Integrated amp recommendations for M3 Turbo S?

JackD

Re: Integrated amp recommendations for M3 Turbo S?
« Reply #60 on: 19 Nov 2017, 02:01 am »
Rebbi

Here is an interesting alternative at a great demo price from a trusted dealer.  This amp and it's predecessor are both highly thought of.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1VISV237

rebbi

« Reply #61 on: 19 Nov 2017, 03:00 am »
Rebbi

Here is an interesting alternative at a great demo price from a trusted dealer.  This amp and it's predecessor are both highly thought of.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1VISV237

Interesting suggestion – thank you!

JackD

« Reply #62 on: 19 Nov 2017, 04:02 am »
I'm assuming you would still get their standard 30 day trial period. Always wanted to try one but never saw one for this low a price and now don't need any more gear as I have stuff that needs to go now.  Could you get by with a combo of the Nuprime DAC-9/ST-10 it would get you under your limit and the two are small enough that even if you don't stack them then side by side still smaller than the average receiver or probably your AN amp.  Same is true of my preferred DAC-10/ST-10 combo if you search the dealers for a good combo deal.

Francation

« Reply #63 on: 19 Nov 2017, 06:26 am »
You could try a Hegel H80, I grabbed one for under $1000 the other day. Should have it this week, I'll try to give some thoughts on it once I've given it some time. Clayton also recommended the Schiit Vidar to me, probably a solid choice.

jseymour

« Reply #64 on: 19 Nov 2017, 02:06 pm »
Two Vidars are better than one driving my M3 Triode Master.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #66 on: 19 Nov 2017, 07:28 pm »
  Audio Hungary Qualiton A50i or A20i integrated. 50W or 20W class A with NOS tubes. Killer combo. www.audiohungary.com

charles

rebbi

« Reply #67 on: 19 Nov 2017, 08:00 pm »
  Audio Hungary Qualiton A50i or A20i integrated. 50W or 20W class A with NOS tubes. Killer combo. www.audiohungary.com

charles

Those are stunning.  :thumb:

rebbi

« Reply #68 on: 19 Nov 2017, 08:16 pm »
Rebbi,

Odyssey seperates...  :thumb:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=153885.msg1645307#new

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=153884.msg1645306#new

Very nice! Waiting for my AN SET to sell - got a few nibbles. But that Odyssey combo might be the ticket.

rebbi

« Reply #69 on: 15 Dec 2017, 04:03 pm »
Well, my Spatial Peeps,
The Audio Note Kits Kit 1 sold pretty quickly... I just haven't had much time for Internet forums over the past couple of weeks so I'm sorry for the late notice (to any of you who care...).  :lol:
Cleared around $1800 after shipping and fees and can throw a few hundred more dollars at this, so let's say I have around $2000-2300 (max) to spend.
Options I'm considering:

• Hegel H160 - available used or demo for under $2K. Great reviews. Built in DAC, somewhat limited, which I probably wouldn't use, but reportedly great power at the price and very neutral.
  • Odyssey - I've decided that a volume remote is non-negotiable, so Klaus's integrated's are out, since they are essentially power amps with volume pots but no remote. So I'd be looking at an amp-preamp combo. Klaus has a demo Candela preamp and could build me a bespoke power amp to go with it that would stretch my budget somewhat but might be doable.
  • Belles Aria integrated: MOSFET output stage, great (but under the radar) reputation, under $2K, USA built. Built in MM phono stage, although I don't know how good it is.
  • Schiit Vidar with (probably) Freya preamp: American made, 15 day trial, well within my budget. Clayton hasn't heard the Vidar with the M3TS but says that Schiit used the Spatial's for voicing the amp so he think's it's worth a listen. Also considered the Ragnarok but ( :duh: ) it has no remote, which is bizarre and puts it out of the running for me.
  • Yamaha A-S2100. An outlier, probably, to some of you, but it's supposed to be a tremendous sounding piece, gorgeous to look (not crucial, I know, but still...), musical and non-fatiguing, with a first rate MM/MC phono stage and a great, discrete headphone section. Retail is $3500, but there are a number of California based dealers on eBay selling them for $2300. Problem is they seem to be selling gray market units, so forget any support from Yamaha, which is why they're including a Square Trade, 3 year warranty.
  • Keep the Krell KAV-400xi integrated I'm currently borrowing (the amp that sent me down this solid-state rabbit hole) which the owner will sell me for $1200.

I know that a number of you are keen on Nuprime and the IDA-16 is within my budget, but I'm hesitant to go the hybrid Class A+D route and I don't have a rational reason for that, so feel free to tell me why I'm being stupid on that count.

Eager for your wisdom!   :o

Wind Chaser

« Reply #70 on: 15 Dec 2017, 04:42 pm »
I know that a number of you are keen on Nuprime and the IDA-16 is within my budget, but I'm hesitant to go the hybrid Class A+D route and I don't have a rational reason for that, so feel free to tell me why I'm being stupid on that count.

Let’s suppose for a moment that despite all of you who are keen on Spatial speakers, I was hesitant to go with open baffles, even though I didn’t have a rational reason for that. Would I be stupid on that account?

rebbi

« Reply #71 on: 15 Dec 2017, 07:55 pm »
Let’s suppose for a moment that despite all of you who are keen on Spatial speakers, I was hesitant to go with open baffles, even though I didn’t have a rational reason for that. Would I be stupid on that account?

Okay, mostly I can’t quite get past the stereotype of Class D sound. But I know that’s probably outmoded.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #72 on: 15 Dec 2017, 09:05 pm »
Rebbi, I dare say if you try it, you will buy it.

OzarkTom

« Reply #73 on: 15 Dec 2017, 09:33 pm »
You will never regret getting this amp. Rex said better than his $6500 AVC Lio.

http://www.cherryamp.com/stereo-maraschino-stm

Wind Chaser

« Reply #74 on: 15 Dec 2017, 09:39 pm »
That's not an integrated, is it?

JackD

« Reply #75 on: 15 Dec 2017, 11:48 pm »
rebbi

That demo Candela and a "custom" Khartago or even a stock Khartago would be a very good combo with the Spatial.  One good thing about Klaus' amps if even if you buy them stock you can upgrade at any time. 

restrav

« Reply #76 on: 16 Dec 2017, 12:24 am »
Well, my Spatial Peeps,
The Audio Note Kits Kit 1 sold pretty quickly... I just haven't had much time for Internet forums over the past couple of weeks so I'm sorry for the late notice (to any of you who care...).  :lol:
Cleared around $1800 after shipping and fees and can throw a few hundred more dollars at this, so let's say I have around $2000-2300 (max) to spend.
Options I'm considering:

• Hegel H160 - available used or demo for under $2K. Great reviews. Built in DAC, somewhat limited, which I probably wouldn't use, but reportedly great power at the price and very neutral.
  • Odyssey - I've decided that a volume remote is non-negotiable, so Klaus's integrated's are out, since they are essentially power amps with volume pots but no remote. So I'd be looking at an amp-preamp combo. Klaus has a demo Candela preamp and could build me a bespoke power amp to go with it that would stretch my budget somewhat but might be doable.
  • Belles Aria integrated: MOSFET output stage, great (but under the radar) reputation, under $2K, USA built. Built in MM phono stage, although I don't know how good it is.
  • Schiit Vidar with (probably) Freya preamp: American made, 15 day trial, well within my budget. Clayton hasn't heard the Vidar with the M3TS but says that Schiit used the Spatial's for voicing the amp so he think's it's worth a listen. Also considered the Ragnarok but ( :duh: ) it has no remote, which is bizarre and puts it out of the running for me.
  • Yamaha A-S2100. An outlier, probably, to some of you, but it's supposed to be a tremendous sounding piece, gorgeous to look (not crucial, I know, but still...), musical and non-fatiguing, with a first rate MM/MC phono stage and a great, discrete headphone section. Retail is $3500, but there are a number of California based dealers on eBay selling them for $2300. Problem is they seem to be selling gray market units, so forget any support from Yamaha, which is why they're including a Square Trade, 3 year warranty.
  • Keep the Krell KAV-400xi integrated I'm currently borrowing (the amp that sent me down this solid-state rabbit hole) which the owner will sell me for $1200.

Eager for your wisdom!   :o

for me the choice weould be easy here. Odyssey with all the upgrades and bells and whistles possible.

Samac

« Reply #77 on: 16 Dec 2017, 12:52 am »
As I sit here rocking to Mussorgsky's Pictures At An Exhibition you know which route I'd go, rebbi. :thumb:
The thing is if your enjoying your system with the Krell, buying it would be a good way to go as well.

After a year of looking into a new amp I went with the Nuprime IDA-16 because of the excellent price/performance potential and the 45 day trial period.

After living with it now for eight months I believe it to be a fantastic value; When you consider 200 watts of amplification combined with a great dac and excellent functionality (it has one of the best volume controls I've used).

Good luck in your search, rebbi.

Cheers,

Scott

gnatster

« Reply #78 on: 16 Dec 2017, 02:39 am »
Jumping in very late here. Going back to tube out of the question. My little M3S powered by a Rogue Cronus Magnum II integrated has been a dream.  Work from home, listen to it for many hours every day and in 2 years have not had a tube issue. Probably cause I have a full set of spares collecting dust. Musical, warm and inviting. Not hard to find on the secondary market. Has a great little MM phono stage too.

JackD