4BSSTsq Help

Michael 8

4BSSTsq Help
« on: 30 May 2009, 12:27 am »
After some listening today, I'm disappointed.  While many good things are noted, there is a tendency to treble harshness on many CDs.  I didn't notice any treble harshness with my previous amp in this system.  I replaced a Musical Fidelity A5 with this new Bryston.  Ok, I've only used it a few hours, but I don't remember that Bryston amps (2 of which I've owned in the past) needed a long break in period.

I am using a Rega Saturn CD player, Musical Fidelity A3CR Preamp and Silver Audio Silver Bullet ICs with AudioQuest speaker wires to PSB strat gold i's. All of the above are well broken in.

I looked up the input impedance on the A5 and it is 100K.  The A3CR preamp booklet does not list the output impedance.  Am I facing incompatibility issues here? What is an inexpensive solution as I paid more than my budget would ordinarily allow.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: 4BSSTsq Help
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2009, 01:37 am »
After some listening today, I'm disappointed.  While many good things are noted, there is a tendency to treble harshness on many CDs.  I didn't notice any treble harshness with my previous amp in this system.  I replaced a Musical Fidelity A5 with this new Bryston.  Ok, I've only used it a few hours, but I don't remember that Bryston amps (2 of which I've owned in the past) needed a long break in period.

I am using a Rega Saturn CD player, Musical Fidelity A3CR Preamp and Silver Audio Silver Bullet ICs with AudioQuest speaker wires to PSB strat gold i's. All of the above are well broken in.

I looked up the input impedance on the A5 and it is 100K.  The A3CR preamp booklet does not list the output impedance.  Am I facing incompatibility issues here? What is an inexpensive solution as I paid more than my budget would ordinarily allow.

Hi Michael,

It's always difficult when you make a major change in your system as usually you have spent countless hours dialing it in to sound a specific way. Also sometimes the 'change' itself can at first be unsettling as you have become acclimatized and accustom to the way your current system has performed up until the change.

All I can tell you is the 4B SST SQ is one of the most 'transparent' amplifiers we have ever built and sometimes that transparency can create a re-think of the other components in your system. 

The amp will also get smoother and more open as it matures.

james

werd

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2009, 02:24 am »
Hi

I have never really much liked silver ic's or pretty much silver anything in audio gear. I am assuming those IC's have some type of silver component to it. Try and outfit with copper signal cables. I am sure that will smooth out the highs. Silver ic's always can never be taken for granted with new gear as they dont always sound good. just my 2cents.

1ZIP

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2009, 03:43 am »
I'd give it some time to burn in.  I think most owners will tell you that the 100 hrs the factory puts on them is just a start.  But the amp is ruthless when it comes to revealing a weakness in the rest of the system.  But the sound is worth the wait as is any necessary tweaking of components. 

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2009, 06:19 am »
Could there be a mismatch between the amp and the preamp?

Michael 8

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2009, 03:34 pm »
Hi

I have never really much liked silver ic's or pretty much silver anything in audio gear. I am assuming those IC's have some type of silver component to it. Try and outfit with copper signal cables. I am sure that will smooth out the highs. Silver ic's always can never be taken for granted with new gear as they dont always sound good. just my 2cents.

Thanks.  These interconnects have been in use for about ten years.  Couldn't hurt to try some others.

Michael 8

« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2009, 03:37 pm »

Thanks.  I was wondering about that.  I have some other preamps I can try.  Have to get new tubes for one of them.  Too bad that they only have single ended outputs.

Michael 8

« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2009, 03:53 pm »
I'd give it some time to burn in.  I think most owners will tell you that the 100 hrs the factory puts on them is just a start.  But the amp is ruthless when it comes to revealing a weakness in the rest of the system.  But the sound is worth the wait as is any necessary tweaking of components.

Thanks.  I guess there is a constant conflict between transparency and listenability.  I have a large collection which includes older recordings.  I believe there is as much or more variability in recording quality as there is in quality of audio equipment.  Trying to assemble a system that will do justice to the better recordings while still allowing enjoyment of the shoddier ones is not an easy task.

Michael 8

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2009, 04:02 pm »

Hi Michael,

It's always difficult when you make a major change in your system as usually you have spent countless hours dialing it in to sound a specific way. Also sometimes the 'change' itself can at first be unsettling as you have become acclimatized and accustom to the way your current system has performed up until the change.

