensive side, you can't go wrong with a Dodd Pre-amp.  He even has a new model that lets you adjust from no gain to gain.
I don't think there is a sonic difference other then one having gain though. 

I owned a Dodd Buffer.

genjamon

« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2012, 06:41 pm »
I think it was Jon L over on the tour impressions thread who said he really liked a heavily modded Transcendent Grounded Grid preamp with the NCore http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=105310.msg1119295#msg1119295.  I think they are sold as a kit to keep costs low, and if you're handy with modding, Jon provided a link to his mods (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72652.0.  I do wonder how much the mods cost, as they involve some pricey capacitors...

I've always wanted to try a Grounded Grid as they have heard good things even about the stock version.  According to Jon, stock probably wouldn't be very great with the NCore, but modded is a great match. 

I'm curious how a Grounded Grid would compare to a Dodd Buffer.

mjock3

« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2012, 07:21 pm »
Yes, I saw that thread and it did spike my curiousity as the kit is quite inexpensive, and it says complete which I would take to mean includes enclosure. I also have some Aikido boards, I don't want to throw money where I am going to regret it though.

genjamon

« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2012, 07:45 pm »
I'm pretty sure it does include enclosure, as all the GG's I've ever seen on audiogon or elsewhere have had the same enclosure.

jaywills

« Reply #7 on: 15 Aug 2012, 08:55 pm »
I've built a Grounded Grid.  The kit comes with everything, including enclosure, knobs, etc.  Cordially,

genjamon

« Reply #8 on: 15 Aug 2012, 11:23 pm »
What about the Vincent SA T1? There's one on audiogon right now.  Anyone with experience with Vincent products? Would this potentially be in the ballpark? I really don't know how Vincent  products stack up.

Turk

« Reply #9 on: 15 Aug 2012, 11:49 pm »
So far my deHavilland Ultra Verve has worked well with the Ncores.  It has upgraded output caps and resistors.  Not a significant change from stock, so an off the shelf model should sound very good.

Turk

« Reply #10 on: 15 Aug 2012, 11:50 pm »
Duh?  I just noticed I have been reduced in rank to a Jr. member.  Why?

srb

« Reply #11 on: 16 Aug 2012, 01:24 am »
Duh?  I just noticed I have been reduced in rank to a Jr. member.  Why?

The system now has an automated post reader, and if the average post content is either not witty enough or not insightful enough, you will be demoted!

Just kidding.  Recent software updates have new # post thresholds for member classifications.  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=108711.0

Steve

Turk

« Reply #12 on: 16 Aug 2012, 01:29 am »
Thank you.  Not a big deal, just curious.  That's what I get for keeping my mouth shut.  Probably should get points for saying nothing
after reading many of the threads since 2003.  :thumb:

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #13 on: 16 Aug 2012, 03:12 am »

I have the Dodd Buffer with the 6H30-DR super tube, and it matches well to the Hypex amps (at least to my ears).

wilsynet

« Reply #14 on: 3 Sep 2012, 06:11 pm »
I acquired worldcat's pair of NC400s a few days ago and was running direct from a PS Audio PWD MKII through its balanced outputs.  Pretty good, but I'd agree a tube preamp would be a good addition.

I got an Atma-sphere MP-3 preamp yesterday, and the combination is very good indeed.

Given my prior experience with Modwright, I'd speculate that the Modwright LS-100 would also be a good candidate.

I have not heard the Jolida, but Underwoodwally is currently promoting a modded Jolida Fusion preamp for a pretty modest price -- may be worth checking out.  The base Fusion is around $1K, the L1 mod increases the price by 500, and the L2 mod another $500.

TrungT

« Reply #15 on: 3 Sep 2012, 06:49 pm »
Can't call pre, but .....  sound very good with Ncore.
Mac mini > Zodiac > Dodd inline buffer > Ncore > Pendragon
 :thumb:

mgalusha

« Reply #16 on: 3 Sep 2012, 08:17 pm »
+1 on how the balanced Dodd buffer works with the NCore's. Trung is graciously allowing me to demo his buffer and it adds a nice touch of triode goodness with no noise that I can notice. The current signal chain is Lindemann DAC > Krell KCT > Dodd balanced buffer > NCore amps > Geddes Abbey speakers.

Thanks Trung!

Mike

TrungT

« Reply #17 on: 3 Sep 2012, 08:31 pm »
^^^^^
You are welcome  :thumb:
Add the Vol. pot you have yourself a full function buffer.
 :thumb:

wilsynet

« Reply #18 on: 11 Sep 2012, 04:33 am »
I have the NC400 amps paired with an Atma-sphere MP-3.  They're terrific together.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #19 on: 12 Sep 2012, 06:40 am »
I just listened to the NC400s (furutech fuses, hardwired AC, hardwired outputs, OFC input RCA jacks and 10lbs. of lead weight isolated on top, two resistors hardwired on input for volume.....running directly from highly modded Oppo 95).  Very good but lacks some midrange involvment and lower midrange power.  Since some feel the NC400 sounds best balanced then I vote for using two modded Grounded Grid preamps (one for each channel and using therefore using them balanced).  The modded grounded grid is a phenomenal preamp and using them dual mono and balanced into a balanced run NC400 (or maybe better balanced bridged NC400) would surely give some great sound.  Two modded Grounded grids running balanced would cost around $1600 ($1000 for two preamp kits and another $600 in parts).