XDC•2 Update

CIAudio

Re: XDC•2 Update
« Reply #40 on: 15 Jul 2007, 03:34 am »
Will this work with a pair of mono 200w SS (Odyssey Mono Extreme's) amps?

You would want two of them...each with their circuits wired in parallel (14A each).
They have two 7A circuits in standard configuration...this works well for our D-100 and D-200 amplifiers. Less efficient amplifiers require more current, so we parallel the circuits for this application (done at no extra charge).

jman66

« Reply #41 on: 15 Aug 2007, 02:17 am »
You would want two of them...each with their circuits wired in parallel (14A each).
They have two 7A circuits in standard configuration...this works well for our D-100 and D-200 amplifiers. Less efficient amplifiers require more current, so we parallel the circuits for this application (done at no extra charge).

Dusty,

Is it possible to convert a standard XDC•2 into a parallel wired version, in order to gain the higher current capability?
Does the XDC•2 need to be sent back?  Thanks!

CIAudio

« Reply #42 on: 15 Aug 2007, 04:42 pm »
Is it possible to convert a standard XDC•2 into a parallel wired version, in order to gain the higher current capability?
Does the XDC•2 need to be sent back?  Thanks!

Yes...if you send it to us, we can do this for you.

mfsoa

« Reply #43 on: 23 Aug 2007, 02:43 pm »
Dusty,
I've been using a friend's VAC PA100/100 tube amp and am noticing mechanical hum from the transformers as well as hum from the speakers. The amount of speaker hum is independent of the preamp volume setting. I tried plugging the amp into my Rotel power conditioner - No change. And I tried a ground lifter - No change.  And a different power cord - No change. Tried turning off a few other items in the house but haven't gone too far with this, yet. No change. I am the only house on the transformer at the pole.

Do you think this is something the XDC2 could remedy?
Would I need the 14 amp version for this 100 watt tube amp?

Thanks for your advice.

-Mike

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #44 on: 23 Aug 2007, 02:48 pm »
Dusty,
I've been using a friend's VAC PA100/100 tube amp and am noticing mechanical hum from the transformers as well as hum from the speakers. The amount of speaker hum is independent of the preamp volume setting. I tried plugging the amp into my Rotel power conditioner - No change. And I tried a ground lifter - No change.  And a different power cord - No change. Tried turning off a few other items in the house but haven't gone too far with this, yet. No change. I am the only house on the transformer at the pole.

Do you think this is something the XDC2 could remedy?
Would I need the 14 amp version for this 100 watt tube amp?

Thanks for your advice.

-Mike

The XDC-2 should be able to help on the hum with the speakers, but it won't do anything for the mechanical hum coming from the transformers.

George
George

CIAudio

« Reply #45 on: 23 Aug 2007, 04:03 pm »
The XDC-2 should be able to help on the hum with the speakers, but it won't do anything for the mechanical hum coming from the transformers.

Actually the opposite is true...
It will probably eliminate the transformer hum, but won't fix the ground loop (hum from speakers).

If you only have one amplifier, I'd go for the parallel version.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #46 on: 23 Aug 2007, 04:04 pm »

Actually the opposite is true...
It will probably eliminate the transformer hum, but won't fix the ground loop (hum from speakers).

Oops.   :oops:

It did indeed quiet the transformer hum in my system when I was using a Moscode 401HR and the Vandy 5A's.  It did such a good job with the Moscode/Vandy combo that I never took it out of my system when I changed amps to the Bella Extreme 100's.

I plug the built in amps on the Vandy 5A's into the XDC-2 and the XDC-2 is plugged into a Running Springs Audio Haley.

George

George

mfsoa

« Reply #47 on: 26 Aug 2007, 07:46 pm »
I just measured the DV voltage in my house to be 93mV.

Is this something to be concerned with?

What are typical home levels, and levels where there is a "problem" to be treated w/ the XDC?

Thanks

-Mike

CIAudio

« Reply #48 on: 27 Aug 2007, 04:33 am »
I just measured the DV voltage in my house to be 93mV.

Is this something to be concerned with?

What are typical home levels, and levels where there is a "problem" to be treated w/ the XDC?

Thanks

-Mike

Do you have a mechanical hum from any of your audio components?
There is no "typical" or "problem" level of DC riding on an AC line.
DC levels will change depending on other devices/appliances using the same AC line.
Some products are very sensitive to DC, others are not.

