New member's V-2 build [Complete]

Groundzero

Re: New member's V-2 build [Complete]
« Reply #100 on: 2 Jan 2011, 10:54 pm »
Tyson,
I can't really pull them any closer to me. They are already roughly 3' into the room, anymore and I'll have no space to walk. It's not in the pictures, but there is the futon I sit on right out of frame. Sitting back in the futon my head is only 7' 6" from the speakers.

Ed,
Can you link what you mean by a parabolic diffuser? I have no idea what that is and Google isn't helping too much.

Thanks guys  :thumb:

ebag4

« Reply #101 on: 2 Jan 2011, 11:18 pm »

Ed,
Can you link what you mean by a parabolic diffuser? I have no idea what that is and Google isn't helping too much.

Thanks guys  :thumb:

This is what I built but I there are many types of diffusion that would be effective:

Pay no attention to the karate belt, that was a joke for a member of another site.

Best,
Ed

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #102 on: 2 Jan 2011, 11:28 pm »
Hi guys,

I have a little problem I'm hoping you all can help me with. It seems no matter how I position the speakers the sound stage is very tightly focused in the center between the speakers. I have tried  extreme toe-in, no toe at all, and everywhere in between. Sharp vocals/treble were a problem with only slight toe-in and I found that they got less intense the more I angled them inward. As I understand it, the opposite of this should be true? I was discussing it with a good friend and he said that it is likely caused by bad reflections in the room. I was wondering if anyone could offer some suggestions like room treatments, positioning, etc. I'm sure the slanted ceiling isn't helping either.  :?

I would agree with your friend. Having that angled wall/ceiling is going to mess with your soundstage... You might try some absorption material across that V area.
Check the picture here on the side
http://www.realtraps.com/howto.htm for example

Also having the big flat reflective surface between the speakers is likely going to negatively affect it as well.

Good luck.
Tony

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #103 on: 3 Jan 2011, 12:04 am »
With walls that close, I'd say you need absorption much more than most people, particularly in the corners and seams of those walls.  Also, try moving your TV back as far as possible so it's as close to the wall as you can get it.

Tyson

« Reply #104 on: 3 Jan 2011, 12:08 am »
Also, have you tried the tweeter-foam tweak I posted a topic about a while back in this forum?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #105 on: 3 Jan 2011, 02:23 am »
It could just be your receiver. :surrender:

Groundzero

« Reply #106 on: 3 Jan 2011, 02:44 am »
With walls that close, I'd say you need absorption much more than most people, particularly in the corners and seams of those walls.  Also, try moving your TV back as far as possible so it's as close to the wall as you can get it.

Thanks for reminding me of the foam trick! I read about it before buying the V2 kit but entirely forgot.  :thumb: I already have the TV as far back as possible, the issue being that I still have to be able to get behind it to open/close the window. I'll start looking into absorption but I think it'll have to come after a proper amp.

I would agree with your friend. Having that angled wall/ceiling is going to mess with your soundstage... You might try some absorption material across that V area.
Check the picture here on the side
http://www.realtraps.com/howto.htm for example

Also having the big flat reflective surface between the speakers is likely going to negatively affect it as well.

Good luck.
Tony

Eek. Those are a little expensive aren't they?

This is what I built but I there are many types of diffusion that would be effective:

Best,
Ed

Unfortunately something like that isn't possible because of the window. However, the curtains I have hanging there did say something like "Light blocking and sound absorbing" on the package so I guess it is something at least?

I don't doubt it, the thing was part of a 5.1 HTIB for around $300. It is being fed my by Meier Audio StageDAC so at least part of the equation is decent. Luckily I'm close to being able to afford the Virtue M451 after getting some money from family during the holidays.  :xmas:

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #107 on: 3 Jan 2011, 02:48 am »
Oh my post was basically to show a picture of what you need to do to try and tame that area. It could be something diy or buy something less expensive.

-Tony

kp93300

« Reply #108 on: 4 Jan 2011, 03:04 am »
May be your cd player .
regards

kp93300

Groundzero

« Reply #109 on: 31 Jan 2011, 05:43 am »
Well, I finally got the amp. It's a M451 with Sonicaps, Sonicap platinum bypass, and the 30v/130w psu upgrade. What a difference it makes! Before I think my receiver was trying to output a signal a subwoofer that wasn't there and it was robbing the L/R channels of all the bass. Now I'm absolutely blown away by the bass that comes out of the V-2s. When I first hooked up the M451 I went to get some water in the kitchen and left a song playing. I could feel the bass in the floor all the way in the kitchen, which is downstairs and on the other side of the house. :thumb: I readjusted the plate amps afterwards to a more realistic level of bass, but wow, just knowing they can do that puts a smile on my face. :D  The amp also brought them to a new dimension of detail. I can hear all the micro detail of every instrument clearly without having to concentrate at all.

Tyson,
Do you have a picture or a link to the type of foam you stuffed in the tweeter? I was hoping that with a proper amp the treble might calm down, but I still find it to have a bit too much bite. I tried googling a couple terms but everything seems to bring up mixed results.

Danny Richie

« Reply #110 on: 31 Jan 2011, 02:29 pm »
Do you have a picture or a link to the type of foam you stuffed in the tweeter?

I don't remember what he called that foam, but there is a whole thread on it here in my circle.

I liked using just a little bit of it in my personal pair. It was a very small amount.

You can also lower the value of the resistor that is mounted across the back of the tweeter cup. That will bring the level down a little.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
Re: New member's V-2 build
« Reply #111 on: 1 Feb 2011, 03:43 am »

Those turned out REALLY nice GZ. :drool:

I recently built a pair of these for an AC member in a Satin Black finish. They were more work than I had anticipated! You executed them beautifully.

Ruben

OzarkTom

« Reply #112 on: 1 Feb 2011, 04:00 am »
Well, I finally got the amp. It's a M451 with Sonicaps, Sonicap platinum bypass, and the 30v/130w psu upgrade

Great amp, I still love mine. :thumb:

Tyson

« Reply #113 on: 1 Feb 2011, 04:19 am »
Here you go - http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1750/Filter-Foam-Reticulated

All you need is to cut a piece of it into a 1 inch cube and insert it in front of the tweeters.  Word of warning - the tweeters will calm down A LOT as you use them.  I started out with a lot more foam and gradually reduced it to the 1 inch cube over time.