Any one using a passive linestage?

jjss49

Re: Any one using a passive linestage?
« Reply #20 on: 14 Oct 2020, 05:09 pm »
i have tried several passives over the years... implementing them can be tricky, depends so much on the equipment passing through it, cabling etc etc

i have always felt actives give more life and drive to the music, so have moved away from them over the years... you could say there is a loss of some 'transparency' but something is also gained

sunnydaze

« Reply #21 on: 14 Oct 2020, 06:03 pm »
i have tried several passives over the years... implementing them can be tricky, depends so much on the equipment passing through it, cabling etc etc

i have always felt actives give more life and drive to the music, so have moved away from them over the years... you could say there is a loss of some 'transparency' but something is also gained

That's been my experience as well.

marc513

« Reply #22 on: 14 Oct 2020, 06:39 pm »
  I use a warp speed LDR i feed it with a Rhea phono stage and use a NAT se2se amp with 211 tubes.i have used it a few years and love it . I have no desire to look any further for a line stage.
        Marc

Early B.

« Reply #23 on: 14 Oct 2020, 07:46 pm »
That's been my experience as well.

Me, too.

DeeCee

« Reply #24 on: 14 Oct 2020, 11:16 pm »

I found that using a TVC (Transformer Volume Control) preserves dynamics that most resistive volume controls lack (mine is an autotransformer, actually.)

I believe this is due to voltage being converted to current and vice versa when volume is increased or decreased. No energy is “thrown away” like resistive units (at least this is my theory.)

Of course all this is dependent on design and implementation and varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

What counts is how it sounds in YOUR system and implementation (and of course your budget!)

Happy Listening!
DeeCee

Stercom

« Reply #25 on: 15 Oct 2020, 01:52 pm »
I agree a transformer based passive is excellent. If it doesn't have a transformer it's basically just a switcher. I used the Sonic Euphoria for awhile and was very impressed. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #26 on: 15 Oct 2020, 04:36 pm »
  I would agree transformer based are the best. Keep in mind not all amps are passive friendly. A very low input sensitivity is required for BESt results. Gotta be under 1MV. Have fun trying.

charles

sunnydaze

« Reply #27 on: 15 Oct 2020, 04:53 pm »
And a high input impedance on the amp for best chance at success.  Over 100k.

DeeCee

« Reply #28 on: 15 Oct 2020, 06:33 pm »
Impedance issues are not as much a problem with TVC preamps; the Khartago works really well with mine.

For more subjective remarks, I did the following review (but with my former amp, an Aragon 4004 Mk. II.) Pretty much the same performance applies using the Khartago. My Sonic Euphoria seems to step out of the way and lets the amp and source shine through at an amazing bang per buck (IMHO):

https://www.audioasylum.com/reviews/Preamplifier-SS/Sonic-Euphoria/PLC/amp/97587.html

Happy Listening!
DeeCee
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2020, 04:48 pm by DeeCee »