All I can tell you is the 4B SST SQ is one of the most 'transparent' amplifiers we have ever built and sometimes that transparency can create a re-think of the other components in your system. 

james

Thanks. Yes,  I forgot that sometimes other adjustments need to be made. Also, it is comforting to know that the amp will change a bit.  Most other amps I've owned have taken a bit of use before sounding their best.

rob80b

« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2009, 08:20 pm »
Hi Michael,

Just to let you know I had a similiar expience going from a 3BST to the 4BSST, after a day or two of letting the amp bed in there was no going back to the ST.
Although the amps are put through thier paces at Bryston they still seem to need a few days to make themselves at home

Robert

werd

« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2009, 08:26 pm »

Hello
I doubt  its the pre thats the prob. Thats a nice pre, an interesting tidbit about the volume controls on MFs. The volume knobs were designed to look like the gas caps off a late 60s Aston Martin.(think it was an Aston Martin).

Robert D

« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2009, 10:03 pm »
Take a look at this Review back from 2002.... Seems to be a Good Combo A3CR Preamplifier, with Bryston.

Robert

Review: Musical Fidelity A3CR Preamplifier
I've paired the MF A3cr Pre with a Bryston 4bst to drive maggie IIIA's and it works wonders. The sound stage is deep and broad, and the highs are detailed but warm. After a 2,500 mile move, I left my LP's in Nashville, so I don't use the phono option; just CD's (Arcam Alpha 9). (By the way, I wonder if the phono stage is all that really keeps this thing from being class "A"?) I too found that a PS Audio power cord helped. Overall, a great component, one I like a good deal more thanits predecessors in my system: Bryston BP-20, Sonic Frontiers SFL-1, and the Quicksilver line stage.

Robert D

« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2009, 10:10 pm »
Michael 8 ,

Take a look at the back of your 4BSST2,  Make sure everything is correct ,,, The gain settings.
Once every thing is fine leave it on. And enjoy  !!!

I have Qty 2 4BSST2 they are left on 24/7..... My Speakers just love the company. Leave the Volume on low.

Robert

gtaphile

« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2009, 10:35 pm »

I had a similar experience when I changed from a 6BSST to pair of 7BSSTsq.

The 6B worked well when sharing a 15A circuit. The 7B sounded somewhat harsh and when I provided each amp it's own circuit everything settled down. You may want to check the power delivery. 

Robert D

« Reply #14 on: 30 May 2009, 10:57 pm »
Michael 8 , What type of AudioQuest speaker wires are you using ?????

I'm using Type 8 , Long runs at this time until I do my renovations

Robert

Michael 8

« Reply #15 on: 31 May 2009, 03:33 pm »

Hi Michael,

james

James, 
I posted too soon.  The amp was much better yesterday.

I noticed that there was a slight click out of the right channel a few seconds after the amp was turned off.  I checked in back and the right channel IC was touching the right channel speaker wire.  After separating the wires, I turned everything on and ok.  No click on turn off.

Not sure why this happened, but I'll be more careful about dressing the wires.

Michael

Michael 8

« Reply #16 on: 31 May 2009, 03:43 pm »
Michael 8 , What type of AudioQuest speaker wires are you using ?????

I'm using Type 8 , Long runs at this time until I do my renovations

Robert

Robert, I'm sorry, I don't remember.  They were definitely not really expensive.  Maybe $150 tops?

Michael

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #17 on: 31 May 2009, 10:02 pm »

Hello
I doubt  its the pre thats the prob. Thats a nice pre, an interesting tidbit about the volume controls on MFs. The volume knobs were designed to look like the gas caps off a late 60s Aston Martin.(think it was an Aston Martin).

Ok, cool. Yes it is. I didn't know that. Thanks.

Moon Doggy

« Reply #18 on: 1 Jun 2009, 06:14 am »
Rega and Bryston take different approaches to Hi-Fi. Rega tries to make their CD players sound "Analog" to cover up the perceived and real inadequacies of Cd. Being a TT Company and all. Wheras the Bryston Amps and CD players aim at resolution and are highly revealing. Just for interests sake try swapping the Saturn for a Bryston or Cambridge 840C Cd player in a demo session. Unfortunately your beautiful Saturn may not go well with the new Bryston amp IMO.  :cry: I've heard the Apollo and that would definitely be the case. I believe the Saturn is a similar sound.

Also silver cables are not good with Bryston as others have pointed out.

danman

« Reply #19 on: 1 Jun 2009, 12:13 pm »
Moon I have the 840C and although not as good as the Bryston, definately second best! Very good match with my 4B-SST2. I plan on getting the Bryston however in the near future. Just not really in a rush as I want to see what is on the horizon for CD's.