ONE.3 listening impressions

ericlp151

ONE.3 listening impressions
« on: 12 Apr 2014, 01:13 am »
Alright... Early impressions.  I've had my one.3 for a few days now.   

Listening to de-phazz godsdog CD and so far so good.  Modern Jazz seems to be made for this amp.

Still breaking it in but so far it's just as good if not a bit better than my Trends Amp.   Exactly what I was looking for.  It doesn't hit the deep lows like my trends does.  I am thinking maybe after  2-3 hundred hours of playing the amp will open up a bit more.  However, the proof is in the detail and I was worried I would have lost that but to get the same and even more is wonderful!  It does play about twice as loud as my trends.  I expect it will play even louder on batteries and maybe with more lower frequencies as well since I am only using the standard power supply (lower wattage).   I wonder what it would sound like sonicaps.  Hmmm kinda wonder if that would improve the lower end?

So far I am pleased with the sound.  It's extremely quiet and the detail is great!   Hope it brings many many years of enjoyment.   

It's a solid amp with a bright Blue LED.  I have not tightened up the volume knob yet but when I do I am sure the coffee sticks will come in handy!  Thanks Seth & Thank You for the Interconnects.   

bardamu

Re: ONE.3 listening impressions
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2014, 05:21 am »
Hello,
I have been using my sensation with  what i think is a linear power supply. Just a big transformer ( 300va plus), a choke input, panasonic high grade caps, another choke further '' down the line ''. Now i am using it with big batteries and it is surely better. Look for my other posts. Even though i am using it with the 80 herz filter i still can quarantee that there is an improvement in the lower regions. So much that i decided to order a second pc12 subwoofer, an anti-mode and a device to connect the subwoofer wireless. A pity i will have to wait for the wireless device to be in stock otherwise i woulkd have played with them with easter.
BUT the only way to find out if batteries is the way to go is to buy one!!! ( in fact 2 to make it 24 volts)
So people who did take the risk of buying the newborn have to make another investment. If you buy big ones and good quality your life will never be the same. Every time i listen i say to myself i should have done it before.
Sincere greetings, Edward

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2014, 04:38 am »
Thanks so much guys. 

When we designed these amps I made the calculation that at this price point it was hard to find a speaker that would play the lowest octave that well.  So 2+1 would be the sweet spot.  That's why we put the sub on there.

I've heard amps with crisper bottom end, including low wattage tube amps.  Still, control over drivers capable of serious volume at < 50 hz typically requires a lot of power.  You're getting 30wpc with the standard supply.  I haven't heard a tighter bottom end than with the ICEBlocks.   The extra power (500w @ 4 ohms) made a difference.

I still have 1 pair left of those!!!
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2014, 12:21 pm by virtue »

ericlp151

« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2014, 10:52 am »
Hey Seth, could we get some info on who makes the caps for the new Three?  Also, is that an Alps volume control? 

I like the relay circuit for the off and on.  Did the Two have that function?  As for the sub, it's one of the reasons why I bought this amp!  As the other way would have been to run speaker wires down to the sub and back up to the speakers. 

To me having the Mid/high detail as good if not dare I say better than a 2024 amp is a win in my book and a keeper.  :)  As I have said before it is a great sounding amp.  I am certainly not disappointed.

bardamu

« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2014, 02:03 pm »
Hello,
Choosing to use the sub out and filtering the main speakers with 80 hertz/ 6db will change the big cap to just a small 100nf. Usually a 2200nf will be more difficult to make than a smaller one, it will be more expensive as well. Your virtue will have an easier life. I still have some stock of russian 200 volts teflon. Have the 600 volts too but they are probably difficult to fit. Can send you a pair of 200 volts or look for them on ebay.
Still didn't use them. The russian paper in oil could be nice too depending on how you like your sound to be. The oily ones are told to be a more mellow.
Still enjoying the sound of the battery changement. And soon a second SVS woofer will come so it might take some time before i go cap rolling.
Sincere greetings, Edward

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2014, 11:45 pm »
These ones are the right size:

http://www.parts-express.com/audiocap-ppt-theta-010uf-600v-film-foil-capacitor--027-710

There was a frequency chart in the old ONE.2 manual.

For 80Hz high pass use 0.1uf
 For 100Hz high pass use 0.082uf
 For 120Hz high pass use 0.068uf
 For 160Hz high pass use 0.05uf

Seth

Rocket

« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2014, 10:53 am »
Hi Guys,

Well I finally have my family room back together after finishing our renovations in this room.  These are the speakers that I always intended to use with the Virtue One.3, iMod (Red Wine Audio) and Nuforce s9 combination.  I haven't listened to these speakers in 2 channel system since 2008 when they were replaced by my Salk Sound HT2's.  I have to say the combination is very good and whilst I'm sitting here listening to the system I keep thinking I am way too fussy as the sound is very good.  I've been playing INXS Greatest Hits which is a good recording and some other audiophile music.

Cheers Rod

ps.  The nuforce s9's originally recommended retail price was $5500US and the iMod cost about $700US.  The Virtue One.3 is the cheapest component in the system and I think it doesn't do anything wrong at all.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2014, 12:43 am by Rocket »

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2014, 03:34 pm »
Cool system!

bardamu

« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2014, 03:50 pm »
Hello,
But his tv ( colourwise) sucks compared to my panasonic plasma.
At least you did get yourself a nice little amp.
Sincere greetings, edward

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2014, 03:53 pm »
Ouch, LOL.  Would you really trust a photo of the screen though?

srb

« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2014, 04:02 pm »
Ouch, LOL.  Would you really trust a photo of the screen though?

Yeah, the same way you would trust an audition of speakers from a YouTube video played back on your present speakers!  (No kidding, I've read posts of those making assumptions/decisions based on that right here on Audiocircle!)

Steve

bardamu

« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2014, 04:46 pm »
Hello,
I know picures of tv screen always turn out bad. So better switch it off.
Usually i will try to find out what other kind of gear someone is using to see if his judgement could be trusted. Sometimes people rave about something because they know it will soon end up on ebay.
I did make/buy my speakers july 1991. I like to keep my gear long time. If you change it to much you will end up bankrupt. Make some changes now and then and spend your money on music and films. And try to convince other people to do the same. I mean after they dumped their big brand name gear in the garbage can.
Sincere greetings, edward

Rocket

« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2014, 10:27 am »
Hi Guys,

I should have taken a photo when it was an action shot of Australian Rules Football and then you would have seen how good this television is  :icon_lol:.

Anyway pretty happy with this combination.

Regards Rod