Trickedout new Mac mini any benefit?

stump4545

Trickedout new Mac mini any benefit?
« on: 15 Jul 2015, 06:53 pm »
Is there any sonic benefit to a new tricked out Mac Mini like for ex: http://www.coreaudiotechnology.com/products/music-servers/mac-mini-music-server/

Looks cool but not sure if all snake oil as I see most mini users rocking a standard Mac Mini with maybe a SSD drive and that's it.

thanks

paul79

• Industry Participant
Re: Trickedout new Mac mini any benefit?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2015, 07:01 pm »
I'd get one, load it with at least 8g ram, put a SSD in it, store music on a NAS. Then I would contact Dave at PI Audio for a battery solution for powering it. He can help you with setup to make optimal as well.

Plug ONLY the DAC into the USB. Get a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse to keep the remaining USB Ports open.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2015, 11:09 pm »
I'd look hard at a Auralec Aries before spending that kind of money on a Mini.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2015, 11:56 pm »
That's a great way to go!!! Why didn't I think of that....

stump4545

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2015, 07:04 pm »
what does the Auralec Aries do exactly?

Does it just stream the music from my say Apple Imac which would sit in another room?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2015, 12:12 pm »
Aries is a dedicated network player and streamer and connects wirelessly, by ethernet, by AirPlay, or by USB.  Output is via USB, AES, coax, or optical to your DAC.  Superior built-in features, support, sound quality, and upgradability/future proofing.  Control is through iPad (no monitor/keyboard/mouse required).  Of course it supports all music formats.  As a newer and throughly modern product it is being supported with constant firmware updates.

wgscott

« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2015, 09:33 pm »
Trick it out by buying it with as much memory as possible, and possibly an SSD internal drive.

The rest is Tomfoolery.

jparkhur

« Reply #7 on: 13 Aug 2015, 10:10 pm »
Just buy memory and add it yourself.  In the bottom plate. Easy.  Other options are a ssd drive and external power supply have lowered the noise floor.  I have plugged in an Audioquest jitter bug and gotten noticeable results off the usb. 

jparkhur

« Reply #8 on: 13 Aug 2015, 10:12 pm »

kazsud

« Reply #9 on: 15 Aug 2015, 08:52 pm »
Is there any sonic benefit to a new tricked out Mac Mini like for ex: http://www.coreaudiotechnology.com/products/music-servers/mac-mini-music-server/

Looks cool but not sure if all snake oil as I see most mini users rocking a standard Mac Mini with maybe a SSD drive and that's it.

thanks

SSD
Optical out. Invites less noise than usb
Go to ikea and buy a butcher block to put it on or some cheap hockey pucks from a sporting goods store.
Enjoy