Best USB cable for the buck

sumoking

Best USB cable for the buck
« on: 13 Jan 2019, 09:25 pm »
I have only tried a couple USB cables and the WireWorld cable Starlight 7 USB is what I am using. Cost ~$85.

For those that have tried a few what's the best USB cable and how significant did it improve the sound on your system?

Thank you.
SumoKing

nature boy

Re: Best USB cable for the buck
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2019, 11:18 pm »
I compared 6 highly regarded USB cables. Ended up selecting Triode Wire Labs Discrete USB cable. Accurate, beautiful tonality, and no digital artifacts in my system. No brainer, head and shoulders better sounding as compared with the other cables. Pete is also great to deal with.

NB

sumoking

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2019, 11:43 pm »
I compared 6 highly regarded USB cables. Ended up selecting Triode Wire Labs Discrete USB cable. Accurate, beautiful tonality, and no digital artifacts in my system. No brainer, head and shoulders better sounding as compared with the other cables. Pete is also great to deal with.

NB

Could you mention what cables you listened to and their price point?
Many thanks.

adydula

• Restricted

sumoking

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2019, 11:56 pm »
Appreciate the post. Can you ground why these are good cables for
$20 ? What did you compare them with ?
It’s nice that they are cheap, but unless yes better than what I have no reason to
Change.
Thanks again

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2019, 12:33 am »
Usb cables can sound different in different systems.  We did a shoot out of cables ranging from $45 to $600.  In my system the cables all sounded different than in a friends.  The 2 $600 cables were my friends and one ( a Lightspeed) sounded unbearably  bright in my system but not in his.  If you want a well regarded usb cable, the Wire World Platinum is awesome sounding but it is $600.  I use a Starlight 7 Red and in my system it sounds veiled or muddy when compared to the Platinum.  I also use an Uptone Regen and it removed the muddiness from the cable but YMMV.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it is a crap shoot when it comes to usb cables.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2019, 02:14 am »
http://www.schiit.com/products/pyst-cables

$20.

That's what Schiit buys from Straight Wire.

Did a 9 USB comparison three years back and picked Straight Wire, but Voodoo Bus (at 3 times the price) was a close 2nd.  But bang for the buck?  Go with Blue Jean Cable.

RDavidson

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2019, 02:29 am »
I bought a Pangea Premier USB SE recently. It's my first better USB cable. I was using a Belkin Gold which is kind of the "standard" USB to start with. The Pangea is definitely more defined and cleaner, but I'd recommend the Belkin as a starting point. It is well reviewed and will serve as a perfect low cost reference.

sumoking

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jan 2019, 03:18 am »
That's what Schiit buys from Straight Wire.

Did a 9 USB comparison three years back and picked Straight Wire, but Voodoo Bus (at 3 times the price) was a close 2nd.  But bang for the buck?  Go with Blue Jean Cable.

Thank you.

Maybe thinking more like what can I get for $200-$300  that is almost as good as the $1-2K cable.  Not necessary the $20 cable that sounds great but in the mid range level of sound quality.
Hope this helps.

Anyone hear the Curious cable vs. Wireworld Platinum?

sumoking

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jan 2019, 03:19 am »
Usb cables can sound different in different systems.  We did a shoot out of cables ranging from $45 to $600.  In my system the cables all sounded different than in a friends.  The 2 $600 cables were my friends and one ( a Lightspeed) sounded unbearably  bright in my system but not in his.  If you want a well regarded usb cable, the Wire World Platinum is awesome sounding but it is $600.  I use a Starlight 7 Red and in my system it sounds veiled or muddy when compared to the Platinum.  I also use an Uptone Regen and it removed the muddiness from the cable but YMMV.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it is a crap shoot when it comes to usb cables.

Thank you this is good info...
Appreciated.

avta

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jan 2019, 04:54 am »

Tubeburner

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jan 2019, 03:01 pm »
Acoustic BBQ usb beat out usb cables up to $500. I have bought and sold all the namebrand cables and the Acoustic BBQ killed them. You can find them on Audiogon under Grannyring. Bill Dion has done extensive mods on gear and is retired, so he makes cables and doesn't charge a lot. It's all about the sound for Bill. I believe he has a trial period, but check with him. Highly recommended.

Samoyed

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jan 2019, 03:06 pm »
His Dueland speaker cables sound great! The

WGH

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jan 2019, 05:20 pm »

Maybe thinking more like what can I get for $200-$300  that is almost as good as the $1-2K cable. 

The JMaxwell USB, http://www.jmaxwellusb.com/, is in that price range, best sounding USB I have ever tried. I used the Schiit USB for years and the JMaxwell is clearly better One weekend I was troubleshooting my music server and switched USB cables. Once everything was working again the music still didn't sound right, it was flat with attenuated bass, then I remembered the Schiit was still in the loop, after replacing the USB with the JMaxwell the magic was back. That was a totally blind test and I passed.

I would definitely try many USB cables, every system is different. I demoed the Danacable TruStream USB ($895.00) for 10 days and it was not a good match for my system so price is not a guarantee of synergy. I did a review almost 3 years ago:

"The TruStream USB is well made with woven shimmering graphite colored jacket that is very flexible, it reminds me of a snake. I would describe the sound as laid back, with a rear of hall perspective. Highs are ever so slightly attenuated and bass is accented resulting in a warm rounded sound. Smooth too, with a refined presentation with no particular frequency given prominence.

