back panel 'wave guide' on OB drivers

bottleneck

back panel 'wave guide' on OB drivers
« on: 29 Nov 2022, 01:59 pm »
Hi all

I'm refurbing my OB speakers. Dali Skyline 2000s.
Crossover is completely re-done (had professional help for that one).

I'm now looking at the 'exit' for the drivers on the back of the mid-ranges, and wondering about them. Essentially, with a thick baffle (mine has to be at least an inch) front mounted drivers  - ''how do we cut through''?  - straight?  or with a wave-guide at the rear?

Wave guide type fixing has to be better, but then , what angle?
Mine have some rear wave guide cut through the front baffle, but there are some overhanging lips. Since a carpenter will visit,  I wondered if there is an ideal angle of cut I could instruct him on, for example 30 degree angle or similar. I appreciate it won't be perfect, but is there a known-good?

I'll try and put a picture up for reference.

bottleneck

Re: back panel 'wave guide' on OB drivers
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2022, 05:15 pm »
https://images.hifido.co.jp/18/348/34882/i.jpg

hi all - the above is a JPG of the wave guide / baffle diffraction on the mids. As you can see, it's not circular, there are 4 indents around the mids. I am thinking of getting rid of them, and adding some bitumen/acoustic foam to reflective panels on the OB. Also interested in peoples finding with lining open baffles for resonance and of course side-wall reflection at the rear. I don't see it much commercially. My guess is this is a visual/commercial consideration rather than best practice sonically.