XDC uses a combination of diodes and capacitors to couple to the AC line, and block any DC from reaching the downstream component.

If DC is causing a transformer to hum, XDC will eliminate it.

kenreau

Re: XDC•2 > ground loop vs. DC noise ? help please
« Reply #49 on: 7 Sep 2007, 02:46 am »
I have been pulling my hair out over the last 6 mos. attempting to resolve a electrical buzzing coming through my speakers (only).  I do not notice any mechanical transformer buzzing.

Is there a recommended way to trouble shoot my noise problem short of just ordering and trying the XDC2's ?

Admittedly my system is on the complicated side but I have exhausted most measures I know of and I am still not getting rid of the electrical buzzing noise.

All along I have suspected my noise source is a ground loop between two different systems (2 channel and a HT surround system).  Now I wonder if it may be DC on the circuit.  Over the past 6 months I have had 3 dedicated 20 amp circuits installed, had two (in series) grounding rods installed and just had the Dish Satelite HD DVR receiver coaxial cable grounded to it.  Still getting same noise.  I have tried two cheater plugs, one on the Dish receiver and the other on the plasma.  The only thing I have not tried is star grounding the three dedicated circuit ground wires (my next and last trouble shooting idea).

For reference the two systems are;
1. Audio 2 channel system:
>Modwright Denon 3910 UCDP with outboard tube PS (two pwr cords with ground pins)
>MWI LS36.5 Preamp (typical grounded pwr cord)
>Cayin 860 Tube monoblocks (typical grounded pwr cords)
>Merlin VSMM speakers with SuperBam LF(powered) active/passive filter.  Unplugging the Bam, using battery power makes no noise improvements.  Merlins also serve as L & R fronts for HT.
>All above items plugged into RSA Haley power conditioner, plugged into 1 dedicated circuit.

2. HT Surround system.
>Uses the same MWI 3910 for the DVD source. Digital audio cable feeds the HT Processor.  Component 3x video cables feed Plasma signal for DVD sources.
>Anthem AVM 30 HT Processor/Preamp.  Left & Right front channels feed Cayin 860 amps&Merlins.
>Dish satelite recvr. - with toslink into AVM for audio and HDMI signal to Plasma.
>Outlaw 750 x 5 channel for center and surrounds.  Uses 2 prong a/c cable (no ground pin).  These are plugged into the 2nd dedicated circuit.
>Velodyne SMS sub equalizer.
>Outlaw LFM powered/active subs x 2 each.  Both use 2 prong a/c cable (no ground pin).
>Panasonic PH 50 commercial plasma (typical grounded power cord).  The TV audio runs out through outboard ZVOX TV powered speaker (no ground pin pwr cord).  Receives video from both the Dish recvr and Denon 3910.  This is a potential problem area I am aware of. 
> All above items, except the Denon 3910 CDP/DVD and Outlaw subs, are plugged into a Monster HTPS balanced power supply, into the 3rd dedicated circuit. 

To get somewhat acceptable 2 channel audio I have to disconnect the HDMI cable from the Plasma.  This eliminates 80% of the electrical buzz usually.  Not always.  I have disconnected the subs completely and they have no effect on the noise.  I also looked into  the ground isolator/breaks for the satelite cable but learned the cables now carry power on the coax to and from the dishes and you cannot break the line ground with the isolators - hence my having it put on a ground block tied into the new grounding rods.  Made no difference.  Just the other night while listening, a halide light was switched on in another room and the stereo really started buzzing.

The Cayin mono amps have two input jacks.  For HT left and right fronts I can either operate them direct from the Anthem preamp or from the Anthem to the MWI 36.5 pre and from its HT bypass onto the Cayins.  I've tried it both ways and it doesn't seem to make a difference in noise.  My preference is to run the Cayins direct from the Anthem for HT in order to save the 36.5 tubes.

Any help or trouble shooting advise would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

CIAudio

« Reply #50 on: 7 Sep 2007, 05:23 am »
XDC•2 won't cure your hum through the loudspeakers...this does sound like a ground loop problem, not DC. Call me and I will try to help you sort it out over the phone.

jman66

« Reply #51 on: 7 Sep 2007, 08:58 am »
Ken,

Maybe this post will have some tips that can help you:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=43305.msg388288#msg388288

kenreau

« Reply #52 on: 7 Sep 2007, 04:50 pm »
Thanks Dusty! I will call you today.

Jman66, thanks for the link!  Looks like some great info to read.

Many thanks!