I am getting a lot of calls about these LS-6 cabinets

mojave

Re: I am getting a lot of calls about these LS-6 cabinets
« Reply #40 on: 31 Aug 2010, 04:14 am »
For the people who don't live near CO, how are you guys arranging shipping? I was hoping I could arrange for FedEx to pickup, but it looks like I won't have enough time. Also were you charged sales tax?
There is a phone number listed at the auction website that you can call to get info on shippers. I have a friend in Denver that is picking up an MFW-15 and two pairs of Palisander LS6's for me. He was already planning to come to Omaha next weekend so he will be bringing them for me.

gprro

« Reply #41 on: 31 Aug 2010, 04:38 am »
For the people who don't live near CO, how are you guys arranging shipping? I was hoping I could arrange for FedEx to pickup, but it looks like I won't have enough time. Also were you charged sales tax?

The auction people were giving out this number for  Pack Mail-303 237 9240, contact person was Justin. You have to get ahold of them early tomorrow id guess. You may have time to create a fed ex account and do a call tag for pick up. The fed ex delivery driver would print the shipping tag and attach at the longmont location. Good luck!

Milehighguy

« Reply #42 on: 31 Aug 2010, 05:16 am »
I managed to pick up the "approximately" 14 woofers for my Pali LS6 cabinets!  Pretty stoked about that, as long as there are actually 14 in the lot.  I do have to pay shipping though, so it won't be huge savings.

It would be sweet to see some of those crossovers moved at a reasonable price...we'll have to wait and see.
You out bid me on that lot. Actually, I counted those woofers, and " approximately 14" turned out to be 15!

Milehighguy

« Reply #43 on: 31 Aug 2010, 05:18 am »
i got myself a couple things as well. itll be interesting to see how shipping charges work out, since im outta state.

i was quoted over 400 to ship ls6 cabs to my place (witht he shipping co packing them themselves) so i decided to stay out of those auctions.

Milehighguy,
i actually won that lot that had the wrong picture online(164). im hoping i dont get the short end of the stick on that one!
I could be wrong on that, I'm just going on memory. Hope it works out for you

Milehighguy

« Reply #44 on: 31 Aug 2010, 05:20 am »
Congrats!  I was thinking about this during dinner, and I figured you must be building the monster 7.1 system of all time.   :green:
No, I'm sticking with 2 channel, I just got a little carried away with the amazing prices. Having a brother with a flatbed truck and storage space helped too.

freerider

« Reply #45 on: 31 Aug 2010, 05:27 am »
You out bid me on that lot. Actually, I counted those woofers, and " approximately 14" turned out to be 15!

Sorry about that.  But considering I've got empty LS6 cabinets in my garage, my cutoff price was pretty high.

Milehighguy

« Reply #46 on: 31 Aug 2010, 05:51 am »
I'm not complaining. I'm thinking I did pretty good :thumb: I would have gone higher, but I was getting nervous about all the items I was bidding on and how much money I could have potentially ended up owing.
That place was really something to see, a speaker lover's fantasy for sure. I don't think I will ever see that kind of opportunity or those kind of prices again.

Savage

« Reply #47 on: 31 Aug 2010, 05:53 am »
Yep, it's me. 

I did manage to pick up a few items and will be glad to pass along the savings.

Woo Hoo! Maybe my LS6's won't have to be a wine rack for too long. Thanks Danny.

As for the auctioneer making mistakes, I'd guess it was av123's issue. They were the ones who separated all the items into lots and then turned that information over to the auctioneer. Christine at the auction house was very straight forward with me. They didn't know what most of this stuff was, and they too wanted smaller lots. She told me that they couldn't guarantee that anything at all was working. They had two days for inspection and the rest was buyer beware, pretty normal auction rules. The LS6's that I bought, a picture of a LS9 was shown instead, without it being noted in the description. No LS9's were available for sale. The bonus on all of the LS6's is that they were all brand new in sealed banded boxes. Probably not even B-stock.

av123's problem with this auction was that they didn't make the lots small enough and it cost them, their creditor's and the auction house a lot of money. I doubt they were paying a per lot fee as the 16% surcharge was going to the auction house. I considered bidding on a dozen MFW's and just have them throw away what I didn't need, but I couldn't do that in good conscience. So now I'm interested in some MFWs if there's someone who doesn't want all of what they got. You would'nt even have to handle them to turn a profit. In fact, a couple people hadn't considered shipping & packing before, so if they want to resell any item, I may be interested. PM me.

It's been a long time since I've been at an auction, but this is the first time I had ever seen a auction surcharge, as it has always been a cut taken out of the seller's amount. It was disclosed, if you happen to be one that actually reads the disclosure when you check the terms and conditions box. I imagine this helps get the money higher, as few consider things like tax when purchases are made. Personally, I think this is a crappy way to make a bunch of extra money. With taxes, it was almost another 25% more.

