Storm Damage

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Storm Damage
« on: 6 Aug 2017, 11:31 pm »
Woke up at 1:00am this morning to tornado sirens. The tornado passed less than 1 mile north of my house. No major damage here except that the wind destroyed the paint booth I had set up in my driveway.

Other areas weren't so lucky. Here's what happened to the local Woodcraft store

The entire area around the store looked like that or worse

Mike

BK_856er

Re: Storm Damage
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2017, 11:58 pm »
Wow, that's crazy.  Glad you made out OK apart from the paint booth.

I only need worry about the occasional earthquake in my region.

BK

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2017, 12:24 am »
Any natural weather disaster can be bad.  I had lightning damage towards the end of March and still a little paranoid when I hear thunder (was in my office when it happened and I could just about feel the electrical field in front of me and my monitor looked like Poltergeist before it went out completely).

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2017, 12:44 am »
In 1992 dishonest electricians did not ground my building so in 2009, during a small rain a lightning struck the flagstaff at a school 50 meters next to the building.
Result burned the varistors from the PS of my pc.

JakeJ

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2017, 12:56 am »
Wow!  Glad you and yours came out OK, Mike, other than the paint booth.  Hope the weather calms down there.  Tornado Alley can have its ups and downs...literally!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2017, 01:35 am »
Mike, glad you came through the storm ok.  I've got cousins in Tulsa that I checked on earlier.  Seems like many of the tornadoes that used to hit central Tx have moved north.  OK and MO have really taken the hits over the past couple of years.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 7 Aug 2017, 01:53 am »
Yep, tornado alley it is. In the last 3 years there have been at least 5 tornadoes within 2 miles of my house. Three of them were less than a mile away.

Woodcraft sent out an email to those on their list saying they would be closed for 60 to 90 days.

We have also become one of, if not the, most earthquake active state. Two years ago I had to add specific earthquake insurance to my homeowner's policy. Granted most of the quakes are pretty small, though we did have a 4.2 last week.

Now I have to get a new spray booth. I'm thinking along the lines of a ShelterLogic shed. Should be a lot more sturdy than an EZ-Up.

Mike

jcotner

« Reply #7 on: 7 Aug 2017, 02:50 am »
I bought quite a bit of stuff in that Woodcraft store. I told my wife when I was looking at the footage from the KOTV helicopter that the
Woodcraft got clobbered. It also looks like Ferguson down the street got blasted. Very fortunate no deaths, as least I heard about.
This one was kind of sedate compared to the one I saw there in '93. That's the one that sat a school bus in the middle of I-44 and
leveled the truck stop across the road.
I still miss Tulsa in spite of the weather, but glad you didn't have a direct hit Mike.
Don't have any more saws to sell you.  :D

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 7 Aug 2017, 03:05 am »
I bought quite a bit of stuff in that Woodcraft store. I told my wife when I was looking at the footage from the KOTV helicopter that the
Woodcraft got clobbered. It also looks like Ferguson down the street got blasted. Very fortunate no deaths, as least I heard about.
This one was kind of sedate compared to the one I saw there in '93. That's the one that sat a school bus in the middle of I-44 and
leveled the truck stop across the road.
I still miss Tulsa in spite of the weather, but glad you didn't have a direct hit Mike.
Don't have any more saws to sell you.  :D

Hi Jeff,

My wife is concerned about me going through withdrawal symptoms :)

This one was sedate, relatively speaking. It was an EF2.

Got no more room for saws so I guess it's a good thing you're out   :green:

Mike

jcotner

« Reply #9 on: 7 Aug 2017, 03:26 am »
Got no more room for saws so I guess it's a good thing you're out   :green:

What I meant was I'm glad you didn't end up like Woodcraft, which might have meant you
would have been in the market for a new saw.

I have a friend there that says he just hopes there is never a major earthquake while they
are in the storm cellar waiting out a Tornado!

ebag4

« Reply #10 on: 7 Aug 2017, 03:27 am »
Hey Mike, close call, glad You didn't have any major damage.

Best,
Ed

Captainhemo

« Reply #11 on: 8 Aug 2017, 04:23 pm »
glad you    weren't in the direct path Mike .  I saw a bunch of this on  our news up here, looked pretty bad..

Any natural weather disaster can be bad. 

