Bi-wiring D100

snoogly

Bi-wiring D100
« on: 6 Apr 2008, 09:57 pm »
Sorry if this is a daft question, but I trawled the forum (and the ci site) and couldn't find an answer. 

Am I right in supposing that when bi-wiring it's best to connect one set of cables with spades, and the others with banana plugs?

I suspect there may be no definitive answer, but I want to risk derision by asking!

IronLion

Re: Bi-wiring D100
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2008, 10:02 pm »
No derision here, well, not much anyways, depends on the topic. But, in your case, as I understand it (I've never bi-wired before), doubling up on spades is not the way to go.  Spades and bananas as you said should work best as I understand it. 

snoogly

« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2008, 10:15 pm »
Many thanks.

To be more specific, I plan to use Blue Jeans Audio 5T00UP cable. Not sure of the brand, but the locking banana plugs they use are shown here:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/Speaker_cable_termination.pdf

CSI

« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2008, 10:43 pm »
The best biwire setup will depend more on the way your speaker terminals are laid out than anything else. Usually, if the terminals are one above the other, either combo will work (and don't forget to remove the jumper!). I can't see why mixing and matching at the speaker end would be any advantage. The thing to avoid is an awkward arrangement that might cause one set to fall out or, much worse, cause a short. For this reason some mfgs. make their biwires with one set a bit longer than the others for a cleaner fit and neater appearance.

There is a large school of thought that says that spades are always better (single or biwire) because you can get a tighter fit. But one mfg. (WireWorld) prefers a good banana plug because of the greater contact area. Still others say avoid bananas unless they are the locking type. I've personally had very good luck (with DH Labs, Signal and others) with two sets of spades at the speaker end and either bananas or spades at the amp.

BTW, I don't think you'll be derided on this forum for good basic questions like this, or even for questions that might not be so good.

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2008, 11:10 am »
I've used both bananas (on Linn cables) and spades (on many other cables).  I prefer spades, only because it's easier for me to believe there's a better connection and kids or me can't as easily pull them out.

benzx

« Reply #5 on: 9 Apr 2008, 03:53 pm »
Sorry if this is a daft question, but I trawled the forum (and the ci site) and couldn't find an answer. 

Am I right in supposing that when bi-wiring it's best to connect one set of cables with spades, and the others with banana plugs?

I suspect there may be no definitive answer, but I want to risk derision by asking!

I suppose you are referring to the amp side? where both pair of speaker cable will connect to the same set of binding posts? If so, you might also want to consider the shotgun termination. i.e. connect both pair of speaker cables into one pair of spades/bananas, at the amp side.  At the speaker end, its still 2 seperate pairs as they're going into different sets of binding posts.

CIAudio

« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2008, 12:54 am »

If you must bi-wire...
It's never a good idea to stack spades on a binding post. Use a spade for one and locking banana on the other.

Like WireWorld, I prefer a good banana plug over spade types.

snoogly

« Reply #7 on: 10 Apr 2008, 01:06 am »
Thanks for all the feedback.

If you must bi-wire...
You are not a fan of bi-wiring?