Elac speaker review.

persisting1

Re: Elac speaker review.
« Reply #20 on: 14 Jan 2016, 08:57 pm »
I would think it be better value overall to have a proper 3 way over a tweaked out two way.

A 3 way speaker ins't better than a 2 way speaker just because it has one more driver.

goskers

« Reply #21 on: 14 Jan 2016, 09:29 pm »
A 3 way speaker ins't better than a 2 way speaker just because it has one more driver.

I agree. The ability to design a good 3 way is much more difficult.  I would think Andrew Jones may be capable of such though. 

simoon

« Reply #22 on: 14 Jan 2016, 10:43 pm »
I hardly think that anyone would be thinking about getting a pair of B5's with the express goal to upgrade them immediately.

The great thing about what Danny is offering here, is the option, for people on a strict budget, of getting a really good, inexpensive speaker. Then, in a short period of time down the road, for a fairly small amount of $, upgrading them, to allow the budget minded to bring their system up a couple of notches. Instead of having to sell their B5's (for probably half of what they paid), and then spending quite a bit more for their next step up.

It seems to me, to be a very good way to improve a system, at low cost, as a step between more major, and costly, upgrades.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: 14 Jan 2016, 10:49 pm »
Given the low cost and performance of the new line (Uni-Fi) it's a no brainer to get Andrew Jones designed speakers which are the next level up from the Debut Series.  So rather than buy the Debut, just wait and save a few more bucks and get the Uni-Fi and be done.  Andrew is no joke and knows what he's doing. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #24 on: 14 Jan 2016, 11:07 pm »
Given the low cost and performance of the new line (Uni-Fi) it's a no brainer to get Andrew Jones designed speakers which are the next level up from the Debut Series.  So rather than buy the Debut, just wait and save a few more bucks and get the Uni-Fi and be done.  Andrew is no joke and knows what he's doing.

The new models use metal cone drivers. Like many, I am not a big fan of the sound of metal cones. And they are still being released at a price point that would suggest the same budget limitations. The quality of the crossover parts might be no better than the budget models. So I wouldn't expect much more from the new models. 

NeilT

« Reply #25 on: 14 Jan 2016, 11:18 pm »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34 am »

Wind Chaser

« Reply #27 on: 15 Jan 2016, 12:45 am »
Interesting interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PZlKzALNzA

I clicked on the link expecting a review, not a promotional interview with a Best Buy sales rep.  :duh:

Jtrace - what gives dude?  :|

goskers

« Reply #28 on: 15 Jan 2016, 02:03 am »

The great thing about what Danny is offering here, is the option, for people on a strict budget, of getting a really good, inexpensive speaker. Then, in a short period of time down the road, for a fairly small amount of $, upgrading them, to allow the budget minded to bring their system up a couple of notches. Instead of having to sell their B5's (for probably half of what they paid), and then spending quite a bit more for their next step up.

The same could be done with the purchase of the less expensive and then reselling to reinvest by moving up a line.  I can speak from plenty of experience that once you modify something you will never get close to the same return versus a stock product.

Again, not trying to crap on this thread, just presenting other options.

maty

« Reply #29 on: 15 Jan 2016, 09:06 am »
Hi all from Spain

-> http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/01/ces-2016-andrew-jones-does-it-again-with-elac-ub5/

At CES 2016, Jones again had something new and amazing to show off. ELAC’s new UB5 (US$500/pair) standmount loudspeaker is a three-way with concentrically-configured 1″ tweeter / 4″ aluminium midrange driver and 5.25″aluminium bass driver, each sealed off in their own internal enclosure. The internal crossover network Jones describes as “more expensive, more advanced” and moves from bass to mid driver at 300Hz with the tweeter, a development of the B5’s soft dome, going out to 30kHz...

By the way, I have KEF Q100 (5 1/4" coaxial too) and next week I will change the capacitors and resistors (and wired).

-> http://medleysmusings.com/kef-q100-drive-unit-testing/

GentleBender

« Reply #30 on: 15 Jan 2016, 10:06 am »
The same could be done with the purchase of the less expensive and then reselling to reinvest by moving up a line.  I can speak from plenty of experience that once you modify something you will never get close to the same return versus a stock product.

Again, not trying to crap on this thread, just presenting other options.
This group is more into DIY and pushing the limits of other gear with modifications. Good point, but I don't think they are too worried about resell value. I don't feel these would be a problem to sell after Danny's mods, but YMMV.

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 15 Jan 2016, 03:02 pm »
Didn't anyone see the faux pas in the youtube review?  The guy didn't use the same speaker cable for the stock and modded B6.   :duh:

bdp24

« Reply #32 on: 15 Jan 2016, 03:14 pm »
I clicked on the link expecting a review, not a promotional interview with a Best Buy sales rep.  :duh:

You would rather hear a review of a loudspeaker than an interview with its designer? Each to his own!

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #33 on: 15 Jan 2016, 04:44 pm »
Didn't anyone see the faux pas in the youtube review?  The guy didn't use the same speaker cable for the stock and modded B6.   :duh:

Heh.  I caught that too.  :nono:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #34 on: 15 Jan 2016, 05:03 pm »
You would rather hear a review of a loudspeaker than an interview with its designer? Each to his own!

I think you're missing the point.

genjamon

« Reply #35 on: 15 Jan 2016, 07:35 pm »

The guy wasn't a Best Buy sales rep.  His name badge was backwards, so you were seeing the Best Buy logo on the back of his name badge.  I'm sure Andrew Jones's badge also said Best Buy on the back - they are probably a major sponsor of CES.  You can clearly see that this was an Audioholics interview by an Audioholics staff/volunteer.  The dude says he works in higher education somewhere in the middle of the interview. 

Though, as I'm also a higher education employee, I can see how you might have confused him with a Best Buy employee.   :oops: :lol:

bdp24

« Reply #36 on: 16 Jan 2016, 01:29 am »
I think you're missing the point.

Wouldn't be the first time! Enlighten me.

maxima95

« Reply #37 on: 16 Jan 2016, 01:29 am »
Interesting interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PZlKzALNzA

When I clicked the link captioned Interesting interview, I expected (and got) an interview.

bdp24

« Reply #38 on: 16 Jan 2016, 03:48 am »
When I clicked the link captioned Interesting interview, I expected (and got) an interview.

Me too! I don't know what point it was I supposedly missed.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #39 on: 16 Jan 2016, 07:02 am »
Me too! I don't know what point it was I supposedly missed.

You didn't see the emoticon?