You Dont Have to Spend Mega-Bucks for NOS Tubes in Headphone Amps!!

adydula

• Restricted
 Wow....

I have tried three sets of matched pairs in my Lyr with a set of Audeze LCD2 r2's.

I hate to have to spend "hundreds of dollars" on tubes, new or old..if its not really necessary.

I got a set of GE 6BZ7's with the Lyr and bought a set of EH6922's from an internet source.

Bacsically I have been cycling in and out these two pairs for several months now...with good results...

Over the past months I am liking the GE 6BZ7's better than the 6922's...wasnt this way at first....hard to say if its just the different sound is appreciated more etc...when you go thru a change or swap.

Reading all you posts about these mega buck tubes but no wanting to pay for a set of tubes what the Lyr costs...well..

So ordered a set of tubes and spent and hour listening to specific albums and songs with the GE's then popped them out and put in the new tubes...let them warm up for 30 min or so and started listening to the same material.

WOW and WOW and more WOW....

I just can not bring myself to believe that these tubes are so different than the GE, which I think are superlative for low dollar tubes.

Well, all those adjectives used by so many people came to mind:

Soundstage, Imaging, Seperation, Accuracy, Tonality, Musicality, Dynamic, and 3 Dimensional.....oh gee.....

Kenny Rankin, Nora Jones, Sara K, Larry Carlton, Knofler and Emmy Lou Harris, Dutch Jazz Demos, Flim and the BB's, Diana Krall, Keiki Matsui (24 bit)... and on and on...

I did not want to take the cans off the experience was that good.

All the minute details, left, right and center stage were there in spades.....the sound of the reeds in the saxophpones, the perfect piano tones female voice...OMG Norah Jones like she was there!! (and I did get to see her in comcert front row center).

I have traded notes with Jason for some time about tube choices, gain of tubes and even his favorite choice....

I have discovered for a very low dollar amount the best overall presentation of the LYR paired with Audeze LCD2's to date that I have heard.

oh....you want to know what the tubes are....

Well they are a set of matched 6N1Ps  from Schiit Audio for a whopping price of $20.

Maybe I got lucky with a perfect pairing and match to the Lyr I have...but my goodness its so perfect.

Schiit uses a curve tracer to match tubes....

All the best!

Alex

:thumb:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Sounds like you scored some good Schiit.

saisunil

nice ...