Need help, running out of SSD space

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Need help, running out of SSD space
« on: 30 Apr 2016, 01:51 pm »
I'm a computer caveman.

A friend came over to help install Amarra (which was easy, but now it's glitching with noise, requiring frequent reboots, wonder if it's El Capitan related) but on to my immediate problem:

My friend then started playing around with iTunes and saw 123 compulations.  He found a "de-compulate" button and it split every album apart by artist, creating hundreds of fragmented albums (from compulation and "regular" albums).  So I've been working all week to restore order to my library.  While doing this I got a warning that my SSD is nearly full.  I know enough to check it's status and sure enough it's nearly full and showing 69 GB taken up by "other".  I've also been adding missing artwork as I go along but can't believe that takes up that much memory.  My guess is that it's trying to store the scrambled and the fixed library.  Anyway do you access this "other" and hopefully safely clean it out?

TIA

avta

Re: Need help, running out of SSD space
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2016, 02:10 pm »
I have never heard of the word " compulate " before. Are you sure that's the word? iTunes is not always the most user friendly program. If you think you have file problems you might try running the First Aid function in Disk Utility initially. You might also use the Playlist function in Amarra rather than using iTunes as a file manager. Select the folder(s) where your music files are and see what happens. If you can't get things straightened out contact Amara Support. I have found them to be very helpful.

JLM

« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2016, 02:25 pm »
Oops you're right regarding spelling of compilations, thanks.

Can't find "disk utility" but emptying trash from Finder eliminated most of the "other".

The Amarra issue is a separate problem.  I've got it turned off for now.

avta

« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2016, 02:32 pm »
Mac HD>Applications>Utilities>Disc Utility

JLM

« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2016, 03:43 pm »
Remember I'm a computer caveman.  How do I find "Mac HD"?

Blackmore

« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2016, 04:05 pm »
Click the "Launchpad" icon on the dock.  The Utilities will be inside "Other" in the pop up window.

avta

« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2016, 07:00 pm »
If you look around your desktop ( your screen ) you should see an icon labeled " Mac HD "

Bemopti123

« Reply #7 on: 30 Apr 2016, 07:04 pm »
If you look around your desktop ( your screen ) you should see an icon labeled " Mac HD "

I think in the latest El Capitan build, they hid the HD from view.

avta

« Reply #8 on: 30 Apr 2016, 07:07 pm »
I don't think that's a default setting.

Blackmore

« Reply #9 on: 30 Apr 2016, 07:17 pm »
Also in the Finder across the top of the screen you can use the "Go" button to get to Utilities.  Shift-Command-U also works.

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 1 May 2016, 03:38 am »
Open Finder. Under the Finder menu, click Preferences. Under  'General', make sure 'Hard Disks' is checked under 'Show these items on the desktop' and you will always have a shortcut to 'Macintosh HD' there. Do the same under 'Sidebar' and it will be directly accessible from any Finder window too.

smk

• Life's a bummer, then you pay taxes.
« Reply #11 on: 3 Jul 2016, 04:21 pm »
If you're still getting full Mac SSD problems, you might augment with a new & larger external SSD/HD or just plain get a new internal SSD/HD. That brings up the installation problem for internal SSD/HD if computer neophyte.

It sounds like you may have duplicate files/folders on computer. Erase duplicate files/folders which should create extra ROM space.

JLM

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jul 2016, 09:21 pm »
Sorry for not following up on this thread. 

Emptied the trash and while straightening out the iTunes disaster deleted music I have little love for.  (Originally ripped every bit of music in the house.)  Don't worry, have the full library on my iMac.  So now have 41 GB of free space and see Tidal in the near future anyway. 

BTW machine is a general use computer (23 GB of apps) but largely used for music (159 GB of ALAC files), so almost no movies, photos, backups.  Still have 24 GB of "other".

smk

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jul 2016, 11:01 pm »
Doubt if El Capitan related. If it were, there would be more hell-raising on AC & other websites. I upgraded about 6 months ago & it was seamless.

Your best bet may be to post at Apple Communities (https://discussions.apple.com/). Someone there who is much more computer literate than I will probably be able to help you. BTW: You might just be able to look at other answers for similar Q&A.

JLM

« Reply #14 on: 3 Jul 2016, 11:25 pm »
Would like to know what "other" is that's taking up 24 GB of my 249 GB of SSD space.  But not critical (for now).

Amarra hasn't worked since updating El Capitan (reportedly Amarra is slow to keep up with updates).   My friend says he's found a simple fix.  Was hesitant to update but it's a general purpose machine so felt compelled to do so.  Damn Apple, no better than MS with OS updates now without Jobs. 

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #15 on: 4 Jul 2016, 12:27 am »
Is the "other" you are talking about actually filled with data or is it just marked as unusable?  If it is just a small area of unusable space, 24GB on a 249GB SSD sounds about right for the overhead space needed to keep the drive running optimally.  If I remember right, 10-15% is the magic number on SSDs for miscellaneous drive-level system functionality.  Without that cushion of free space things could slow down to a stop because the drive runs out of room to temporarily shift stuff around in the process of it doing its thing.

JLM

« Reply #16 on: 4 Jul 2016, 01:44 am »
Thanks JJ. 

I also just read that Apple computer hard drives don't need to be defragged.  Maybe this phenom relates to that.

smk

« Reply #17 on: 4 Jul 2016, 02:03 pm »
As far as I know Apple HD needs "defragging" on occasion like any other HD. However, Apple "defrags" in background when it does update. But this may not be entirely true. YMMV. SSD should minimize time delay. At least it isn't constantly hitting HD for small chunks of data which slows data transfer.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #18 on: 4 Jul 2016, 05:13 pm »
JLM, have you considered upgrading your SSD? I recently installed a 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD into a new Win 10 laptop. The included Samsung migration software was (clearly) idiot proof, and beyond easy to use. Online video tutorials showing how to swap drives made the job a walk in the park; I never once felt like I didn't know exactly what I was doing.

The Samsung Evo is true 500 MB by 500 MB read and write, and has a great warranty of five years. The Samsung 850 Pro comes with a 10 year warranty, but I can't see paying the current price given the Evo's specs.

Files aren't getting any smaller, and the upgrade is really very easy. If you go this route, don't forget you will need a USB to SATA cable if you don't already have one. You may also need a disk mounting kit if the Samsung is going into a desktop. Lastly, the Evo seems to be well reviewed by the Mac folks, also.

Have fun,

Jerry

JLM

« Reply #19 on: 5 Jul 2016, 10:12 am »
Jerry, don't know how your experience of swapping out a SSD on a Windows machine relates to my MacBook Air, but for now my problem is solved.  And I don't consider any computer problem as being "fun".

Thanks.