Magnepan layout for HT in 16'x23'x9' room.

schugh

Magnepan layout for HT in 16'x23'x9' room.
« on: 12 Mar 2014, 05:41 am »
Hello, our new house is under construction where I will have a dedicated Music and Home Theater room in the walkout basement.
The room is 16' wide by 23' long by 9' high. There is a door in the corner of one of the short walls.
There are no Windows.
Currently I have 1.7s being driven by the Bryston 4BSST2.
I will move the 1.7s for surround use and I will be buying 3.7s for the fronts and using them with 7BSST2 (trading in my 4BSST2).
The 1.7s and the Center CCR will be running from the Anthem MRX-510.

Anyway, music is top priority, but honestly I do enjoy watching a lot of movies also, so I want to fit in the biggest screen that I can.
I would like minimally a  120" screen (haven't decided on 16:9 or 2.35:1 yet).

Should I put he 3.7s and the Screen along the short wall or along the long wall?
If on the short wall, they will be closer to the side walls just about a foot to the outer edge of the 3.7s.
If on the long wall, and if I move them out say 4'-5' from the front wall, then the seating may be too close to the rear wall.

Also if the screen is 9' wide will the 3.7s at 10' wide inside edge to inside edge be OK. Or is that too much?
That means I will have to sit about 10' back from the plane of the speakers which is not optimal for movie watching but I suppose I could just move the seats up when watching movies and back when listening to music or something along that line?

I would appreciate any input. I've read many threads about magnepan setup and rules about speaker positioning.
And I still can't decide what I want to do.
Either setup I'm looking at is not exactly what is recommended by the Cardas speaker positioning rules for example.

But it's clear to me now that when combining music and HT, compromises have to be made.
Just can't make up my mind on what to compromise.

Thanks,

-- Sanjay

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Magnepan layout for HT in 16'x23'x9' room.
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2014, 09:45 am »
One vote for short wall, pass the popcorn.

SwamisCat

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2014, 03:24 pm »
I second the vote for short wall.  Tweeters in.

I wouldn't move the chairs back and forth.  I would find an optimal position for the sound.  An extra foot or two back shouldn't make a huge difference for viewing pleasure.

Good luck. What projector are you getting?

mrlittlejeans

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2014, 03:31 pm »
I'm rebuilding my house and my two channel room is going to be about the same size.  I'm going to have a dedicated theater in a different room so am not as concerned about how big a screen I can get in the two channel room though I plan on a 110" diagonal 16x9.  The theater will have a 2.35:1 screen.

I vote short wall.  I had 3.6's in a room that was 15' X ~22' and they sounded great with tweets on the outside and flanking a 110" screen.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2014, 05:02 pm »
So when we get invited over do we have to bring our own 3D glasses or do you have extras?

mrlittlejeans

« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2014, 02:21 am »
Heh.  I'll probably have six or seven seats in the theater.  Haven't got the design back from the Erskine Group yet.  Will have that many 3D glasses at least.  You're more than welcome to come check it out when all finished though you may have to slum it listening to the 3.6's I've got now.  I haven't decided to whether to replace the 3.7's that burned up or not.  I'm halfway thinking about picking up a used pair of 20.1's and having them shipped to Magnepan for a rebuild rather than get some 3.7's.  Thoughts on 20.1 vs 3.7?  To be clear, the two channel room will have the Mags.  The theater is getting either Procella or Triads.

schugh

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2014, 03:11 am »
Thanks for the replies.
Unfortunately my new house as expensive as it is, isn't big enough to allow me to have a separate Music and HT room.

After hearing from you guys and from another forum, I've decided to stick with the original plan and go with the short wall.
We'll have to work out the screen size (and I still can't make up my mind on that new regarding 16:9 or 2.35:1) and seating and speaker position. I think it will work better for me.
It will also allow my to have the opposite short wall for all the built in media shelving for my Records, CDs and Blu-Rays.

Thanks,

-- Sanjay

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2014, 06:54 pm »
I also have a dedicated HT / listening room about those dimensions and run 7 channels all Magnepan.  I painted the screen wall & ceiling all black and the rest a darker grey. It really helps to make the screen pop.

I run the screen + 1.7's, CC5 and subwoofers across the front short wall.  I have Ikea Expedit bookshelves that run about 3/4 of each long wall to serve as diffraction and also storage for books & media.  This does remove another foot from each side, so speakers + a 96' Stewart Studiotek 130 screen just barely fit along the short wall.  It's a 16:9, and that's what I would suggest as most HD media is in that size and you don't have to worry / mess w/ masking.

With what space is available the speakers are probably closer to the back and side (less important) walls than ideal.  The first row (two recliners) is about 8-10 feet away, and also have a second row along the back wall which is raised about 8 inches on a platform so they can see over the first row.

Guess the message is to measure very carefully before committing yourself to larger speakers / screens - there's less room to work with than you might imagine. 

A few other random comments :

1) The room length gave me two bass nodes, but using a three foot bass trap wedge from ATS (I think) in each front corner seemed to take care of that. The bass traps are not that expensive & available in a range of colors & fabrics.  They are heavy so shipping is a bit pricey. 

2) I tried both the MMG-C and CC5 center channels & didn't feel the CC5 was 4 times better at 4 times the cost.  It was more efficient and played louder and was somewhat better of a timbre match for the 1.7's as it's QR.  So would caution against spending the even bigger bucks for the CCR unless you can try before you buy.

3) I use regular full size MMG's on custom (door) hinges for the surround L/R and MMG-W's for the rear two channels.  I think the MMG's are probably overkill, and 1.7's would be even greater overkill.  There seem to be very little source material that makes abundant use of the surrounds, particularly at the lower frequencies.  The front two channels, then the center channel really make the biggest difference.  So i'd say save the $ and use MMG-W's for surround sound duty.

4) You'll really want one or more subwoofers for the home theater use.  They don't have to be super high-end : I use two entry level Velodynes I bought used for next to nothing.  If you do want to go high end, BG-Radia's in wall subwoofer panels are some of the most impressive I've heard. But even a single good subwoofer from SVS or HSU would do the trick in a room that size.

5) All the lights from all the gear on the rack can get a bit distracting in a darkened room, but on the other hand, if it's not line-of-sight you'll have problems with the remotes.  So have the rack preferably have a nice tinted glass door, or invest in an IR repeater so you can have the gear out of view if you prefer.

Best of luck & enjoy!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2014, 09:25 pm »
Mr. Littlejeans,
Just so I'm clear, how big a room are you going to have for these speakers? 

mrlittlejeans

« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2014, 03:26 am »
Two channel room will be 16' 8" x 22' 8" with 9' ceilings per the plans.  I will probably lose 2" or so on each direction as I plan on double drywalling with green glue and maybe some iso clips.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 14 Mar 2014, 09:15 am »
You'd just better finish up with that 20.1 deal you're working on. 
I think that will work out really well for you.

MGbert

« Reply #11 on: 14 Mar 2014, 07:06 pm »
I also have a dedicated HT / listening room about those dimensions and run 7 channels all Magnepan.  I painted the screen wall & ceiling all black and the rest a darker grey. It really helps to make the screen pop.

Hey J, welcome back to the fold!

Can I come take in a concert DVD sometime?  I'll even bring pizza...  :thumb:

MGbert

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar 2014, 08:03 pm »
Hey J, welcome back to the fold!

Can I come take in a concert DVD sometime?  I'll even bring pizza...  :thumb:

MGbert

Thanks!  Welcome over anytime & invitation extended to anyone else in the D.C. / Baltimore area as well…….its been a while since we met up.

Got your hard drive to return to you as well….

Jon