Lii Audio Flagship vs Spatial Audio M3 vs NX-Oticas vs Pure Audio vs ?!

pokerbarlo

Lii Audio Flagship vs Spatial Audio M3 vs NX-Oticas vs Pure Audio vs any other suggestions?! What would your best pick be from the $3000 to $5000. Any comments would suffice but would love to hear from someone who has heared most of these. :thumb:

Endo2112

• Particularist
How big is your room?? What type of amp are you using, or planning to use??

Don

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
I’ve heard all of them at RMAF over the years and they are all great speakers, any of them would make you happy.  But from a pure performance standpoint the NX-Oticas just outclass everything on your list.

pokerbarlo

It's gonna be a home theater room with 3 of whichever speaker I pick for lcr about to build a new house. Probably at least 19 by 26 to 30 depends on how much will fit the center will be behind an acoustically transparent screen amps will be hypex height will be 12 feet and detached from the main house and soundproofed.

How big is your room?? What type of amp are you using, or planning to use??

Don

pokerbarlo

Thanks that's where I am currently leaning towards

I’ve heard all of them at RMAF over the years and they are all great speakers, any of them would make you happy.  But from a pure performance standpoint the NX-Oticas just outclass everything on your list.

happyrabbit

paolocaminiti

I've been considering this choices as well lately.

I own a pair of "old" spatial m3 turbo s and now need to move on to make my triode amplifier happy. Newer models like sapphire or triode master would probably cut it, but is very hard to get them in Europe so since I'm there I decided to go all in and build the servo subs + the MTM otticas.

I would say the main reason to go spatialaudio in the ob realm is the esthetics and the ease of use. And indeed the old m3 are a fantastic and eye opening product so must be the newer models.

I suppose the otticas compare more to the X series with the ATM ob tweeter thought - but still I didn't find any direct comparison.

Pure audio project is interesting but is very hard to find comparisons with the otticas or spatial X series and to me having the woofers on their own servo amps just makes so much sense, especially if they are the amps woofers in the Lumia series :)

Another plus for the OB subs is that they can sort of serve as platform to experiment in the future with drivers like the Lii - do they look nice!

Tyson

Only thing Spatial has that competes with the NX-Otica is the Lumina at $27k.  And the Lumina is an incredibly good speaker.  Worth every penny of that $27k asking price.  But IMO the NX-Otica beats it from a pure performance standpoint.  On the other hand, the Lumina looks like a piece of art and the NX-Otica does not.  Again, the Lumina and the Otica are just in a different class than the other speakers on this thread.  And if you're looking to use a lower powered amp, that goes double.  Offloading the bass makes a huge difference in allowing lower powered amps to shine. 

I have a Super 7 which is similar in design to the Lumina and to the NX-Otica and I run everything from a Type 45 amp (2 watts) to a 2a3 amp (4 watts), a 300b amp (8 watts) and a Almaro 318b amp (18 watts), all of them are SET amps and sound fabulous with this type of speaker. 

I also have high efficiency full range speakers in my 2nd system (modded Klipsch Forte IIIs) and these amps fall down a bit when asked to drive a speaker full range.  Even at 99db efficiency, the 2nd system speakers don't sound as good with the 45 or 300b amps vs the Super 7s in the main system.

pokerbarlo

Since it will be in a home theater set up I will power them with a hypex amp multi channel. maybe I will add a little tube amp to play around with once in awhile

Only thing Spatial has that competes with the NX-Otica is the Lumina at $27k.  And the Lumina is an incredibly good speaker.  Worth every penny of that $27k asking price.  But IMO the NX-Otica beats it from a pure performance standpoint.  On the other hand, the Lumina looks like a piece of art and the NX-Otica does not.  Again, the Lumina and the Otica are just in a different class than the other speakers on this thread.  And if you're looking to use a lower powered amp, that goes double.  Offloading the bass makes a huge difference in allowing lower powered amps to shine. 

I have a Super 7 which is similar in design to the Lumina and to the NX-Otica and I run everything from a Type 45 amp (2 watts) to a 2a3 amp (4 watts), a 300b amp (8 watts) and a Almaro 318b amp (18 watts), all of them are SET amps and sound fabulous with this type of speaker. 

