Home Theatre Bypass ???

jake3

Home Theatre Bypass ???
« on: 12 Dec 2004, 09:30 pm »
I cant find a past thread that explains this properly, so anyone care to fill the gaps for me?

My system contains:

Denon DVD 2900 (Universal)
No dedicated CD player
Denon AVR 3300
ME 550 II Power Amp

I am going to build a GK-1 and wish to use it to sweeten the musical side of things. What is the best way to integrate it, and what does the Home Theatre Bypass do?

Do I run the GK-1 in line with the AVR and funnel all DVD/CD signals through both?
(DVD-GK-1-AVR-ME-Speakers)
or
(DVD-AVR-GK-1-ME-Speakers) baring in mind the DVD has 6 interconnects going to the AVR for DVD Audio/SACD.

I was hoping to avoid the AVR for music - CD/SACD/DVD Audio, and send the signal direct to the amp (DVD-GK-1-ME-Speakers)....
But using the AVR for movies of course.

The ME has 2 sets of inputs, AC Coupled and DC Direct, can I use both of these, one for each preamp, one at a time? I dont know what the difference is between them.

Is there an elegant solution or am I just wanting too much?

Is there a way the Home Theatre Bypass can help in this matter?
All thoughts appreciated. :?

AKSA

Home Theatre Bypass ???
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2004, 09:51 pm »
Jake,

Integration of two channel with HT can be problematic.  Some of the AKSAphiles have taken this on, and a few have been successful, Fred S. in Texas being one. (You there, Fred?)

The HT bypass is a simple switch which routes all GK1 input direct to the output, without passing through any active circuitry OR the volume control.  Really, however, you want a bypass on your AVR;  this is not something the GK1 can do.  But the significant issue is that the GK1 will only handle two channels, not three or five, so this will limit your GK1 interconnection to two channel only, with the other one or three channels controlled through the AVR.  The M and R versions of the GK1 are source selectable to CD, DVD, Aux, Tuner and Phono, with any of these further selectable to HT Bypass, so you can take your pick on which source you use.

Hope this answers the question!

Cheers,

Hugh

jake3

Home Theatre Bypass ???
« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2004, 10:16 pm »
Thanks Hugh. No miracles then?

You are right, a bypass on the AVR would be nice, I dont want it involved in my music listening. However, in the interests of being sensible it may have to play a part.

Not sure why you would want to HT Bypass your very fine GK-1 though?