Someone mentioned something about sales taxes. I think if your out-of-state, you don't have to pay sales tax. That you're supposed to claim on your state taxes at the end of the year, which I heard a man from Iowa did back in '92. The auctioneer got their auction surcharge, so I think the sale would still be from av123 to the highest bidder. If they say the sale was from the auctioneer, and the auctioneer has a business in your state, then they have to collect taxes for your municipality not Colorado's. That's how every internet transaction I have ever done has worked. There can't be different auction rules or taxes would be charged on E-bay transactions.

mojave

« Reply #48 on: 31 Aug 2010, 02:08 pm »
The bonus on all of the LS6's is that they were all brand new in sealed banded boxes. Probably not even B-stock.
If they would have noted that at the auction these probably would have gone for a lot higher. I paid more for an MFW-15 w/driver than I did for either pair of LS-6's that I purchased. If I had known they were in boxes, I might have gone for 3 pairs to be the foundation for a 7.1 setup.

Syrah

« Reply #49 on: 31 Aug 2010, 03:23 pm »
Hi All,

I have a pair of LS-9 flatpacks in my attic that I've been meaning to build.  I would be happy to buy some of this stuff from those who want to sell it at a reasonable prices with reasonable markups for their efforts.

I would be interested in either parts to finish my LS-9s, or to scrap the flatpacks and go with LS-6 cabinets and parts.  Please PM me if interested.

Thanks.

vfreeman13

« Reply #50 on: 31 Aug 2010, 05:48 pm »
Is this the correct pick-up location for the auction?

2150 West 6th Avenue
Broomfield, CO 80020-7157, United States

Danny Richie

« Reply #51 on: 31 Aug 2010, 06:03 pm »
I think this is correct:

AV123
1001 Delaware Ave.
Suite C
Longmont, CO 80501

mojave

« Reply #52 on: 31 Aug 2010, 06:40 pm »
Yes, the Longmont address is correct.

Danny, if someone (like me) were to have a 5.1 or 7.1 system with LS-6's, what center speaker would you recommend? These would be in a large family room, so a horizontal center would be the least intrusive. Were there plans to design a center or is it assumed that most will use the LS-6's with a two channel system?

devste

« Reply #53 on: 31 Aug 2010, 06:48 pm »
I, as well as many have used the X-voce and find it works well with the LS6's.  Also, the X-voce can be upgraded through the skiing ninja and I heard it makes a significant difference and it may work even better if it's ninjad. 

I think Danny may even have some options as well but I'm not 100% certain.  I'm sure he'll chime in and give you the best advice for a center though.

mcallister

« Reply #54 on: 31 Aug 2010, 07:37 pm »
Yes, the Longmont address is correct.

Danny, if someone (like me) were to have a 5.1 or 7.1 system with LS-6's, what center speaker would you recommend? These would be in a large family room, so a horizontal center would be the least intrusive. Were there plans to design a center or is it assumed that most will use the LS-6's with a two channel system?

I use 3 LS9's for the front soundstage. I recently bought a pair of N3S for side surrounds from Ron and couldn't be happier. They match very nicely with the 9's. A single N3S would work great in a center design.

PS if anyone bought a pair of the LS6 at the auction and don't need them let me know I'm wanting a pair for LS6 or LS4 for my back surrounds:)

Danny Richie

« Reply #55 on: 31 Aug 2010, 09:26 pm »
mcallister nailed it.

Also, a single OB-7 on its side works great as a center channel too.

devste

« Reply #56 on: 31 Aug 2010, 09:49 pm »
Hi Danny,

This may be a dumb question but I'm wondering if you'd have to center the tweeter of the OB7 in order for it to sound right as a center or would it work OK if you just centered the whole speaker in your system?  It just seems like the sound would not be balanced due to the tweeter being near the top of the speaker, making it far off to one side when it's horizontal.  Maybe it would be OK because it's an OB design.  When you get a chance can you explain Danny?

cujobob

« Reply #57 on: 31 Aug 2010, 09:54 pm »
Well an OB7 on it's side, would have the MTM arrangement perfectly centered.  The other drivers are for <200hz and are still close to the MTM, I'd imagine you wouldn't notice, but if you could build one out from scratch, making an OB7 version of the X-Voce is probably the best idea

Danny Richie

« Reply #58 on: 31 Aug 2010, 10:16 pm »

Just use the plans for the OB-7 plus, minus the lower section.

mojave

« Reply #59 on: 31 Aug 2010, 10:28 pm »
That looks perfect. Does the crossover need any changes with the tweeter being rotated 90 degrees?