I also have high efficiency full range speakers in my 2nd system (modded Klipsch Forte IIIs) and these amps fall down a bit when asked to drive a speaker full range.  Even at 99db efficiency, the 2nd system speakers don't sound as good with the 45 or 300b amps vs the Super 7s in the main system.

Tyson

Since it will be in a home theater set up I will power them with a hypex amp multi channel. maybe I will add a little tube amp to play around with once in awhile

Ah gotcha, then you're all set if you ever do decide to play around with different amps.

paolocaminiti

with a hypex amp multi channel. maybe I will add a little tube amp to play around

I totally recommend trying it out, I have several amps with the spatials right now:
icepower 1200as: can go very low but bass is too dry with the OB woofers (due to high damping I think), highs are just annoying and fake to me.
forte model 4 50w transistor calls a: amazing all around, give as low as the icepower with more authority... but too "mechanical" and hint of fake sounding to my ears.
300b PSVANE TC3: can't push the woofers but really breathes soul into the speakers, sounds like music - the only of the three amps that makes me wanna dance.

paolocaminiti

Only thing Spatial has that competes with the NX-Otica is the Lumina at $27k.

That's quite a statement. Would be really nice to see some review comparisons of each other strenghts. Luckly I'm gonna test the MTM ottica soon :)

a Type 45 amp (2 watts) to a 2a3 amp (4 watts), a 300b amp (8 watts) and a Almaro 318b amp (18 watts)

I've been wondering of what the 45 and 2a3 (and 318) bring to the table compared to the 300b that I love. Would you care to elaborate a bit their comparative strenghts when playing in an active system like the otticas?

Tyson

That's quite a statement. Would be really nice to see some review comparisons of each other strenghts. Luckly I'm gonna test the MTM ottica soon :)

I've been wondering of what the 45 and 2a3 (and 318) bring to the table compared to the 300b that I love. Would you care to elaborate a bit their comparative strenghts when playing in an active system like the otticas?

Re: the Lumina's, it's not that surprising when you consider that the Lumina uses the exact same servo OB bass system that the NX-Otica uses (which is the best stereo bass on the planet, IMO).  The main difference between the 2 speakers is what is used for upper bass, mids and highs.  As good as the Lumina is (and it's outstanding), the NX-Otica is just better, particularly the tower Otica version. 

Re: a 45 and 2a3 amp vs the 300b, I'm happy to help!  For me, the 45 tube is the clearest, cleanest most direct, most 'you are there' feeling tube.  Its really amazing.  BUT, you must pair it with a very easy load and a speaker thats very high sensitivity.  Even then, it's very volume/power limited.  As long as you don't play it too loud and give it an easy load, it's an amazing sounding tube. 

The 2a3 is closer to a 45 in sound than it is to a 300b.  It's like a 45 tube but with balls.  You lose some of the 'you are there' transparency but you gain quite a bit in swing and dynamics. 

The 300b IME is the most variable amp, based on what 300b you are actually running.  I've run several different 300b tubes in my amp - some unlabeled ones that came with the amp, a pair of Gold Lions, a pair of Sophia Princesses and a pair of the $800 Psvane WE300b tubes.  I wasn't really impressed with the amp until I got the Psvanes in there.  With those tubes, it had a big, bold presentation that also had this beautiful 'lit from within' quality.  Not as intimate or emotionally naked as the 45 or 2a3, but a very worthwhile sound in it's own right. 

Endo2112

• Particularist
I'm in full agreement with Tyson, get the Otticas, I've listened to a set/with different  x-overs, in completely different rooms, on multiple occasions and they simply never let me down for overall musicality. I would say this, they were an equal based on the quality of amplification, in fact the better the associated equipment, the better they sounded ie. they were never the limiting factor in the overall listening experience.

Hope that helps,

Don

Bumpy

Re: the Lumina's, it's not that surprising when you consider that the Lumina uses the exact same servo OB bass system that the NX-Otica uses (which is the best stereo bass on the planet, IMO).  The main difference between the 2 speakers is what is used for upper bass, mids and highs.  As good as the Lumina is (and it's outstanding), the NX-Otica is just better, particularly the tower Otica version. 

