Has anyone built a tx103 box?

violinist3

« on: 5 Oct 2004, 03:09 am »
Ive been thinking of getting a pair of TX103 and making my own step up to probably an AT-09 MC. I'm using a Scout/JMW9 and Wright-Sound WPL10V with a posssibly damaged 10X5 (bent cantilever which I bent back). Maybe just use exposed xformers mounted on a piece of wood with Capactor clamps and an L shaped piece of aluminun to mount the RCA jacks. Or maybe a cheap aluminun mini box with decent RCA's.

Dennis Selwa

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2004, 02:57 pm »
Hello!

Should work fine like that.  Most of the time tx103's are fine without an enclosure but in certain cases there can be some hum if they happen to sit in a spot with fields present. In an aluminum box should be fine in any case.

Let me know if there are any other questions.

Thanks!

John

violinist3

Are the leads solderable?
« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2004, 12:11 pm »
Can I solder the output leads to an RCA plug?

Dennis

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 7 Oct 2004, 02:14 pm »
Hello!

Yes you can put an rca plug right on the output leads and use that to connect to your phono stage. If you are running them out of the box take care to protect them at the exit point from the enclosure. Also you may want to shield the cable but certainly could try unshielded first - much faster to build unshielded!

Thanks!

John

violinist3

You would think the input would be the shortest?
« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2004, 01:08 am »
The input wires have the lowest signal level which is closer to the ambient noise level so why not make the inputs short and the outputs long?

Dennis

mac

« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2004, 02:00 am »
I built a step up device awhile ago using Jensen xformers.  I'd wager that the TX103's are similar in size.

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 8 Oct 2004, 02:08 am »
Hello!

Mac - Nice job on the step-up box. The tx103's are pretty big but the same idea you have shown should work fine.

Dennis - I am a fan of keeping both wires short! You are right the input wires see the lowest level signal. Most the tx103's running 'naked' (no enclosure at all) have the input leads cut short (maybe 1-1/2" to 2" or so) and terminated with a female rca and then the output leads cut as short as you can and still reach the phono stage inputs comfortably (often about 6" or so) and the output leads terminated with a male rca. Gently twist the input and the output leads.  Same basic idea applies when you mount them inside a box as well.

Thanks!

John