New speakers that are bad to bone (pics too)

Milehighguy

« Reply #20 on: 17 Sep 2005, 07:01 pm »
Ok, here's a few more ideas, and you can put "series" at the end of these if you like, and add model numbers as in my soundscapes examples.

Panoramic

Sonicscape

Audiovistas or Audiovista

Audiovisual or Audiovisuals

Holodeck

MaxCast

« Reply #21 on: 17 Sep 2005, 07:52 pm »
How about the Hol-e-Grail.  :lol:

GR Chamber Series

Zero

« Reply #22 on: 17 Sep 2005, 08:06 pm »
GR Research 'Evolution' series

GR Research 'Emotion (or Passion) " series

GR Research 'Prurience' series

GR Research 'Element' Series

The model names would follow that which inspires, or captures the very essence of what the series should represent and means to you.

Milehighguy

« Reply #23 on: 17 Sep 2005, 08:45 pm »
We're havin' fun now!

Here's a couple of longer names, but they can be abbreviated like the AV series is, and then model numbers added at the end.

AudioLandscape   or ALS  as in ALS 1, etc.

SoundLandscape   as in  SLS 1, SLS 2, etc.

Gooch

Great looking speakers
« Reply #24 on: 18 Sep 2005, 04:11 pm »
Hi Danny

Speaker look real good. I like the open baffel I have been reseaching speaker to build for weeks now and I am getting close. What is the cabinet size? Looks some what smaller then the RA8. Sure glad I haven't comitted to anything yet. Also I guess you could for go the plate amp and use a active crossover and a power amp.

hmen

« Reply #25 on: 18 Sep 2005, 04:16 pm »
The Sound Window.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #26 on: 18 Sep 2005, 08:27 pm »
Danny, don't forget your old friend Hank as a decent veneer finisher with my hand-rubbed Danish oil labor intensive work in rosewood (Brian was impressed).  Anyway, I can't wait to hear those speakers!  "Boxless sound" is the way to go.

Since it's a line source, how about the "GR Research Music Source" series?

Soundideas

« Reply #27 on: 18 Sep 2005, 09:21 pm »
Danny, I would call these new speakers the ''Concert series''

eros28

Question for you Danny
« Reply #28 on: 18 Sep 2005, 09:22 pm »
It looks like a great speaker but I do have a question regarding one of your other kits;

How does the A/V 4 (which also has an open back) compare sonically to these RA8 prototypes?

I know that they are different beasts size and configuration wise but due to the open back design...are they similar or completely different?

Will you be offering these kits without the 12" driver / plate amp? Does it have the same dimensions as the RA8 (without the 12")?

One last question, do you know if RAW will be carrying this kit (and future center channel, surround kits) anytime soon?

You've had some great candidates for naming this new speaker ....have any hit close to you heart?

:D

Danny Richie

Open baffle stuff
« Reply #29 on: 19 Sep 2005, 12:22 am »
What is the cabinet size? Looks some what smaller then the RA8.

63.25" tall. Yes it is shorter than the RA8.

Also I guess you could for go the plate amp and use a active crossover and a power amp.

The design has a lot of flexibility. You can power the subs with just about anything so long as it will allow a crossover point at 40Hz or lower. Not a lot of power is needed to balance them to the mains either. I only have 100 watt amps on them right now and have yet to have to really push them. The amps I am using only have a phase switch, but with it set at 180 it blends with them very well.

Since it's a line source, how about the "GR Research Music Source" series?

Hi Hank, It's actually not a line source. It could be called an array though be it a short one. Technically it is a WWMTMWW configuration.

How does the A/V 4 (which also has an open back) compare sonically to these RA8 prototypes?

I assume you are asking how the A/V-4 compares to the open baffle design featured in this thread?

The A/V-4 has a box-less sound to it that is similar to the open baffle array but it is different. The A/V-4 is well suited to small to mid sized rooms as it has 87db sensitivity and room gain of a small to mid sized room has been factored into the low end response.

This new open baffle design has higher 91db sensitivity and works well in medium sized to large sized rooms.

An open sound field and detail level is taken up a notch in this design as well. This one is extremely effortless.

Will you be offering these kits without the 12" driver / plate amp? Does it have the same dimensions as the RA8 (without the 12")?