We're now at the 40 day   mark without rain of any kind and  record  setting heat (hard to  break heat records in the Okanagan).  a huge part of BC has now been burning for  over a month, we've had up to 50,000 people on evacuation order at times.  So much has been lost in terms of forst, peronal property, livestock etc, brutal.   
The smoke over much of the province is crazy, some days the  air quality is  comparable to that of a typical day in Bejing :(
Looking at least  another week of high temps and no precip,   abit of  achange  is forecast for the following week so everyone is hoping the models are  correct.

Here are some pics of the various fires:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=bc+2017+wildfire+pictures&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiW8NXcg8jVAhUU22MKHeesAmUQsAQIKA&biw=1280&bih=698#imgrc=_

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 8 Aug 2017, 04:44 pm »
What I meant was I'm glad you didn't end up like Woodcraft, which might have meant you
would have been in the market for a new saw.

I have a friend there that says he just hopes there is never a major earthquake while they
are in the storm cellar waiting out a Tornado!

Jeff,

Now I understand

Jay,

At least the damage from a tornado only affects a narrow part of the area it passes through. Wild fires are a whole different animal. We get some of those too but not like you have.

Captainhemo

« Reply #13 on: 8 Aug 2017, 05:17 pm »
So far we've been  lucky in our immediate area. No huge  forst fires  right  here (most has been a  bit north of us), just   heat and smoke.   We've had some pretty stupid people doing some pretty stupid things.  A couple weeks back, some bozo lit a fire just up the lake from us resulting in  manye  evacuations and the loss of 10 or 11 homes.  Been a couple of outher incidents involving what i call  "dumb asses" ruinning around lighting fires  trying to cause  chaos :roll:

JakeJ

« Reply #14 on: 8 Aug 2017, 06:55 pm »
glad you    weren't in the direct path Mike .  I saw a bunch of this on  our news up here, looked pretty bad..

We're now at the 40 day   mark without rain of any kind and  record  setting heat (hard to  break heat records in the Okanagan).  a huge part of BC has now been burning for  over a month, we've had up to 50,000 people on evacuation order at times.  So much has been lost in terms of forst, peronal property, livestock etc, brutal.   
The smoke over much of the province is crazy, some days the  air quality is  comparable to that of a typical day in Bejing :(
Looking at least  another week of high temps and no precip,   abit of  achange  is forecast for the following week so everyone is hoping the models are  correct.

Here are some pics of the various fires:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=bc+2017+wildfire+pictures&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiW8NXcg8jVAhUU22MKHeesAmUQsAQIKA&biw=1280&bih=698#imgrc=_

jay

Hi Jay,

I'm down here in SE Washington State and we have been sharing the smoke for most of the month with you.  I know it's gotta be ugly up there and I sympathize with all my fellow British Columbians in the summer from hell!  Glad you haven't been directly burned.

I guess the fire frenzy just brings out the bozos that think fire is good old fashioned fun.  :icon_twisted:

Captainhemo

« Reply #15 on: 8 Aug 2017, 08:18 pm »
Hi Jay,

I'm down here in SE Washington State and we have been sharing the smoke for most of the month with you.  I know it's gotta be ugly up there and I sympathize with all my fellow British Columbians in the summer from hell!  Glad you haven't been directly burned.

I guess the fire frenzy just brings out the bozos that think fire is good old fashioned fun.  :icon_twisted:

Yes, I've heardmost of WA has been effected  by  the smoke, kind of a  strange  weather flow right now.  Sounds  like  they are expecting  thngs to get back to  s SW flow so  hopefully some relief is in the   works for all of us.  Sad part is, without rain, the  winds are  just  going to  feed the  fires

With so many  new firs  starting each day  from dry lightning,  additional man-made blazes are the last thing   anyone needs, especailly those  linked directly  to arrson

jay

JakeJ

« Reply #16 on: 8 Aug 2017, 09:55 pm »
At this point I'm willing to pay for a good rain storm.  :lol:

Jake

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 10 Aug 2017, 09:06 pm »
The building Woodcraft was in has been condemned. They will either have to wait for the shopping center to be torn down and rebuilt or find another location.

JakeJ

« Reply #18 on: 11 Aug 2017, 12:44 am »
Sorry to hear that, hope they can come back from this setback.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 11 Aug 2017, 02:01 am »
The person who owne the Tulsa store has been stressing they will reopen. He just doesn't know where or when yet.