Occasionally.
3 (14.3%)
Rarely.
7 (33.3%)
Never.
10 (47.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: 31 Dec 2002, 06:42 am

Ever actually watch a disc at reference level?

bubba966

« on: 31 Dec 2002, 06:42 am »
Just wondering if any of you actually ever crank it up to 0dB?

My usual listening level is actually at -15dB. But I think if you saw my setup you might understand why I rarely ever have a need to turn it up past -15.

Andrew Lamb

« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2002, 07:14 am »
I can't stand listening at that loud for that long.
I usually listen at much lower, but occasionally will turn it up if I want to hear a certain passage or am chapter seeking/special feature watching, etc.

mitch

« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2002, 09:24 am »
What exactly is reference level?

I listen to TV at -20 movies -10 to -6.
+6 gives 120dbSPL peaks in a small room with the door closed. :D

greve

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2002, 02:02 pm »
With one of the kids and/or SWMBO constantly being at home when I'm at home makes it impossible in my case. I have once tried to go close to 0 when I was home alone, which was good, but in general I can't do it due to "family constraints".

jcoat007

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2002, 02:24 pm »
When the wife and kids are out of town, I crank it up.  That's maybe two or three times per year.  But I love to crank up both music and movies.  When I installed my first surround system, I popped in The Matrix and cranked it as loud as I could stand it.  It was so freaaking loud that I think I may have sustained ear damage.  My wife left the house because she couldn't stand it.  After the movie was over I kept replaying the lobby shooting scene over and over in order to adjust the tweeter angle to my liking.  

I love it loud.

bob82274

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2002, 03:08 pm »
Well living in a dorm leaves me with a bunch of neighboors close by.  I put it at -15 all the time but I still get complaints.  Well from my suitemate anyway.  He always complains that my room is always so violent.  I shrug it off and he goes and plays his electric guitar.  I wonder what our wallmates think of us...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2002, 05:53 pm »
I don't listen at reference levels, either.  Just too loud for me.  I'll crank it up on occasion, but up to maybe -5 dB, usually more like -15 dB.

One of my goals for '03 is a more elaborate system of room treatments for my HT room.  The system is parametrically eq'd in the bass end and has some room treatment, but I'd like to work on integrating some tube traps and some DIY absorbers and a bit more diffusion.  I think the sound would hang together a bit better then even as the volume increases.

Even then I don't think I'll ever do much listening at 0 dB!

Ferdi

« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2002, 07:08 pm »
I usually watch movies at -20 on the dial. I don't really know what that really means in terms of SPL. I've never measured it.

greve

« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2002, 09:03 pm »
Mine is usually around -30 (but note that some of my speakers are turned down -7dB).

I can try to measure with an SPL Meter one of these days - which disc do we agree to use for reference - The Matrix, Lobby Scene :?:

Ferdi, it's 8pm on New Years Eve where you are when you wrote this post - get away from that computer :!:  (ehhh, it's 9pm where I am now, but I use this as an excuse not to change the diaper on my baby - my wife just went upstairs with him, so I guess it worked... :oops: ).

Happy New Year

PeteG

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jan 2003, 04:49 pm »
I listen between -25 & -10.

When I have listened at reference level (rarely) it was not for the
whole movie just certian parts.

greve

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2003, 06:43 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
Quote from: Ferdi
I usually watch movies at -20 on the dial. I don't really know what that really means in terms of SPL. I've never measured it.

Ferdi, get yourself a Radio Shack SPL meter, I like the analog one.  It should be around $30 Euro's.

Then get yourself a test disc like video essentials.

You then use the disc to calibrate your receiver.  If you follow the instructions it is very easy to find what the reference level of your sysem is, and to have your system properly set up.

It is much easier to set up your system with the SPL meter than without it.

I think it would be good the get "reference level" defined then, as I'm getting confused now. An SPL meter IMO is used to set the level of the individual channels so that the test-tone generator sound has the same level in all (full frequency) channels. What is reference level then and what do I use an SPL meter for in this respect?

BTW, I do have the analogue Radio Shack SPL meter and "The Ultimate DVD Platinum" but I haven't seen any mention of reference level on this setup disc-set.

nathanm

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jan 2003, 11:46 pm »
Is reference level referring to to average level at which the DVD is mastered in the mastering room or is it supposed to approximate how loud the movie is played in a commerical theater?  I can't say I've seen many movies in the theater where I felt it was "too loud" or "unbearable".  Hmmm.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 8 Jan 2003, 12:17 am »
Reference level as defined by dolby is 105db peaks from the 5 main speakers, and 115db peaks from the LFE (Subwoofer).  It is very loud.