It can be built without the side loaded 12" woofer and plate amps pretty easily and for less money. You could then ad a separate sub to the mix.

These are shorter than the RA8 design by a couple of inches but it is deeper.

One last question, do you know if RAW will be carrying this kit (and future center channel, surround kits) anytime soon?

Raw Acoustics is one of our dealers. They can also offer the kits as well as offering enclosures and fully assembled versions.

You've had some great candidates for naming this new speaker ....have any hit close to you heart?

There have been a few good ones but they are used already by other companies. As I typed this reply I noticed typing something in describing them that struck me as a possibility as well. "Sound Field", maybe better yet, the "Sound Stage Series". Maybe there is something else along those lines... ?

goskers

« Reply #30 on: 19 Sep 2005, 02:42 am »
Danny,

Could you give a description between the presentation differences of a full line array such as the Epiphanies and the new WWMTMWW, please?

If these also give a 'life-size image' then are there additional benefits from typical seated, non-ear bleeding levels that a full sized array would offer?

Thanks

Milehighguy

« Reply #31 on: 19 Sep 2005, 03:42 am »
Here's some more names ( I know you're thinking "will this guy ever give up?")

The Sonic Illusions series

The Sonic Visions series

The Sonic Panorama series

The Grand Illusion series

The Big Easy series

The  3DXtreme series

The 3DMax series

That's all for now.

Milehighguy

« Reply #32 on: 19 Sep 2005, 04:05 am »
Ok, one more.

The

Super Sound Stage Series.

Milehighguy

« Reply #33 on: 19 Sep 2005, 04:45 am »
Or, how about this one;

The''Open Sound Stage'' series

Here, the word "Open" has a double meaning, in that the speakers are open to the rear, and the sound stage sounds wide open.

Are you going to post frequency response curves or other measurements of this speaker ?  Does the open back nature of them make response curves difficult?

Danny Richie

« Reply #34 on: 19 Sep 2005, 03:26 pm »
Could you give a description between the presentation differences of a full line array such as the Epiphanies and the new WWMTMWW, please? If these also give a 'life-size image' then are there additional benefits from typical seated, non-ear bleeding levels that a full sized array would offer?

The Epiphany speakers have lower distortion across the board due to the use of so many drivers. This is evident when power levels come up. At low to moderate power levels it is not so easy to discern.

Seated or standing the Epiphany's are the same. Funny thing though is that with this design it has little difference in sound seated or standing as well. Part of this is due to the low crossover point to the tweeter of 1,800Hz.

One of the things an array or line source can do is present a variance in height of different instruments or sounds in the sound stage. For instance an instrument that is deep in the sound stage and to the upper right while at the same time presenting something down low and up front on the left or middle. Some lead singers appear to sit at ear level while others are standing or appear to be standing as they are well above ear level.

Both speakers do this vary well.

Vocals are clearly better in the open baffle speaker and this really draws me to these speakers.

I can move the Epiphany's out and not miss them with these speakers. These really are that good.

trekker

« Reply #35 on: 19 Sep 2005, 05:47 pm »
:?   Hmmm .... may be the competition was afraid of this new speaker and somehow made this thread disappear  :?:

londonbarn

« Reply #36 on: 20 Sep 2005, 02:54 am »
how about calling them the      "ACOUSTARRAY" series

BradJudy

« Reply #37 on: 20 Sep 2005, 03:22 am »
You could always go French with 'La robe sans dos' (backless dress).  :)

Barring that, you could go with my favorite name "freespeakersforbrad"   :mrgreen:

Milehighguy

« Reply #38 on: 20 Sep 2005, 06:21 am »
I promised myself I wouldn't submit any more names, but after re-reading your description of the sound, I have one final (I hope) series name.

The " Big Open Stage Speaker" series, or "THE BOSS"  for short. The" Big Open Stage Speaker" would designate This model.This model is THE BOSS.

You could then have model numbers following that, or names like
The BOSS Center, The BOSS rear (or surround), The Little BOSS, The BIG BOSS, Etc.

And that's my final offer!! (I hope!)

P.S. Or I suppose you could call it the "Big Open Sound Stage" series if you prefer, it would still be THE BOSS. :!:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #39 on: 20 Sep 2005, 06:45 am »
Nice job there Danny !!! They look good, guess I'll hear them at the show....as for a name... The "GR Research Coriolis"..... :dance: