COLLEGE FOOTBALL RETURNS!

Emil

Re: COLLEGE FOOTBALL RETURNS!
« Reply #300 on: 3 Aug 2018, 12:05 pm »
Hey Emil.  I see your buddies at Penn State just landed one of Oregon's coach's son....a big time QB. 

Thieves!   :nono:

I heard. :thumb:
A very good sign when you can recruit prospects from anywhere in the country instead of just surrounding states.
We also nabbed a nice WR from Florida.

Mudslide

« Reply #301 on: 3 Aug 2018, 03:42 pm »
I heard. :thumb:
A very good sign when you can recruit prospects from anywhere in the country instead of just surrounding states.
We also nabbed a nice WR from Florida.

Yeah, and Oregon is doing the exact same thing (3rd ranked class in the country - 247 Sports!!)...kids from 10 or so different states.  That QB, Johnson, also played in Florida before he (and his coach dad) came to Oregon.  I wonder if he and your new WR are buds. 

The Ducks just yesterday landed a 4* LB out of Florida.  The kid looks awesome.  Ge'mon Eaford.  (Ge'mon?   :scratch:)  Outer-regional recruiting has always been the dominion of the big boys...USC, Alabama, tOSU (hahahahaaaa), Notre Dame, Penn State etc.  Now this new Oregon coach (Mario Cristobal) has Oregon on the same trajectory in a big way.

As an aside, but related....I had a friend (56+ years ago) in high school in San Diego...that went to Penn St. (and became the Chair of PSU's Business Dep't.)...who tried to get his younger brother (a LB) to play there...who instead opted to play for USC.  People going everywhere even back then.....   I went to UC Bezerkely and my roommate came from Hawaii to play basketball........

Emil

« Reply #302 on: 4 Aug 2018, 11:50 am »
Clemson #2 in the preseason power rankings behind Alabama. 

#1 rated defense in the country and there will be a hell of a battle for the starting QB position this year.

Go Tigers!

I understand the team is loaded with juniors and seniors and a bunch of NFL talent.
Tigers are sitting pretty this year for sure but will Clemson reload or rebuild after this year?

Emil

« Reply #303 on: 4 Aug 2018, 11:54 am »
As an aside, but related....I had a friend (56+ years ago) in high school in San Diego...that went to Penn St. (and became the Chair of PSU's Business Dep't.)...who tried to get his younger brother (a LB) to play there...who instead opted to play for USC.

The weather is nicer in Southern California :D

Mike B.

« Reply #304 on: 4 Aug 2018, 04:49 pm »
I hope my Ducks are back on the right road. New coach who seems to be a good fit and has the right background. Former Alabama assistant. Strength training has been beefed up. QB Justin Herbert looks bulked up and could be a Heisman candidate this year. I give the new coaches and system 3 years to get us back to the top.

Mudslide

« Reply #305 on: 4 Aug 2018, 07:42 pm »
I hope my Ducks are back on the right road. New coach who seems to be a good fit and has the right background. Former Alabama assistant. Strength training has been beefed up. QB Justin Herbert looks bulked up and could be a Heisman candidate this year. I give the new coaches and system 3 years to get us back to the top.

....Maybe two years?.... :icon_surprised:  There are a LOT of underclassmen on the team...quality athletes.  And this year's recruiting class is out of this world crazy good!

Emil

« Reply #306 on: 26 Aug 2018, 05:50 pm »
Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Michigan State.

Is there a tougher Conference than the BIG10 this year?

Mudslide

« Reply #307 on: 26 Aug 2018, 06:24 pm »
Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Michigan State.

Is there a tougher Conference than the BIG10 this year?

What SEC?  :lol:  BIG10 is awesome this year.  tOSU might lack some luster this year, though.  (And rightfully so.) 

Go Lions!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #308 on: 27 Aug 2018, 12:40 pm »
Thanks for college football (and the Canadian Football League) to provide alternatives to the overpaid, over advertised, over scandalized, over reviewed, over commentated, long running games of the NFL.  I may watch the NFL playoffs after the college season is over. 

