Vision set 120 control amp silver faceplate?

theedg19688@yahoo.com

Vision set 120 control amp silver faceplate?
« on: 31 Aug 2022, 09:10 pm »
https://tmraudio.com/components/integrated-amplifiers/audio-by-van-alstine-set-120-stereo-integrated-amplifier-set120-black-ava/

Never seen one with a silver face plate.  Shows a 2020 build date
Was that a color option?

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
Re: Vision set 120 control amp silver faceplate?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2022, 04:13 am »
Possibly a demo unit a reviewer purchased, and then later sold?

Mary

• Industry Participant
  • AVA Associate
« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2022, 02:55 pm »
This is our new silver face plate. I sent one to them last week to switch it out. I see that they opted to not use the silver knobs when they replaced the face plate.

jandrews

« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2022, 03:15 pm »
looks so great!
Will customers of Set 120 and RB pre-amps be able to purchase new silver faceplates and knobs directly?
thanks
JS

Rocket

« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2022, 02:05 am »
Hi,

The new faceplate looks stunning. I'm sure you will sell a bundle of the control amps :).

Cheers Rod

albertd

« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2022, 06:57 pm »
Is the control amp also available with a black faceplate?
Thanks

Al D’Addario

Rocket

« Reply #6 on: 6 Sep 2022, 06:05 am »
Hi,

I'm pretty sure it is as the silver faceplate is a new addition to the line up. Its funny people bugged Frank for a silver faceplate...

https://avahifi.com/collections/power-amplifiers/products/vision-set-120-control-amplifier

Cheers Rod

avahifi

« Reply #7 on: 6 Sep 2022, 10:31 pm »
New thick silver faceplate and knob set available only.  Black is discontinued.

Frank

ceylon

« Reply #8 on: 8 Sep 2022, 09:56 am »
man it looks good!

TMR sure ends up with a good bit of AVA gear

ceylon

« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2022, 09:57 am »
This is our new silver face plate. I sent one to them last week to switch it out. I see that they opted to not use the silver knobs when they replaced the face plate.

how much are they--faceplate, knobs, both?

ceylon

Mary

• Industry Participant
  • AVA Associate
« Reply #10 on: 8 Sep 2022, 02:33 pm »
I am sorry but we are not able to sell the face plate and knobs right now. We did a smaller run to be sure all was well and need the face plates for current orders.

In addition, there is more to it that just swapping out face plates and knobs. The silver face plate is thicker requiring adjustments to the headphone jack etc. It would be pretty spending to ship, it requires me to stock special boxes just for this as well.

When we are in a position to ship out face plates and knobs, I will let you know.

Mary

avahifi

« Reply #11 on: 8 Sep 2022, 06:40 pm »
Here is a nicer photo of the new SET 120 Control Amp faceplate.  The SET 120 faceplate is identical, just no knobs.

DrexelLake

« Reply #12 on: 3 Oct 2022, 11:39 pm »
That's the one. My current system is black, and since the 80's I never really cared for black when everyone started to switch over. Can't wait to get this one in my rack. Just turned 59 1/2.  :D

willywoody

« Reply #13 on: 15 Nov 2022, 01:29 am »
I am the happy owner of this amp, bought from TMR this year. I wondered why there was a set of silver knobs packaged with the amp and now I know! I like it with the black knobs.

I currently rotate it with a First Watt M2 and my Mcintosh MC275, but mainly use the MC275. These are powering Tannoy Cheviots. Mostly Qobuz or local file  streams through a Chord Qutest but I have a Sota turntable, too.

Sometimes I find the Set120 does so much great that I forget that I'm not listening to the MC275. I found I prefer to use the Set120 with my Mcintosh c2300 preamp rather than without a preamp. The high end is a bit more relaxed and less etched with the tubes up front.

Anyways, I've been drooling over the new AVA amps released this year and heard this was the place for all things AVA. Think I might go for some monoblocks or a Set500. Still researching. Thanks to the forum for all the reviews to consider.

Nick B

« Reply #14 on: 15 Nov 2022, 02:31 am »
I am the happy owner of this amp, bought from TMR this year. I wondered why there was a set of silver knobs packaged with the amp and now I know! I like it with the black knobs.

I currently rotate it with a First Watt M2 and my Mcintosh MC275, but mainly use the MC275. These are powering Tannoy Cheviots. Mostly Qobuz or local file  streams through a Chord Qutest but I have a Sota turntable, too.

Sometimes I find the Set120 does so much great that I forget that I'm not listening to the MC275. I found I prefer to use the Set120 with my Mcintosh c2300 preamp rather than without a preamp. The high end is a bit more relaxed and less etched with the tubes up front.

Anyways, I've been drooling over the new AVA amps released this year and heard this was the place for all things AVA. Think I might go for some monoblocks or a Set500. Still researching. Thanks to the forum for all the reviews to consider.

Congrats! You’ve joined an owners club with very many happy users 👍