3B SST2, 4B SST2 and 7B SST2

mitcho

3B SST2, 4B SST2 and 7B SST2
« on: 6 Jun 2009, 09:10 pm »
Now that I have converted to the BP26 and BDA-1, I am thinking of taking advantage of the balanced circuits.

Is there an appreciable difference between the three models in sonics?   I would assume the 7B's would have more of the trickle down technology of the 28's than the 3B or 4B.

Would there be a larger difference between the 4B vs 7B rather than the 3B to 4B?  and/ or would the 3B be very similar to the 4B other than power handling?

thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: 3B SST2, 4B SST2 and 7B SST2
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2009, 09:50 pm »
Now that I have converted to the BP26 and BDA-1, I am thinking of taking advantage of the balanced circuits.

Is there an appreciable difference between the three models in sonics?   I would assume the 7B's would have more of the trickle down technology of the 28's than the 3B or 4B.

Would there be a larger difference between the 4B vs 7B rather than the 3B to 4B?  and/ or would the 3B be very similar to the 4B other than power handling?

thanks

Hi mitcho,

Correct the 28B the 14B and the 7B SQ amplifiers are what is referred too as 'fully balanced' meaning there are separate positive and negative amplifier circuits throughout the amplifier.  So most of the advancements in the SQ Series was with these 3 amps. 

So yes in answer to your question there is a larger difference between the 7B and the 4B than between the 4B and the 3B.

james

mitcho

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2009, 10:53 pm »
thankyou for the information.   Will look over the various amps.

Gojo

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2009, 11:42 pm »
Auditoned a 3BSSt in June; bought a 4B sst in July (it turned out to be one of the first squared); then upgraded to a 3 x7Bs sst SQ in April of this year. Quite the upgrade going to 7B.  Both the 4B and 7B were/are  run thru a Torus 20 unbalanced (with a single 20 amp breaker).  My only regret is not having bought the 7Bs from the outset.  If I could afford the 28Bs I would do that. 7Bs have much more bottom end.  Total control of the music at all volumes!  Balanced tonal if I may say.   Cheap Naxos, Decca, and Phillips Classical CDs for example approach the live concert experience! I could go on, but this is my first post.

Hope that helps. Many thanks to all the posters.  The input has been invaluable.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2009, 01:07 am »
Yeah, that's my next move...the 7Bs. Great amps to say the least.

mitcho

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jun 2009, 01:09 am »
Auditoned a 3BSSt in June; bought a 4B sst in July (it turned out to be one of the first squared); then upgraded to a 3 x7Bs sst SQ in April of this year. Quite the upgrade going to 7B.  Both the 4B and 7B were/are  run thru a Torus 20 unbalanced (with a single 20 amp breaker).  My only regret is not having bought the 7Bs from the outset.  If I could afford the 28Bs I would do that. 7Bs have much more bottom end.  Total control of the music at all volumes!  Balanced tonal if I may say.   Cheap Naxos, Decca, and Phillips Classical CDs for example approach the live concert experience! I could go on, but this is my first post.

Hope that helps. Many thanks to all the posters.  The input has been invaluable.

thanks for the input.   what I was expecting after doing some reading.   Will see  .   my preference after reading is the 7B....will have to see what the cost is.   Since I would be replacing a very good Class A amp, I am sure I should go up the line a bit.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2009, 01:43 am »
Definitely go for the 7B, imo.

b5pt9

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jun 2009, 01:33 pm »
Upgrading 4BSST to 14BSST really solidified bottom end of PMC IB1's

mitcho

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jun 2009, 05:30 am »
not sure if I will benefit with the extra power.   My speakers are fairly easy to drive.   Have a pair of   Tetra 406 speakers.    89 db 8 ohm nominal and minimum impedance.   Sold my amplifier in a couple of hours today, so have to decide which way to go.  It was an easier choice with the preamp.

Gojo

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2009, 12:05 am »
At the risk of twisting arms and I will stop after this reply, my understanding is all speakers regardless of power and sensitivity rating will always benefit from more power.  I had read ratios of 3 to 1 to 5 to 1 amp power to speaker power rating.  Back in March, there was quite the discussion about this confirming, I thought what I had read/heard earlier (go to the bottom of the page of link)

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=65723.0

My only last comment about the upgrade from the 4bs to the 7bs is that is not an in-your-face loud with the 7bs.  In fact at higher volumes it doesn't necessarily appear louder but "fuller" over all frequencies.

I own Paradigm Studio 60s which also an 8 ohm speaker with a similiar sensitivity.  If you could demo each amp, this discussion would be a non issue.  I bought the 7Bs on spec and haven't looked back. It's easy to become a cheerleader, I realize.  Helpful might be to know your expectations.  I had the same question about the 4B and 7Bs driving IB2s (my next purchase) so I phoned PMC USA ie qualitatively how would the speakers sound driven by each amp at different volumes.  I think I now know.

Best of Luck

mitcho

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jun 2009, 01:52 am »
At the risk of twisting arms and I will stop after this reply, my understanding is all speakers regardless of power and sensitivity rating will always benefit from more power.  I had read ratios of 3 to 1 to 5 to 1 amp power to speaker power rating.  Back in March, there was quite the discussion about this confirming, I thought what I had read/heard earlier (go to the bottom of the page of link)

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=65723.0

My only last comment about the upgrade from the 4bs to the 7bs is that is not an in-your-face loud with the 7bs.  In fact at higher volumes it doesn't necessarily appear louder but "fuller" over all frequencies.

I own Paradigm Studio 60s which also an 8 ohm speaker with a similiar sensitivity.  If you could demo each amp, this discussion would be a non issue.  I bought the 7Bs on spec and haven't looked back. It's easy to become a cheerleader, I realize.  Helpful might be to know your expectations.  I had the same question about the 4B and 7Bs driving IB2s (my next purchase) so I phoned PMC USA ie qualitatively how would the speakers sound driven by each amp at different volumes.  I think I now know.

Best of Luck

I took your advice (and others) and purchased 7B's today.   The dealer ordered them.  If they are anything like what I have read about the 28's, they should be excellent.  James sold me when he indicated the 7B's got most of the technology that was developed with the 28's.

looking forward to them.