"A little too smooth in my system. The first impressions most people have of Raal tweeters are they sound laid back but they are very clear. The Straightwire Encore 2 interconnects also effect my sound because I have heard better my system (a plug for ZenWave Audio D3’s here) so any cable that attenuates the highs make the sound a bit dull and unexciting, highs lose their shimmer and delicacy along with the bite some instruments naturally have, the leading edge of attacks are also diminished resulting in a decrease of the jump factor.

"The center image is also more diffuse with a wider soundstage, similar to sitting farther back in a concert. A friend borrowed the TruStream USB and it worked very well with the Nola KO speakers that already have a big soundstage because of their open back design.

"We compared the TruStream USB to a Nobility USB, Supra USB, Straightwire USB-Link, and a Curious Cable. Three different systems yielded three different preferences: I am sticking with the Straightwire, Ben likes the Curious Cable in his system, and Ken thinks the TruStream USB sounds the best at his house.

"In a bright, analytical or edgy digital system the Danacable TruStream USB will bring that certain magic. Classical music lovers will also love this cable. We played Fanfare for the Common Man by Copeland at lifelike levels and it sounded jaw dropping so if you listen to music real loud then the TruStream USB is the cable for you.

"It appears there is no one cable that is perfect for everyone, there are so many variables that the only sure way to audio bliss is to try out as may cables as you can. You will probably be as surprised as we all were at the results."

Ask Ken at JMaxwell what he remembers about the Curious Cable.

Wayne

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #14 on: 14 Jan 2019, 08:23 pm »
Phasure Lush2 USB, I've tried a lot of them, for my system, my taste, this cable does it for me.
 So much so I also ordered their Ethernet  ET^2 cable. Fantastic in my system,

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 14 Jan 2019, 09:29 pm »
After trying a dozen or more USB cables...the $20 cable from Schitt, is as good as any of the others that I have tried.
So to me there is no need to spend anymore money on a high dollar cable for a sonic difference IMO.

Many cable were physically made better, in that the connections and connectors were awesome to behold as well
as the girth of the wire assemblies...

But I have elected to spend my hard earned retirement bucks on things that really matter to me...like new headphones!!!

I fully respect everyones right to try and buy anything in this neat hobby, but I had to put my two cents in here....

Alex
:>)

Note the $20 cable is made very well...and sounds "fantastic" in my systems!! or should I say I dont hear it at all!!

jMelvin

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jan 2019, 03:28 pm »
While not exactly a cable the UpTone USPCB A>B Adapter is cheap ($35) and sounds better than various USB cables I have on hand (i.e., AQ Carbon, Black Cat Silverstar, iFi Gemini, Blue Jeans, etc.). Being a short adapter, it's useless if you need a traditional cable but, if not, it's a true bang-for-the-buck little gizmo. I use it between a microRendu and Bel Canto mLink.

witchdoctor

« Reply #17 on: 29 Jan 2019, 04:13 pm »
If you must use a USB cable I like Mapleshade. I was reading a post from someone who switched from a computer to a dedicated streamer so I followed the recommendation. WOW, great suggestion, SQ is great, convenience and flexibility. In my HT I use a Sony UHPH1 Universal player that has about 50 diiferent apps for streaming including PLEX and Spotify. In my desktop system I use the Bluesound Node. They both have DLNA to stream any files I want from files stored on the network.
The good news is you can probably find either of these products for less than that $600 cable and ditch USB altogether.

witchdoctor

« Reply #18 on: 29 Jan 2019, 04:19 pm »
Another USB alternative is to go wireless, you can get a Klipsch Gate for $25 from Amazon and it will do hirez. Check out the review from Quboz. Asa part of the Play-Fi ecosytem it has an app for your PC that allows you to stream pretty much anything to anywhere:

https://www.qobuz.com/GB-en/info/Hi-Fi/Bancs-d-essai/Klipsch-Gate-a-streamer-with-great179353

A_shah

« Reply #19 on: 30 Jan 2019, 05:31 am »
After trying a dozen or more USB cables...the $20 cable from Schitt, is as good as any of the others that I have tried.
So to me there is no need to spend anymore money on a high dollar cable for a sonic difference IMO.

Many cable were physically made better, in that the connections and connectors were awesome to behold as well
as the girth of the wire assemblies...

But I have elected to spend my hard earned retirement bucks on things that really matter to me...like new headphones!!!

I fully respect everyones right to try and buy anything in this neat hobby, but I had to put my two cents in here....

Alex
:>)

Note the $20 cable is made very well...and sounds "fantastic" in my systems!! or should I say I dont hear it at all!!

Yes this Schiit  $ 20.00 is as good as any USB cable as it is a "digital" cable, I  also like Pangea Silver plated cable and audioengine USB  cable.  I do be believe in expensive IC and speaker cables but when it comes to digital cables prefer reasonable priced cables with good geometry and shielding and construction  :popcorn:

Asghar