BDA-3 DAC

audio.bill

Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #260 on: 13 Feb 2016, 01:25 am »
Great that you got it working, enjoy your new BDA-3 DAC!!!

Grant Hill

« Reply #261 on: 13 Feb 2016, 04:16 pm »
Thank you! I will defintely do! :D

davidtgoh

« Reply #262 on: 15 Feb 2016, 07:19 pm »
I am looking forward to acquiring a BDA-3.  I still can't quite figure out if I need a BDP-1 or a BDP-2 to pair with it?  The BDP-2 seems to duplicate a lot of the capacity of the BDA-3.  I plan to use a NAS server for ripped and downloaded files along with Oppo Blu Ray for SACD through the BDA-3. 
1) Using Manic Moose to access files, do I need a BDP at all in the chain?
2) Will the sound quality be different from the BDP-1 versus BDP-2 as a server for the BDA-3?

If these questions have already be addressed, just point me to the right thread.

Thanks!  I've enjoyed Bryston products as the core of my system for many years.

Silverbullet

« Reply #263 on: 15 Feb 2016, 09:04 pm »
The BDA-3 is only a DAC, you need a music player to send it files. 

Manic Moose only runs on a BDP-1 or 2, you need one of these to play your audio from a NAS. As I understand it, either of these will play music from a NAS drive, the BDP-2 simply has more connectivity and functionality. The decision as to which one you get is yours as long as you don't later crave one of the benefits of a BDP-2 if you buy a BDP-1.

I have no idea if there is a difference in sound between the two.

bjski

« Reply #264 on: 16 Feb 2016, 03:08 am »
I have both BDP-1 and BDP-2 with the new sound card. If you can afford it get the BDP-2. BDP-2 definitely sounds better in my system.

davidtgoh

« Reply #265 on: 16 Feb 2016, 04:42 am »
Thanks for the input thus far.  The BDA-3 plays DSD files back from  usb, right?  How does it do this without a server?  And the BDP-2 does not process DSD Native, correct?

On another note, how much is the upgraded IAD sound card cost to add to an older BDP-2, whether factory installed, or installed by the user?

David

Grant Hill

« Reply #266 on: 16 Feb 2016, 08:14 am »
BDA3 is great with DSD files. They can be played only via USB (of course if you own sacds you can play them via HDMI on a blu-ray player with dedicated HDMI output like Oppo).

Beside Sacds, you need to use a computer and install JRiver or Foobar2000. the other solution is use a streamer or a music server who can handle DSD files.

Bones13

« Reply #267 on: 16 Feb 2016, 12:38 pm »
BDP-2 brochure says it handles DSD files up to DSD512, so it should do the trick.

DSD is rather new to Bryston gear, so there is not a lot of talk about it when you search back. I am awaiting a BDA-3, which I will be using with a purpose built PC for now. As my current system does not do DSD at all, I can't comment on the process.

You will need some sort of computing device between your NAS and DAC. Streamer, PC, BDA-x, etc. AFAIK, DSD is only going over a USB connection. Perhaps there are some SPDIF, and some I2S based systems out there, but none widely commercially standardized. (There are a few HDMI I2S systems out there, manufacturer specific)

I think there will be more Digital Players over time, the BDA-1 blazed that trail, and many will incorporate the DAC, so the only connection will be Ethernet, and possibly an RCA and/or HDMI to get digital signal direct from the disc.

Grant Hill

« Reply #268 on: 16 Feb 2016, 02:37 pm »
Ops, I did not know that BDP-2 was able to handle DSD files...

I suggest you to try some DSD files on your system once you'll have the BDA-3... I think that you'll be very satisfied with it

davidtgoh

« Reply #269 on: 16 Feb 2016, 03:03 pm »
Does the BDP-2 "wrap" the DSD in PCM?  Then would the BDA-3 "unwrap" it?  Would this make a difference in sound quality (as some seem to indicate)?  It's pretty clear I've very sketchy in my understanding of the DSD stuff!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #270 on: 16 Feb 2016, 03:29 pm »
Does the BDP-2 "wrap" the DSD in PCM?  Then would the BDA-3 "unwrap" it?  Would this make a difference in sound quality (as some seem to indicate)?  It's pretty clear I've very sketchy in my understanding of the DSD stuff!

DSD can be played back as DSD in what is called 'DOP' (DSD over PCM) or as a 'Native' DSD file.  Both files are true DSD.  The DOP just uses the PCM as a carrier.

james

Bones13

« Reply #271 on: 20 Feb 2016, 04:49 am »
What happens when you play a DVDa disc in the Oppo via the HDMI of the BDA-3? I don't know how DVDa discs files look, or how one goes about setting the output of the Oppo for best sound. I have so far had to use the line out of the Oppo for anything other than redbook through coax SPDIF in my current DAC.

Still awaiting my BDA-3... soon I hope.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #272 on: 21 Feb 2016, 08:06 am »
I'd LOVE to find out! Please please please, let us know what you find. One of the main benefits I hope to achieve from a BDA-3 upgrade is DVD-A and SACD via HDMI.

Bones13

« Reply #273 on: 21 Feb 2016, 01:12 pm »
I did do some searching. DSD from SACD has been discussed already. DVDa is output as 2 channel PCM music at higher than Redbook resolution.(I need to see how the options look in the oppo)

To use the multichannel files one needs a multichannel decoder.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #274 on: 22 Feb 2016, 06:46 am »
So, the BDA-3 showing up as a 2-ch source (as it should, unless its on pass-through). Is the Oppo is selecting the 2ch version of the audio on the desk, or is the Oppo converting the multi-channel down to 2-channel?

audio.bill

« Reply #275 on: 24 Feb 2016, 12:39 am »
James, I have a question if you'd be so kind. The Bryston DAC brochure states: "Each electrical input is galvanically isolated to completely eliminate the possibility of ground noise from the attached interconnect and device from polluting the signal." I wanted to please confirm that the galvanic isolation applies to the USB input. If so it's quite an advantage compared to the majority of other DACs which benefit from an add-on device to provide such isolation. Many thanks for your support!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #276 on: 24 Feb 2016, 12:44 am »
James, I have a question if you'd be so kind. The Bryston DAC brochure states: "Each electrical input is galvanically isolated to completely eliminate the possibility of ground noise from the attached interconnect and device from polluting the signal." I wanted to please confirm that the galvanic isolation applies to the USB input. If so it's quite an advantage compared to the majority of other DACs which benefit from an add-on device to provide such isolation. Many thanks for your support!

Yes it does apply.

james

audio.bill

« Reply #277 on: 24 Feb 2016, 12:52 am »
That's great to hear, and your response time is amazing! I just received my BDA-3 (silver, blue LEDs and remote) yesterday and have it currently running in. My initial listen was quite impressive playing some high res files, and I know it will get even better in time. I have to remember that patience is a virtue - I've had the DAC on order since November. As the saying goes 'good things come to those who wait'. Your exceptional support and fine products are very much appreciated!

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #278 on: 24 Feb 2016, 10:30 am »
hi, audio.bill!

what remote came with your BDA-3? i guess it's the BR-2 ?!?

thanx,

al.

audio.bill

« Reply #279 on: 24 Feb 2016, 01:39 pm »
Hi Al - It is indeed the BR2 remote which is available as an option. It has a lot more buttons than used for their DACs since it also supports their other remote controlled gear. http://www.bryston.com/products/other/BR2.html