Adding sources to Cyclops

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
Adding sources to Cyclops
« on: 19 Oct 2020, 07:36 pm »
I’ve been using a Cyclops for several years now and up to this point haven’t been concerned with only being able to connect to one source.  I was looking in the ad section of the website and saw a Schiit SYS for sale which got me thinking.  Can something that simple be connected to my amp allowing me to connect to two sources if I ever want that in the future?  I could see it not being possible since the amp doesn’t have a switch to differentiate between two sources but I thought I would ask.
Thank you.

srb

Re: Adding sources to Cyclops
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2020, 09:29 pm »
Yes, you could use the SYS to connect two sources to your Cyclops.

The signal would be routed through two volume controls though, and it's possible you might detect a slight reduction in sound quality.  You would probably want to max out the volume control on the SYS to lessen the effect.

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2020, 10:06 pm »
Thank you srb, I noticed that it has a volume control which as you mentioned could be turned up allowing me to use the amps volume to regulate the speakers volume.  Maybe I can find something more ‘passive’, ie, without volume control if I want to move forward down this path?  Or maybe its just another sign that I should move into separates?   :duh:

decal

« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2020, 11:05 pm »
I never understood the reason for only one input. I guess there's a niche market for it out there or he wouldn't make it. :scratch:

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2020, 11:12 pm »
I’m an oddball for sure, but I’ve only had a CD player attached (I’ve since replaced it with a streamer) so it’s been no big deal.  That Schiit got me thinking about other options however.

GeneS

« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2020, 11:25 pm »
The FAQ on the Schiit web site says to turn the volume all the way up on the SYS to use it as a switcher (which is what it sounds like you want).
Seems like a great work around to expand your Cyclops!

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2020, 11:55 pm »
Awesome GeneS, thank you for looking into that for me. That’s exactly what I want! 

GentleBender

« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2020, 08:35 am »
I was in the same boat as you Ice10. I went with a Freya + and didn’t find it to be a good match for my Cyclops. The Cyclops sounded much better with the sources plugged straight into the Cyclops. Klaus can correct me if I’m wrong, but he told me to turn the Cyclops volume all the way up and use the pre-amp for volume adjustments. I ended up selling the Freya +. The SYS is much cheaper so experimenting may work out for you and you aren’t out much if you don’t like it.