Are there any Khartago or Stratos Magnepan owner’s here?

Lynxo

Hi,

Very curious your thoughts and experiences if you drive your Magnepans with Odyssey gear.

What is your favorite pre amp in this set up?

esus1

Re: Are there any Khartago or Stratos Magnepan owner’s here?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2020, 09:09 am »
Greetings,
I have  been running a pair of 1.7i maggies with a pair of Khartago mono amps from Klaus.
My amps have the Kismet board upgrade(black board) as well as some other upgrade pieces. They are extremely well built and they are a really good match for these speakers. As you know the Magnepan speakers like power. My preamp is a Schitt Saga plus. I think it is hard to beat that preamp for the money. Eventually I will upgrade the preamp to something pure tube based but the Odyssey mono amps are keepers. I am very satisfied with them in every way. I have tried a couple of lesser amps with the Maggies and I can detect a huge difference. So far the current setup is my favorite. I hope this helps!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2020, 03:03 pm »
I highly recommend a good tube preamp with a SS amp with Maggies.  I use  a BAT VK-51se tube preamp and have used another tube preamp with my 1.6's.    I have a few friends that use this AVA tube pre with 1.7's and 3.7's-

https://avahifi.com/collections/preamplifiers/products/fet-valve-cf-slr-preamplifier

Others to consider are the Schiit Frey Plus,  Prima Luna, Don Sachs, Rogue Audio, Cary Audio, Vincent Audio, Conrad Johnson.  Also, consider going used and check audiogon.com for great deals on used gear.

geerock

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2020, 04:08 pm »
I have Kismet in Stratos monos with 1.7i's.  I specifically got a hold of Klaus because I was having trouble finding an amp that could feed those Maggie's.  Those things chewed up and spit out other amps.  Anyway, don't worry about wattage for Maggie's, you need high current.  And those capacitor banks in the Odysseys supply that in spades.  I use the monos with a Don Sachs all in preamp.  The tube pre with SS amps is a great combo...especially with Maggies.

Lynxo

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2020, 04:20 pm »
Hi

Thank you.

I recently aquired the Black Ice F360 Pre, uses 6sn7. I previously had a Rogue pre that also used 6sn7 and
recall it had a wide sound stage. 

I picked up a used Khartago Stereo, been reading Klaus actually bias these based on speakers used.
What if you switch speakers, is this something you can do yourself? Most tube amps, you can adjust
bias.

I’m still waiting for my 1.7i. Plan to do an A n B between the Khartago Stereo and a Tube amp.

I guess it is also a matter of the bias which would make it perform optimally.

Does Klaus respond via email?
What is the turn around time for bias or upgrades?
That is a big load for just one person to work on?

jesphoto

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jul 2020, 11:21 pm »
Stratos and Magnepan mg12 user here.  Been using this combo along with an old Acurus  preamp for 15+ years with good success.  Thinking about trying a tube preamp in the future.

Merckx1

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2020, 04:28 am »
2007 era MMG’s, Khartago SE stereo amp, Schiit Saga original with upgraded tube. Speakers are elevated 6” off the floor and screwed to vertical metal stands. Good sound all ‘round!

mclev

« Reply #7 on: 1 Aug 2020, 06:22 pm »
Hi,

Very curious your thoughts and experiences if you drive your Magnepans with Odyssey gear.

What is your favorite pre amp in this set up?

High current is what Maggie's want. I have the Khartago monos with Maggie 3.3, which was the beginning of the full panel plus ribbon 3 series. The Khartagos are very stable and a good fit. I use the Rogue 99 tube pre.

PhotonDon

« Reply #8 on: 7 Aug 2020, 03:53 am »
Good question. I ran Maggie 1.6qrs  for 7-ish years powered by a Stratos Stereo Plus. Very pleased with the sound, I don't think I was missing anything audibly.  I may have gotten it warm a couple times but it had to work hard to get there. Id say a great combo.

lovelexicon

« Reply #9 on: 8 Aug 2020, 12:24 am »
I use a pair of Mono Extreme (2003 version) with my Magnepan 1.7i.  No problems at all, which means I cannot experience (even if I wanted to experience it) what others have reported about Magnepan speakers shutting down amps.

arfan

« Reply #10 on: 8 Aug 2020, 03:03 pm »
Hi.
I have 1.7i's and have powered them with a Stratos stereo and with a 2010 version of Stratos Extreme monos heavily modified. Both amplifiers sound pleasing. I can hear the greater authority with the higher current in the lower frequencies with the monos,however, the stereo sounds cleaner and more transparent to my ears. I have noticed this long before a read a few posts on the bridged design of the monos and impact on sound. You always have to remember that maggies/planars, are very revealing to electronics and source quality.     

lovelexicon

« Reply #11 on: 9 Aug 2020, 09:43 pm »
Arfan:

Given your experience of the Magnepan 1.7i's with the two different Odyssey amps, If you can buy either the Stratos Stereo or the Stratos Extreme monos today, which one will you get?