GR Research Sub Boxes For Sale

bdp24

Re: GR Research Sub Boxes For Sale
« Reply #120 on: 20 Feb 2014, 01:23 pm »
Now THAT is the way to make cabinets! Ruben, do you cut the MDF and sell & ship the panels as flatpacks?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #121 on: 20 Feb 2014, 10:36 pm »
Here are some pics showing how they are built.

Front and back baffles are 1 1/2" MDF.

Top, bottom and sides are 1 1/8" MDF.

Braces are 3/4" MDF.

Cap is 1 1/8" MDF.

Base is 1 1/2" MDF.

Ruben

Ruben,

Where do you find 1 1/8" and 1 1/2" MDF?

Mike

Blacklightning

« Reply #122 on: 21 Feb 2014, 03:37 pm »
Hi padgman,

I've got (3) on hand that look just like this, but are matte black instead of piano black.

Please shoot me a PM if interested.

Best,

Ruben

I just wanted to say that I think your case is the most beautiful that I have seen so far for this kit.

I'm looking for a cabinet maker myself for a pair of those subs. Being in Canada my options are limited. I can get a couple Rythmik F12G's but I have it in my head that the 2 cu feet box will be better.

Danny Richie

« Reply #123 on: 21 Feb 2014, 05:41 pm »
Welcome to AC Blacklightening.

I have ordered some of the Rythmik Piano Black cabinets that we have used at a few shows. They are only 3/4" thick and lightly braced with a single X brace. So I open them up and line them with another layer of 3/4" MDF and No Rez. That stiffens them up and takes the air space down to near the 1.5 cubic foot mark which is ideal for our woofer. Works great!

rak313

« Reply #124 on: 21 Feb 2014, 06:13 pm »
...<snip>...
They are only 3/4" thick and lightly braced with a single X brace. So I open them up and line them with another layer of 3/4" MDF and No Rez. That stiffens them up and takes the air space down to near the 1.5 cubic foot mark which is ideal for our woofer. Works great!

I know everyone recommends stiff boxes.  Is the reason for that to eliminate sound radiating from the sides/top/bottom of the cabinet or is there some other reason?
Thanks

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #125 on: 21 Feb 2014, 06:25 pm »
Now THAT is the way to make cabinets! Ruben, do you cut the MDF and sell & ship the panels as flatpacks?

Sure, do!

Best,

Ruben

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #126 on: 21 Feb 2014, 06:58 pm »
Ruben,

Where do you find 1 1/8" and 1 1/2" MDF?

Mike

Hi Mike,

It was donated to Habitat for Humanity. I bought a bunch of it for cheap and it's really good stuff, too! I'm all out of it now, though.

Depending on where you live you may be able to find 1 1/2" MDF locally. Or have it ordered for you. The thickest MDF my suppliers stock is 1 1/4", but I think they can order 1 1/2". Apart from the stuff I picked up I've never seen 1 1/8" anywhere else.

Best,

Ruben

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #127 on: 21 Feb 2014, 07:13 pm »
I just wanted to say that I think your case is the most beautiful that I have seen so far for this kit.

Thank you!

I'm looking for a cabinet maker myself for a pair of those subs. Being in Canada my options are limited. I can get a couple Rythmik F12G's but I have it in my head that the 2 cu feet box will be better.

I know there are a couple of good builders who frequent the forum that are located in Canada. Use the member search and look up RAW. If he can't build them for you he may be able to direct you to someone who can.

Best,

Ruben

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #128 on: 21 Feb 2014, 07:30 pm »
Hi Mike,

It was donated to Habitat for Humanity. I bought a bunch of it for cheap and it's really good stuff, too! I'm all out of it now, though.

Depending on where you live you may be able to find 1 1/2" MDF locally. Or have it ordered for you. The thickest MDF my suppliers stock is 1 1/4", but I think they can order 1 1/2". Apart from the stuff I picked up I've never seen 1 1/8" anywhere else.

Best,

Ruben

Ruben,

Thanks.

Unfortunately, 3/4" is all I've been able to find locally.

Mike