Back EMF

DSK

Re: Back EMF
« Reply #80 on: 21 Nov 2007, 12:30 pm »
A commercial speaker designer/mfr of my acquaintance reckoned the main gain as a result of bi-wiring was to effectively increase the guage of the "earth/return" leg (and hence reduce the overall 'R')!  :?

In other words if you single-wired but added a second earth/return wire, you'd get the same benefit.  I have never experimented with this concept.  ...

The Eichmann cables are also examples of using a thicker return leg than the hot leg.

RonR

« Reply #81 on: 21 Nov 2007, 04:27 pm »
Bi-Wiring is supposed to reduce EMF bouncing around between the speakers and the amp

From what I remember about my old Royd Apex speakers (Transmission line, BTW), they had an option to split the cross-over into High-pass and Low-pass halves, with separate cables to each half. This has the advantage of giving each driver/crossover pairing it's own path from the amp output terminals. As a bonus, I'd imagine that the small but finite resistance of the cables would somehow "decouple" the 2 halves.

I never tried it, as I didn't have enough cable for 4 runs at the time :violin:

Cheers,

Ron.
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2007, 04:45 pm by RonR »

andyr

« Reply #82 on: 21 Nov 2007, 08:02 pm »
why only the return leg? the hot leg in bi-wiring is also doubled
so the total wire resistance relative to amp output impedance is halved?

Or is my logic all wrong? :P

Hi Kyrill,

I was merely reporting what someone who made speakers commercially, had told me.  I have no idea whether it is BS or not - as I said, I never experimented with this idea.

Regards,

Andy