My sub $100 Linux Music Box

JakeJ

My sub $100 Linux Music Box
« on: 3 Jan 2023, 05:36 am »
I bought this little Celeron powered computer a couple of years ago for a project at work that didn't take place.  I found it still in its box and figured what the heck!

I went online to do some Linux research and was a bit overwhelmed at all the "distros".  I chose Mint Cinnamon 21.1 (current stable, not beta) mostly due to the large following and support crowd.  I followed the instuctions to download, and make a bootable USB stick to install the OS.  I think it's very cool you can just run it to try it out.

Once I had it installed and rebooted I went through the steps to get wifi logged into the router, and Linux immediately detected software updates just like the big boys.  Within 20 minutes I had new Linux computer running on my desktop!

It ain't much.  Just 2GHz Celeron CPU with 2Gb ram and a 32Gb SSD running fanless.

I spent a couple of hours sifting through the downloads for Linux.  Then I checked to see if Tidal was available but no, however Spotify is so I downloaded it and this little box will make music for hours.  Is it super duper hi-rez ooh ahh?  No but it ain't bad for background music, and I like the mixes.

I'm thinkin' it might be kinda cool to get a portable drive to load a bunch of music on and make it a portable streaming source.

It was a fun little project that panned out well and has room for improvement.

Yatsushiro

Re: My sub $100 Linux Music Box
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2023, 08:31 am »
These are excellent little boxes. You may wish to try an audio OS such as Volumio, which offers Tidal, Spotify Qubuz etc:

https://volumio.com/en/get-started/

JakeJ

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2023, 02:30 pm »
Thanks, Yatsushiro.  I'll check it out.

whell

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2023, 09:36 pm »
Just to throw another audio OS to the list, Daphile is lightweight, quite flexible, and sounds great. 

JakeJ

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2023, 09:53 pm »
Thanks, whell, I'll check it out.  Dumb question - Since these are a complete operating systems they would need to be installed on thier own drive or partition, correct?

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2023, 09:55 pm »
Mint is excellent!

I myself have settled on Xubuntu.  The repository is well stocked with applications, and the Xfce window manager is pretty lightweight.

I don't run anything but Linux.  I had a Windows box once.  Nah.

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2023, 09:56 pm »
Thanks, whell, I'll check it out.  Dumb question - Since these are a complete operating systems they would need to be installed on thier own drive or partition, correct?

Yes that's pretty much the deal.  f you are going to keep them permanently (rather than just booting off a usb stick to test) a separate drive might be best since they will create partitions of their own.

JakeJ

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2023, 01:59 pm »
Hi Yog,

Linux is new to me and I know nothing of the Terminal and writing code but that may not be necessary.  I figure I would try other distros in the future.  I'll have to check out Xubuntu.

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2023, 04:18 pm »
I have enjoyed Linux on Pi's for audio, have a surplus old netbook kicking around I could consider trying this with.  Tks for the post.

shadowlight

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jan 2023, 04:31 pm »
You can also use Daphile x86 PC if you are comfortable with the Logitech Squeezebox setup.  If you have Raspberry Pi you can us picore as a Logitech replacement.  I am currently using both the Pi with a 7" screen which is a similar setup to Logitech Touch.

JakeJ

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jan 2023, 05:21 pm »
shadowlight,

Please post a pic of that rig, thanks.

JakeJ

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jan 2023, 05:22 pm »
And anybody else for that matter, we all like to see what people are talking about.

mitch stl

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jan 2023, 06:09 pm »
It is amazing what you can do if you are willing to experiment a little.  Here is an Inovato Quadra (available for $30) which I am using as a streaming player for my office headphone setup. On the left is an Audioengine N22 amp, and below the Quadra is a Topping E30 DAC.  The Quadra comes with Armbian (a Linux distro) pre-installed. I added the Squeezelite player program which picks up its music (included Qobuz) from my Logitech Media Server which runs on a Raspberry Pi.  My other players are both Raspberry Pi boards running PiCorePlayer.  It all works and sounds great.

mitch stl

« Reply #13 on: 4 Jan 2023, 06:17 pm »
And here is the bedroom system with a Raspberry Pi 3B and HiFiBerry DAC2HD card and 7" RPi display with a LSA VT-70 tube amp.  Software is PiCorePlayer, a Linux audio-only distribution. Speakers (not shown) are Spendor 4/5s (their current interpretation of the classic LS 3/5a.)

Sadly, Raspberry Pi boards are still hard to come by and expensive -- they used to be $35 give or take, and the chip shortage moved them to the $100 to $200 range. I understand that situation is starting to improve and that maybe, just maybe, things will be back to normal this summer.

mcgsxr

« Reply #14 on: 4 Jan 2023, 09:00 pm »
I have been using a smaller portion of my FLAC collection (50GB flash drive vs the 4TB outboard drive) as I get more used to Volumio running as server/player.  I do have a "spare" Pi I could use as the server but wanted to see if 1 could do both.  I ran LMS for years on a netbook as the server, but wanted to try a Pi.  Have enjoyed PiCore and Volumio as the server s/w in my past explorations.

Not much to look at, but here is my small 2 channel setup.  Pi4 (iFi power supply) USB into Wadia (DAC/pre) and then to the active Dynaudio speakers.  Easily controllable via app on phone or html page on desktop (my office is now in a corner of the basement, so I sometimes play music during the day - but I am WAY out of the sweet spot so it is purely background for those hours).

JakeJ

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jan 2023, 02:37 am »
Nice photos, gents.  Thanks.

How about some of the lesser known SBCs?

Libre 1
Libre 2
Orange Pi

mitch stl

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jan 2023, 03:41 am »
Not familiar with the Libre, but I believe the Orange Pi can run the Armbian software which means it should be able to be set up as a Squeezelite player.  After you install the Squeezelite program, you'll need to edit the /etc/default/squeezelite configuration program to tell it how to recognize the USB DAC you've chosen to use.

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #17 on: 5 Jan 2023, 02:56 pm »
Hi Yog,

Linux is new to me and I know nothing of the Terminal and writing code but that may not be necessary.  I figure I would try other distros in the future.  I'll have to check out Xubuntu.

These days it not really necessary, although you may run into time where instructions require a terminal widow.  For basic things it's pretty easy.

shadowlight

« Reply #18 on: 5 Jan 2023, 05:12 pm »
You can install Daphile on the internal drive or you could run it completely off the USB.  Once the system is running it runs completely in memory.

I will post pictures of the PiCore setup once I get the basement setup up and running.  Just got my integrated amp back from the repair shop.

JakeJ

« Reply #19 on: 5 Jan 2023, 05:48 pm »
Hi shadowlight,

Yes, I learned that with Mint (and some quick research showed most distros can be run in memory).  Look forward to the pics.

So I chose this pc for my experimental Linux distro platform.  I will divide the 256 Gb SSD ino four 64 Gb chunks and that will give me four distros always on hand to rotate on and off of a partition.

MeLE Stick PC