Re: a 45 and 2a3 amp vs the 300b, I'm happy to help!  For me, the 45 tube is the clearest, cleanest most direct, most 'you are there' feeling tube.  Its really amazing.  BUT, you must pair it with a very easy load and a speaker thats very high sensitivity.  Even then, it's very volume/power limited.  As long as you don't play it too loud and give it an easy load, it's an amazing sounding tube. 

The 2a3 is closer to a 45 in sound than it is to a 300b.  It's like a 45 tube but with balls.  You lose some of the 'you are there' transparency but you gain quite a bit in swing and dynamics. 

The 300b IME is the most variable amp, based on what 300b you are actually running.  I've run several different 300b tubes in my amp - some unlabeled ones that came with the amp, a pair of Gold Lions, a pair of Sophia Princesses and a pair of the $800 Psvane WE300b tubes.  I wasn't really impressed with the amp until I got the Psvanes in there.  With those tubes, it had a big, bold presentation that also had this beautiful 'lit from within' quality.  Not as intimate or emotionally naked as the 45 or 2a3, but a very worthwhile sound in it's own right.

Total agreement about those triodes. In particular the 45's which I use at present. However as you say not over happy at higher volumes. I wound it up for a while to run-in some new (sensitive) drivers and it sounded awful. Under all other circumstances its magic.  I use a pair of Welborne monoblocks and I would be happy to hear of any other 45 amps that I could upgrade to.

rockymystic

Did you hear the lii audio F15? how good is it when compared to the mighty otticas and spatials? They are not that pricey, and i m planning to use them as interim solution until i save up for otticas or spatials. If the performance difference is huge then its better not to invest and save up directly for the other two.

pokerbarlo

I want to hear the answer to this as well how far is the performance difference?

Did you hear the lii audio F15? how good is it when compared to the mighty otticas and spatials? They are not that pricey, and i m planning to use them as interim solution until i save up for otticas or spatials. If the performance difference is huge then its better not to invest and save up directly for the other two.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Lii Audio Flagship vs Spatial Audio M3 vs NX-Oticas vs Pure Audio vs any other suggestions?! What would your best pick be from the $3000 to $5000. Any comments would suffice but would love to hear from someone who has heared most of these. :thumb:
Spatial all day long.  Unbox and enjoy.

doggie

I love Audio Circle and have made several purchase decisions mainly based on posts here for Linear Tube Audio and Omega Audio. A couple of things to consider though. As a site, AC has a large number of vendor forums. This is mostly a big plus. The only problem is that many owners congregate here and so have already formed opinions about specific products. It is not that they are trying to sway or influence but they may have developed a point of view. I would consider asking this question on some other forums also.

The other idea is that it is very hard to make good judgements about speakers by going to a trade show. Trade shows are notoriously poor listening environments, with each system in a different room environment and mostly using different associated equipment. So this might not be comparing apples to apples when evaluating.

And finally. You will not know how you like the speaker until you get it home, break it in, and then listen through your own system with music you are familiar with. If you willing to take a financial chance and have good DIY skills then I am sure that GR Research speakers might be giant killers. Otherwise I would consider buying ready-made, well received speakers with a liberal return policy.

Full Disclosure: I am in a similar position as you. I wanted to try OB speakers in my system. I use Linear Tube Audio electronics and live near their shop where they use Spatial Audio M3 Sapphires to demo. Based upon a listening session there I ordered a pair of X5's. They have powered woofers which I am hoping will take the heavy lifting off my Z10i amp.

Let us know what you decide and how you like your new speakers.

TomS

... I wanted to try OB speakers in my system. I use Linear Tube Audio electronics and live near their shop where they use Spatial Audio M3 Sapphires to demo. Based upon a listening session there I ordered a pair of X5's. They have powered woofers which I am hoping will take the heavy lifting off my Z10i amp.

Let us know what you decide and how you like your new speakers.
You'll love your X5's, great choice  :thumb: