Speaker recommendations

ConfuciusSay

Speaker recommendations
« on: 17 Dec 2017, 02:05 pm »
Hi all!  We are in the process of moving to a new house in which my new dedicated room is small at about 13’x9’.  I’d like to get speakers that are appropriate for the room and which match well with my odyssey gear (candela+Khartago mono extremes).  Listen to many types of music but majority for this area will be classical, mainly symphonic and opera.  My budget is limited to at or below $1000 for now, don’t mind buying used.  If anyone has any ideas I’d be very grateful, I don’t live within reasonable drive to any nice audio stores and the amount of options feels a little overwhelming especially being limited on ability to audition.
Thanks!
Seth

Jonathon Janusz

Re: Speaker recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2017, 02:21 pm »
I saw these on US Audio Mart yesterday while wandering around the Internet:

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649398899-odyssey-audio-epiphony-speakers/

Adding a nice pair of stands will still keep you under budget. :)

gregcss

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2017, 02:27 pm »
Hello and welcome to the circle.

I have and used Salk Song"Surrounds" as main speakers. While they have the name "surrounds" they are excellent performers as main speakers and are listed at $895. Plus there are a few standard finishes available or pick your own +cost. You can talk to Jim Salk to cater those to your needs.

milford3

« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2017, 05:51 pm »
You can't go wrong with the Omega model Super 3 XRS.  It's in your budget and perfect for your room size.

OzarkTom

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2017, 06:00 pm »
You can't go wrong with the Omega model Super 3 XRS.  It's in your budget and perfect for your room size.

+1

No crossovers are the best.

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2017, 06:49 pm »
Speakers are so personal, I just heard a pair of $3000 speakers at a friends house (names withheld to protect the innocent) that he loved and I hated, go figure.

Salk's and single driver speakers are polar opposites in sound, you will have to hear both to decide. All Salk speakers have a similar Salk sound which value a flat frequency response and clarity, the main difference are the smaller Salk's have less bass, there may be a Salk speaker owner in your town and most people are more than happy to show off what their speakers can do. I own Salk's, where do you live?

A very, very good option is to buy the Odyssey Lorelei speakers w/Kismet crossover upgrade in the Trading Post, I have heard Odyssey speakers many times and they are excellent. $1100 is a screaming deal, you will never, ever find a speaker equal to or better than the Lorelei at this price.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154414.0

sunnydaze

« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2017, 07:20 pm »
As good as they might be,  it's likely that a 13 x 9 room is a bit small for these Odyssey speakers?    :dunno:

loki1957

« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2017, 07:29 pm »
I used a pair of Lorelei in a 12x12 room to great effect.

nature boy

« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2017, 07:39 pm »
What WGH said.  Do not hestitate.  Will work great in your room.

NB

Brettio

« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2017, 07:52 pm »
As the very happy owner of Lorelei’s with kismet upgrade in a 14’ x 14’ room buying those speakers for your room with the odyssey gear would be wonderful!  As others have said, at that price those are a steal and imo well worth extending the budget.  Not associated with the seller, just an opinion.

ConfuciusSay

« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2017, 12:41 pm »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions - I’m going to see if I can extend the budget because I’d love to get the loreleis but I may check out the epiphonys too. 
Thanks again!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #11 on: 18 Dec 2017, 05:30 pm »
  With Klaus's stuff any good speaker. But since you asked Lorelei of course followed by Maggie.

charles

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2017, 09:59 pm »
check out the Revel Concerta M16

Carl V

« Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2017, 09:59 pm »
the Kismet's in your room will work....
Klaus demo'd those in larger rooms to
great effect.

AlTran

« Reply #14 on: 18 Dec 2017, 11:14 pm »
All 4 of his speakers are great, i have all of them and compare them side by side. You can't go wrong with any of them. It all comes down to how you have them setup and placement. With his entry level Epi which I had them 5 feet away from the back wall and still got enough of the bottom end and wide soundstage in my big garage. Klaus does sell the matching stands for those Epi. If you have a wider budget then of course the beryllium does some magical things. I mainly listen to the liquids. The micro micro details are just too amazing.

WGH

« Reply #15 on: 21 Dec 2017, 02:01 pm »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions - I’m going to see if I can extend the budget because I’d love to get the loreleis but I may check out the epiphonys too. 
Thanks again!

Here ya go -

Odyssey Ephiphony bookshelf speakers. $375 total includes PayPal and shipping east of the MS river and $385 west.  Pickup in Birmingham, AL is great as well.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154527.msg1652364#msg1652364

I would still go for the Lorelei's.

aaron.luebke

« Reply #16 on: 21 Dec 2017, 02:14 pm »
The Lore's listed above came home with me last night.

Scott F.

« Reply #17 on: 21 Dec 2017, 03:25 pm »
It sounds like Aaron gobbled up the Lorelei's. Don't be afraid to take a chance on the Epiphany's. They are a great speaker. I own two pairs and love the way they present music.

Here's a couple of links to old articles I wrote about them.
http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/epiphony_e.html
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0705/odysseyaudio.htm

What I typed back then, still holds true today. The best part of that combo will be the massive soundstage that your system will project, and that's hard to do in a small room. Keep in mind, these are a mid-to-back hall speaker. They aren't a front row speaker that extracts the minutia on every recording.

Considering your budget, you could add a pair of stands and a small 10" powered sub and have a great sounding system that is perfect for your smaller room. It's something I could certainly enjoy for a long time without being tempted by the upgrade bug.

Happy hunting!

sunnydaze

« Reply #19 on: 21 Dec 2017, 06:40 pm »
Considering your budget, you could add a pair of stands and a small 10" powered sub and have a great sounding system that is perfect for your smaller room. It's something I could certainly enjoy for a long time without being tempted by the upgrade bug.

Happy hunting!

+1     :thumb:

Get a sub with a built-in filter and high-pass your mains.  Removing LF duty makes them perform like a much better speaker -- cleaner, more open and relaxed, less distortion. 

I do exactly this with a Gallo CL-10 sub and my JM Reynaud Twins Mk3 (or Omega Super 7XRS mk2) in my secondary system in a similarly sized room as OP (10' x 11').  As do two of my buddies with stand mounts and small floorstanders.  They report the same improvements. 

This small rig is different but just as enjoyable as my larger room main system with speakers costing over 6X the price.  Since they were being closed out last year, Gallo CL subs (10 and 12 inch versions available) can be found cheap on the used markets.  I prefer the Gallo CL to the REL Storm I owned previously.

I much prefer high-passing the mains to running them full range plus simply adding the sub to the bottom.  This approach delivers huge buck bang!  For a few hundred $$ you get: (1) greater LF reach and weight, (2) tuneable bass (low-pass and output controls on sub for proper blending), and (3) a not subtle upgrade to your main speaker's performance in the mid bass to HF range.

(Last February I saw the 12 inch version go for less than $200 on an AG auction!)
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2017, 10:13 pm by sunnydaze »