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #309 on: 27 Aug 2018, 02:35 pm »
College football is more exciting, a team can be down 28-0 at the half and still win 36-28.  In the pros for most games the same score at the half means the game is over.  I still love watching my pro teams play because I'm emotionally invested, but often turn off other games out of boredom.  I don't really have any teams I'm totally tied to in college ball, I have favorites but that can change every year, but I'll watch almost any college game.  I guess that comes from being a Robert Morris alum, no team to root for.

Emil

« Reply #310 on: 31 Aug 2018, 04:57 pm »
So who are you guys following this weekend?

My Nittany Lions vs App State of course. PSU favored of course but a lot of questions  looking for answers.
Saquan Barkley and a host of others have left for the NFL. Senior QB and heisman candidate Trace McSorely remains.  Offensive coordinator Joe Moorehead has left for the head coaching job at Mississippi State and replaced with assistant off coordinator and QB coach Ricky Rahne.

Michigan and Notre Dame Saturday night.
This is Harbaughs make or break year IMHO. A lot of talk about this years team with his new tansfer QB.
A win against OSU and/or MSU is a must otherwise I see him on the next plane out to the NFL.

Let the games begin!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #311 on: 31 Aug 2018, 09:05 pm »
Go Oklahoma State Cowboys!

« Last Edit: 1 Sep 2018, 12:53 am by I.Greyhound Fan »

Mudslide

« Reply #312 on: 31 Aug 2018, 09:51 pm »
GO DUCKS!      :wink:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #313 on: 1 Sep 2018, 12:41 pm »
College football is more exciting, a team can be down 28-0 at the half and still win 36-28.  In the pros for most games the same score at the half means the game is over.  I still love watching my pro teams play because I'm emotionally invested, but often turn off other games out of boredom.  I don't really have any teams I'm totally tied to in college ball, I have favorites but that can change every year, but I'll watch almost any college game.  I guess that comes from being a Robert Morris alum, no team to root for.

There are few college teams I root for, mostly I enjoy the game and seeing the performance of good athletes.  Somehow it seems that college players are faster than the pros, probably relative to each other.  Hard to get serious about a bunch of college kids playing ball.

ohenry

« Reply #314 on: 1 Sep 2018, 11:48 pm »
Hey Penis State, the tiny but mighty Appalachian State almost beat you.  We play.  Enjoy your shame at home.  :P

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #315 on: 2 Sep 2018, 01:15 am »
There are few college teams I root for, mostly I enjoy the game and seeing the performance of good athletes.  Somehow it seems that college players are faster than the pros, probably relative to each other.  Hard to get serious about a bunch of college kids playing ball.

You have to have a vested interest in a college team or conference.  I went to Oklahoma State and love watching win but not quite make it to the championship every year.  I also root for the Univ.of Minn every year and watch them go 5-6 or 6-5 every other year, LOL.

Emil

« Reply #316 on: 2 Sep 2018, 11:41 am »
Hey Penis State, the tiny but mighty Appalachian State almost beat you.  We play.  Enjoy your shame at home.  :P

Penis State? What are you 10 years old?

Go celebrate your loss :duh:

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #317 on: 2 Sep 2018, 01:23 pm »

A couple of years ago there was a minor discussion on sports talk shows about if the powerhouse Alabama team that year might compete with the worst NFL team.  Mike Golic emphatically settled the issue telling us the pro line play would easily crush any college team, even Alabama.  I think you're correct with the relative speed being key, there are of course some players with NFL speed and they're matched against slower players, in the NFL everybody is fast, even the linemen, so you don't notice their actual momentum.  If you ever get a chance to see a training camp in person where you can get much closer to the action, you can see just how friggin scary fast these guys are.

More on topic I saw a couple of okay games yesterday, nothing dramatic, some great plays with the Notre Dame touchdown being the best.  Even in slow motion it was hard to see how he caught it.

ohenry

« Reply #318 on: 2 Sep 2018, 02:33 pm »
Penis State? What are you 10 years old?

Go celebrate your loss :duh:

Just stating facts.  And the hurt dog barks...

ASU did win.  They got paid to play the Sandusk-holios.  Play someone a little larger than a big community college and see what happens.  :lol:

Emil

« Reply #319 on: 2 Sep 2018, 02:48 pm »
Just stating facts.  And the hurt dog barks...

ASU did win.  They got paid to play the Sandusk-holios.  Play someone a little larger than a big community college and see what happens.  :lol:

I guess I was right.