Any Slimdevices SB3 users in St. Louis.

DeadFish

« Reply #20 on: 12 Feb 2006, 06:31 pm »
Thanks Alan!
I just told my wife it was coming and sent her to the NYTimes article.

....I still have my testicles, so I guess that it will be a good thing.. :wink:

DF

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #21 on: 12 Feb 2006, 07:01 pm »
IMO keeping my testicles is a very good thing ;)

jcrane

« Reply #22 on: 13 Feb 2006, 04:26 pm »
Quote from: Scott F.
Jamie,

Doing just the digital mods should be fairly inexpensive. The WBT NextGen is under $20 for the gold plated or just under $40 for the solid silver. The power supply cap (assuming we use Black Gates) should be right at $20 from John out at Musical Design. I've got the wire we need in stock.

Let me know if you want me to order one for you.

Scott
Go ahead and order me one then, let me know how you want to be paid.
I am going to order the SB2 today unless you think that the digital mods would work with the SB3. I know there are room issues on the SB3 and that the SB2 is the preferred unit for modding.

Jamie

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #23 on: 13 Feb 2006, 04:39 pm »
Scott,

I think I'll skip the NextGen's but would be interested in the power supply.

Bryan

DeadFish

« Reply #24 on: 13 Feb 2006, 05:15 pm »
Hey Scott!

If you haven't picked up the power supply caps yet, grab me one and I'll pop money in the mail to you until I see ya next.
Likewise, I know that power supply upgrade is an absolute 'must-do', if chasing upgrades, and am interested in the 'cheapie' Sturgus mentioned, or any cost-conservative alternatives or options.

I've been sitting on my wallet so long and now I'm getting pumped! (wife too!)

Thanks!
DF

Scott F.

« Reply #25 on: 13 Feb 2006, 07:18 pm »
Quote from: jcrane
Scott
Go ahead and order me one then, let me know how you want to be paid.
I am going to order the SB2 today unless you think that the digital mods would work with the SB3. I know there are room issues on the SB3 and that the SB2 is the preferred unit for modding.

Jamie

Jamie,

I think I'd go with the SB3. Granted the 2 has a bit more room inside, the 3 has modified some of the critical internal power supply feeds (as I understand) to come off the linear power supply rather than the switching ps.

Give me a buzz later this evening and I can dig let you knwo the rest of the internal changes made betwenn the two units.

I'll hold off until (say) Wednesday before I place the order. That way if there is any body else locally that wants to be added, they get a chance to post to this thread.

alana106

« Reply #26 on: 13 Feb 2006, 07:24 pm »
Scott,

I just sent you a PM.

Wayne1

« Reply #27 on: 13 Feb 2006, 07:37 pm »
There is ONE internal power supply change between the SB3 and SB2.

The digital buffer chip is fed 3.3 volts from the internal switching supply on the SB2

On the SB3 the 3.3 for the digital buffer comes from a separate regulator. The voltage feeding the regulator still comes from the switching supply.

The voltages supplying the analog section, while being linear regulators, also get the main voltage from the internal switcher. That is the same on both the stock SB2 and 3.

The extra voltage regulator is the only circuit difference. The space difference is more critical, IMHO.  It is very difficult to find high quality replacement PS caps that will fit in the space left in the SB3. There is no way to use high quality film coupling caps in the analog output of the SB3 and keep them inside the case.

jcrane

« Reply #28 on: 14 Feb 2006, 05:23 am »
Scott sorry I didn't call, I am working afternoons this week so I will give a call to you on Thursday. If we are talking digital mods only, then the SB3 does sound like a better choice. I have no real desire for the analog mods as I plan on using this modded fellow with a dac.

Jamie

alana106

« Reply #29 on: 14 Feb 2006, 03:19 pm »
DeadFish,

The UPS tracking # shows our SB3s should be here Friday. :D

Alan