Best Resolution Setting For Acoustic Art

Don_S

Best Resolution Setting For Acoustic Art
« on: 5 May 2018, 07:30 pm »
I am about to leave for a bucket-list trip.  If the wind doesn't blow too hard and I don't shake too much I hope to get pictures suitable for enlarging to 2'x4' acoustic panels.

What camera setting would be best?  Nikon Coolpix L830

Options:  16x9 4608x2592 (12M)
                  4608x3456 (16M)
                   4608*x3456* (16M)  Not sure what the * means

I have 24MB of SD card storage. How frugal do I need to be?  I can reduce the resolution when I am in an area that is not a "contender" to grace my walls. Probably 10 of the trip days will be in areas with potential.

Thank you for any help.

Photon46

Re: Best Resolution Setting For Acoustic Art
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2018, 11:04 pm »
If you want to enlarge to 2' x 4' I'd use the largest file size. A 16.1 mp file enlarged to 24" x 48" only works out to somewhere around 60-70 dots per inch resolution before upscaling. SD cards are cheap, buy a couple extra and take them with you. They can malfunction occasionally, so I'd NEVER leave on an important photo trip with out at least one spare backup card.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2018, 02:32 am »

Options:  16x9 4608x2592 (12M)
                  4608x3456 (16M)
                   4608*x3456* (16M)  Not sure what the * means

The higher the image mode setting, the larger the size at which the images can be printed, and the lower the compression ration, the higher the quality of the images but ... the number of images that can be saved is reduced.

The 4608*x3456* (16M)  has a compression ratio of 1:4.
The other 4608x3456 (16M) - without the * - is the default setting and has a compression ratio of 1:8.

So ... the 4608*x3456* (16M) image mode setting allows for large prints and has a lower compression ration that allows for a higher quality of image. You just can’t save as many images to the card with this setting before having to replace the card.

Also, remember to bring extra batteries. A lot of extra batteries. And have fun. Pics or it didn’t happen.

Cheers,
Lester

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2018, 03:18 pm »
ALWAYS carry multiple SD cards and batteries.
I've had an SD card fail on me, and lost most of a family vacations worth of digital memories. What I do now is use a new SD card each day, so at the most I'll only lose one day worth, not the entire vacation. Since this is a "bucket list" occasion, I can't stress that enough.

Also, my Nikon has the ability to capture an image, but store it as two different file types. One is "FINE" (or "ULTRA", I can't recall), but a secondary image stored in RAW format. That might make things easier for the person you're sending the photos to. I've been told that images stored in RAW are easier to post process. Obviously, that takes up even more space, but like has been said, SD cards are cheap.

Even though I didn't address your question, I hope that helps.
Bob

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2018, 03:30 pm »
Thanks to all for clarification. First, I picked up another SD card this morning. I now have 4 cards. Good tip to use them on different days and not fill up one card first.

Before someone had told me the 16x9 was best for 2x4 enlargement.  That did not entirely convince me since it was only 12M vs 16M.

Good to know the 4698*x3456* is the setting I want. Will that be good enough?  It is the best I have available but don't want to spend a lot of money and be disappointed with the acoustic panels.

Photon46

« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2018, 10:55 pm »
As to whether a 16.1 meg file is "good enough," that can be a complicated question. Bigger is always better up to a point. I've never worked with flat bed photo printing on acoustic panels but I have used that process on smooth plastic and found that the print shop could upscale the image size effectively beyond the file size I provided. Part of the question "is it good enough" revolves around your viewing distance from the panel and as well as how much resolution the fabric surface can support ( fabric just can't give you the same sharpness that a smooth paper or plastic surface can.) Here's a link the image requirement page that provided the most info I could find about panel printing. I would call whatever business you plan to buy from and discuss their specific image requirements with them before committing.

https://www.acoustimac.com/acousticart/acousticart-custom-1